Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
pookielocks
pookielocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Does Kindle 2 Save You Money on Books?

I read an article on Maximum PC that had the following information, but I was wondering how REAL owners felt about theirs. What are some of the other benefits of owning a Kindle 2?

Hardcover Books:

"What we found about hardcover books came as a bit of a surprise. Both fiction and nonfiction hardback books came in at almost exactly $26 per book, average. For these books, (which tended to be the most recently released) the price for the Kindle eBook versions was a uniform $9.99 across the board. That makes for an average savings of $16 a book, meaning that you only need to buy about 23 books to make up the price of a Kindle 2. That means that if you’re type who loves to read the newest books on the market and can’t wait until they hit paperback, you could very comfortably pay off your Kindle in less than a year, assuming you read a book every two weeks or so."

Trade Paperbacks:

"When it comes to trade paperbacks (the nicer, bigger ones), the discounts get a little less deep. For both fiction and nonfiction trade paperbacks, the average price came out to about $14.50. The Kindle eBooks for these titles were slightly discounted, averaging out at about $8.80, for a savings of about $5.70 per book. At that rate, it would take about 63 purchases to get into the black. That’s quite a few books, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. People who read a book a week, for instance, could reach this number in just 15 months."

Mass-Market Paperbacks:

"Finally, there’s mass-market paperbacks. These are the smaller, cheaper paperbacks that comprise most genre fiction like sci-fi and fantasy, as well as the popular fiction that you see at drug stores and airports. If you tend to buy mass market paperbacks, either because you’re frugal or because you’re a fan of a certain genre, you’re pretty much out of luck when it comes to saving money with a Kindle. The average savings for one of these books is only $1.29, meaning that you’d have to buy about 280 of them before you break even."
pookielocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Well, that should be for both Kindles, not just K2.

I can and do read a book a week, easily. With the Kindle I often read a book a day. I may possibly have spent more money because I am reading so much more, but I have now cut myself off and have vowed I will learn how to get the library books and other free books.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I would generally agree, although some new books have been creeping above the $9.99 threshold to as much as about $14.00. That's still a substantial savings over a $26 hardcover edition.

There are also various giveaways, free public domain books, books for $1 promotions, etc. The device is expensive, but you definitely save money on books.

I've even found some nice deals on mass-market paperbacks. It just depends. At least so far, the Kindle edition is always cheaper than the print edition.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I you want to save money on "books" (your reading expenses) do not buy a $300+ device.

Go to used books stores, garage sales, join book swaps, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
pookielocks

bob -- what are the benefits of kindle that you see?
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielocks View Post
bob -- what are the benefits of kindle that you see?
For me it is about:

1. Portability - I can carry 10, 20, 100 books at one time.

2. Readability - I can adjust the font size as needed based on the amount of light and how tired my eyes are.

3. Comfort - Holding the kindle is much nicer than holding a heavy hard cover book.

4. Compactness - I don't need to find alot of space to store my books. Thousands are stored on my PC's hard drive.

5. Convenience - I can look up a word in the built in dictionary, highlight a passage, annotate it, have multiple bookmarks, search in books.

5b. I can easily buy books without going to the book store. I don't have to worry if they are out of stock or closed, etc.

6. Value add - The kindles web browser is basic but you can access wikipedia and other news sites. Perhaps your email site. All for "free" via whispernet.

Those are the reasons I prefer a digital reader and ebooks to p-books.

That said, if all you read are public domain books that you were paying for in printed form, then yes you can save money. As a matter of fact, the majority of ebooks I have read have been free. Many via TOR giveaways and other promotional giveaways by various publishers.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
healanb
healanb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
One of the main benefits of the Kindle is the ability to download sample chapters for free.

I don't know how many times I've either gotten a book from the library or bookstore and discovered I didn't like it after several chapters. Granted, I haven't spent any money at the library although I spend my gas money in returning the books.

It might take a couple of years for me to save money by having the Kindle. In the meantime, I thoroughly enjoy it.

Healan
healanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
pookielocks

thanks for all your help!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Another advantage I'd add to pilotbob's list is not having to find room to store books. You can keep the electronic book the the kindle and/or PC and not worry about space on the bookshelf, moving boxes of heavy books every time you move etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
traciwest
traciwest began at the beginning.

need to know more

Need to know more about kindle offerings. Best place to get books. Best sources of information.
traciwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Another advantage I'd add to pilotbob's list is not having to find room to store books.
I thought that was what my point number 4 said.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

D'oh. Guess I just read "compactness" and didn't read what you typed after it.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Amazon used the hardcover numbers to provide evidence as to how much money you save with a Kindle. However I 'rarely' buy hardcorvers.

From the cost of the books I normally get, I estimate it will take about 50 books or so, which for me is about 1.5 years. Basically the more you read the faster it pays off. Also there is some value in all of those free books that you get on the Kindle (and savings with newspapers)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It saves me money.

I read mainly non-fiction. Philosophy, history, theology, cultural criticism, etc. I tend to read more on the academic side of things, not the popular side. What that means is I'm more likely to be reading some nasty bit of academese rather than a more popular books ("The Courage to Be" by Tillich rather than "The Shack"). And what THIS means is that a) lots of it is quite pricey, b) no local bookstores will carry these and c) my library won't carry them either. I do buy a lot used, but a lot are often dusty and kind of musty and it bugs my eyes a lot.

The Kindle has a lot of what I like, however. And the prices are much better. Secondly, almost any bit of classical literature/philosophy/etc is available for free.

So... I'm happy with my purchase. But it really is more about the convenience. The hardest part for me is deciding if I want to get the print or the ebook version.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

To actually answer the thread topic this time, I imagine the Kindle will cost me money as I'll probably buy a lot more books now that I have one.

I didn't buy a lot of books before as I hated having a physical copy that I'd probably never read again that I either had to find a place to store (and deal with boxing up and lugging around with moves--and I move a decent amount) or sell/donate. Factor that in with the convenience of being able to buy books right from the device and I'm sure I'll spend more.

But that's a good thing! I bought it so I'd read more due to the convenience.