Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #106
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
and some 4 books by somebody about a wizard and a lesser wizard and an otter and somebody else, fighting some great evil. I remember the lesser wizard's name was something like Faringay and the wizard was something Grey something. And that's all there was..
end quote

An otter????

I need to read this!!! An otter???? How cool is that???
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #107
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
How come? I'm not criticizing, just wondering if it could be because of all the similar efforts that have come since. Sort of like the first time I listened to Robert Johnson - I thought "this sounds really bland and familiar" and then realized why.

Well, it has been about three decades since I read a collaboration between those two writers.

What I seem to remember, at that time, was that I didn't find the humor particularly funny. However, my sense of humor - on this Board, anyway - goes toward the wild side, as I believe I've now reached an age whereby I can now discern sterile aridity of thought and staid, stodgy intellectualism -- and so many people who are wedded to the Intellectual Banking Theory of Knowledge are soooo boring. Give me "carpe diem" and "The Dead Poet's Society" any day. Throw Foucault to his mad dogs! Bring on the zombies! is my battle cry. Tear down those precious Ivory Towers!

Now, back to "Reality": I really think I would enjoy the novels now, so I plan to go back and reread them. I think I very well might enjoy them.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-03-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #108
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Quote:
and some 4 books by somebody about a wizard and a lesser wizard and an otter and somebody else, fighting some great evil. I remember the lesser wizard's name was something like Faringay and the wizard was something Grey something. And that's all there was..
end quote

An otter????

I need to read this!!! An otter???? How cool is that???
Coolest otter evar! Mudge in the Spellsingercycle by A.D. Foster
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #109
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, it has been about three decades since I read a collaboration between those two writers.

What I seem to remember, at that time, was that I didn't find the humor particularly funny.
A little of Pete the Cop does go a long way. I always liked the Faerie Queen one the best. Harold is an unsympathetic character in the original Norse myth story and watching him get his comeuppance isn't all that amusing, plus there's no Chalmers to speak of.

What I really enjoy is the critiques of the source literature.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #110
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I think part of the problem (Which is unfortunately very Common) was that success of the Series itself led to him adding in more and more, without anyone really wanting to tell him enough is enough.

As long as people Like us kept on buying, there was no real incentive to shorten up and finish.

I've read the series from Book one to ten at least half a dozen tmes, and you can really see how he seemed to have lost focus on the ending sometime around book 4 or 5. I actually stopped reading around Book ten, deciding to only go back when the last book in the series comes out.
I guess people like us didn't all keep buying though! I quit after the third or fourth book because they were just too long. I loved the story but there was just way too much 'fluff' in there...
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #111
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Actually I think she talking about the Circle of Light series by Niel Hancock. It had talking animals. The first book was Greyfax Grimwald; the second was Faragon Fairingay. It was one of the first fantasies I read after reading Tolkien. Or I should say, tried to read. I couldn't make it past the first quarter of the book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niel_Hancock
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #112
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #113
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Actually I think she talking about the Circle of Light series by Niel Hancock. It had talking animals. The first book was Greyfax Grimwald; the second was Faragon Fairingay. It was one of the first fantasies I read after reading Tolkien. Or I should say, tried to read. I couldn't make it past the first quarter of the book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niel_Hancock
Well now I am going to have to look them both up!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #114
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Coolest otter evar!
Perilously close to being a contradiction in terms (give or take an h)!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #115
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Well now I am going to have to look them both up!!!!
Have you read Ring of Bright Water? It's non-fiction but it has otters. It was a movie too.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #116
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Have you read Ring of Bright Water? It's non-fiction but it has otters. It was a movie too.
Can't say that I have. I've SEEN an otter in the wild and got a huge kick out of watching it interact with the seals it was trying to adopt. Or perhaps more accurately, it appeared to want to be adopted by the seals.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #117
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Piers Anthony isn't the only one who runs a series into the ground. I eventually gave up on Stasheff's Warlock books, Aprin's Myth series, and Dickson's Dragon books. The first book was delightful in all three cases, and then they started going downhill. Seems like the exploration of a new fantasy world and, in some cases, the hero's exploration of his magical talents, will carry one book, but after that there was a tendency for all three authors to get bogged down in political/business maneuvering, Life Lessons, and "how to win friends and influence people" type lecturing.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #118
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Piers Anthony isn't the only one who runs a series into the ground. I eventually gave up on Stasheff's Warlock books, Aprin's Myth series, and Dickson's Dragon books. The first book was delightful in all three cases, and then they started going downhill. Seems like the exploration of a new fantasy world and, in some cases, the hero's exploration of his magical talents, will carry one book, but after that there was a tendency for all three authors to get bogged down in political/business maneuvering, Life Lessons, and "how to win friends and influence people" type lecturing.
I liked the first Stasheff book immensely, thought the second was much less effective, and never bothered with the rest. I never got into Asprin's Myth series at all, and vastly preferred other of Dickson's works to the Dragon books.

Authors keep writing them because editors ask for them, and it pays the bills. Editors ask for them because they continue to sell. I get tired of a lot of these series rather quickly, but I suspect I'm atypical.

I do wonder how many series like this weren't intended to be series, and suffer because the author never asked "If this book does well, the editor will want more. Am I comfortable writing a series in this setting? Do I have more to say beyond what I'm putting into the first book?"

And some books take the author by surprise. Roger Zelazny, for example, never expected the Amber books to be his magnum opus, and the second series shows signs of Roger doing it because the editor wanted more Amber books rather than because he wanted to write them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #119
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I do wonder how many series like this weren't intended to be series, and suffer because the author never asked "If this book does well, the editor will want more. Am I comfortable writing a series in this setting? Do I have more to say beyond what I'm putting into the first book?"
I read someplace that Asprin always planned a series (he said he'd originally intended Another Fine Myth to be the title of the second book, not the first), but it was many years before the first sequel appeared, and it seemed tired and pedestrian when it did. Not sure about Stasheff - I seem to remember he wrote King Kobold not that long after Wizard in Spite of Himself, but it sank into thoroughly deserved obscurity in its first incarnation and it was years before the series was revived. I suspect you're right about the Dickson, though; The Dragon and the George would have been a perfectly good standalone, and again it was years before the inferior sequels appeared.

P.S. All this reminds me, one sequel I really wish would appear is the lost Venture of Karres manuscript. I mean, Schmitz managed to finish Witches of Karres to very near the standard of the original novella, so there's hope that his imagination wouldn't have flagged for the sequel. (Before anybody mentions the Flint/Lackey travesty, I'm trying to expunge it from my memory.)

Last edited by wayrad; 11-03-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #120
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
I read someplace that Asprin always planned a series (he said he'd originally intended Another Fine Myth to be the title of the second book, not the first), but it was many years before the first sequel appeared, and it seemed tired and pedestrian when it did. Not sure about Stasheff - I seem to remember he wrote King Kobold not that long after Wizard in Spite of Himself, but it sank into thoroughly deserved obscurity in its first incarnation and it was years before the series was revived. I suspect you're right about the Dickson, though; The Dragon and the George would have been a perfectly good standalone, and again it was years before the inferior sequels appeared.
The Dragon and the George is one of those books whose central conceit is good for a novel, but doesn't really stretch beyond it.

Another like that for me is Mary Gentile's _Grunts_.

It's something like Tolkien's universe, and everyone including them knows the forces of darkness will get greased, save that a dragon's hoard is unearthed by the bad guys and has things like AK-47s and Apache attack choppers. The balance of power is dramatically altered.

You get lines like an Orc complaining to a superior that Orc marines don't leave their own dead behind on the battle field - it wastes food.

It isn't a series, but the book it became is probably about twice as long as the idea merits, since it's essentially an extended joke.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 11-04-2009 at 08:27 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote