Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #31
spanky
spanky began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
I like what fictionwise did with the old hardware ebook readers. Until I dropped my ebookwise I loved it. I hope they use ereader to expand the availability of ebooks on the only truely afforable ebook reader.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It might, but it would help Reader sales.
Is eReader format really that popular? I've absolutely no "feel" for how "big" or otherwise it is, unfortunately, never having used it myself. I have a vague feeling that it at least used to be mainly a "Palm thing" (is that right?) and I was never "into" Palm devices.

You're right - if there are a lot of people out there with large collections of eReader format books, then being able to read them on a new device could indeed be a selling factor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #33
kkingdon
Enthusiast
kkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle Paperwhite
I acquired a lot of eReader DRM-locked books while I used various generations of Palm PDAs as eBook readers. At the time I began buying eBooks, eReader was the best format available. Now it has fallen far behind Mobipocket, IMO.

I, for one, would welcome a way to read my eReader-format library on my shiny new Cybook Gen3.
kkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is eReader format really that popular? I've absolutely no "feel" for how "big" or otherwise it is, unfortunately, never having used it myself. I have a vague feeling that it at least used to be mainly a "Palm thing" (is that right?) and I was never "into" Palm devices.

You're right - if there are a lot of people out there with large collections of eReader format books, then being able to read them on a new device could indeed be a selling factor.
eReader began as Peanut Reader. Peanut Reader was created by Peanut Press, an early ebook publisher targeting Palm OS PDAs. It uses a markup format called Palm Markup Language, which allows fonts, text attributes, hyperklinks and embedded images. It can also display Palm "doc" files -- ASCII files compressed to save space in RAM, and decompressed on the fly by the reader.

Palm bought Peanut Press and made them the Palm Digital Media division. An older freeware version of the reader called Palm Reader was provided with many Palm devices.

Palm sold the Digital Media Division to Motricity, Inc., a B2B mobile content solutions provider. Motricity renamed it eReader, and made the website eReader.com. Motricity eventually did a port of the eReader viewer to Windows Mobile for use on PocketPC devices, and was supposedly considering a version for Blackberry.

There's a fair amount of content out there in eReader format, DRM and otherwise. It would be nice it it could be read on things like the Sony Reader.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmmm. I feel a poll coming on ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a vague feeling that it at least used to be mainly a "Palm thing" (is that right?) and I was never "into" Palm devices.
Pocket PC as well, if I recall correctly.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Hmmm. I feel a poll coming on ....
Yup, here it is, in fact.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #38
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
I still have lots of eReader books that I'd like to read. Unfortunately for me here in Brazil we don't have e-ink readers yet, but I can do with Mobipocket on my E-61. The fact that motricity offered no support for Symbian V3 led me away from eReader, which I used a lot with my Palms and WinMobiles...

But the thing that no one mentioned is that eReader used to have one of the least intrusive DRM methods (as far as DRM goes). Unfortunately there are no "convertLit"-like solutions for it.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
I still have lots of eReader books that I'd like to read. Unfortunately for me here in Brazil we don't have e-ink readers yet, but I can do with Mobipocket on my E-61. The fact that motricity offered no support for Symbian V3 led me away from eReader, which I used a lot with my Palms and WinMobiles...

But the thing that no one mentioned is that eReader used to have one of the least intrusive DRM methods (as far as DRM goes). Unfortunately there are no "convertLit"-like solutions for it.
It still does use the same DRM it always had. No need to crack.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #40
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The best thing about the eReader format is the page numbering. It's very consistent, nothing like MobiPocket. You can go backwards and forwards in a book and the pages stay the same unlike MobiPocket. The fonts are nicer in eReader. If you have to have DRM at least this scheme allows you to move your books to different devices. But the biggest problem is that you can't read eReader books on an eInk device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #41
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It still does use the same DRM it always had. No need to crack.

Dale
Yes, I would have no need to crack if they had a version that supported Symbian V3 phones (which I use to read e-books). They actually replied me that a new version is on the way, but they had no timeframe for the release. This was before this change-of-hands. Now I don't know where they stand.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
Yes, I would have no need to crack if they had a version that supported Symbian V3 phones (which I use to read e-books). They actually replied me that a new version is on the way, but they had no timeframe for the release. This was before this change-of-hands. Now I don't know where they stand.
They will probably be faster at doing the conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The best thing about the eReader format is the page numbering. It's very consistent.
You can say the same about LRF.

P.S.
That's why I would never buy CyBook, because it doesn't have page numbers, unlike Sony Reader which has the same page number system as a pbook.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
You can say the same about LRF.

P.S.
That's why I would never buy CyBook, because it doesn't have page numbers, unlike Sony Reader which has the same page number system as a pbook.
I just didn't like the way the Sony felt in my hands. Even though I'm a huge Sony fan this product didn't wow me. YMMV
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote