Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Crucis
Crucis began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Epic/Galaxy
Storing series name/number in filename.

I looked through the topics and I haven't seen this discussed. If so would you point me to the location.

I have a large number of books, mostly fiction and most are series like W.E.B Griffin's "The Corp." My ereader is an android tablet using Aldiko. When I want to read the best in the series, there's nothing to indicate which book is next. I have to search online or back in Calibre.

Is there a way to save, as part of the filename, the series and series number. It appears from some of the documentation it can be done but so far I've been unsuccessful.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Crucis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Corps 01 - Semper Fidelis.epub
Corps 02 - Call to Arms.epub
Corps 03 - Counterattack.epub
Corps 04 - Battleground.epub
Corps 05 - Line of Fire.epub
Corps 06 - Close Combat.epub
Corps 07 - Behind the Lines.epub
Corps 08 - In Danger's Path.epub
Corps 09 - Under Fire.epub
Corps 10 - Retreat, Hell!.epub

I also put that in the Metadata of the OPF (without the .epub).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
Is there a way to save, as part of the filename, the series and series number. It appears from some of the documentation it can be done but so far I've been unsuccessful.
The Save template under Preferences - Sending books to devices can be used to format the filename of the books sent, below is an example that should suffice. I prefix it with author_sort to place all books by an author in a given directory.

Code:
{author_sort}/{series:||-}{series_index:05.2f||-}{title}
Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Some people store this directly in the title in Calibre. However that is not the recommended way to handle this as it means that you cannot properly exploit the series support in Calibre.

You can set filename format masks for the Save to Disk and the Send to Device actions that allow you to set the filename to any format you want. These are set by customising the relevant Device Interface plugin for Send to Device or via the Save settings under Preferences for Save to Disk.

For many readers you really want this information in the data stored as the title. Calibre has a facility known as Metadata plugboards that allows this value to be manipulated when it is sent to the device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I use a slight variation on the Sony x50, since it typically displays the title in a large font with the author in a smaller font underneath -- I add the series to the author, then when displaying books sorted by author the books in a series are grouped together in order.

The idea is that you can use the metadata plugboards to redefine the author, title, or other fields as best suited to the device, while keeping the data in calibre in the format best suited to the calibre library.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
The idea is that you can use the metadata plugboards to redefine the author, title, or other fields as best suited to the device, while keeping the data in calibre in the format best suited to the calibre library.
Even though this information is at odds with what the OP's original requested, "Is there a way to save, as part of the filename, the series and series number." it is in fact what I do and is good general advice.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre library filename, series name, series number