Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
djones1415
djones1415 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can Calibre email over wi-fi?

I'd like to send a book from Calibre to my Kindle not using the USB cable. Can Calibre do that?

I know I can EMAIL it from Calibre (to my Kindle account at Amazon), but Amazon charges for the network usage to get it directly to my Kindle. I'm looking for a way to send it from my computer directly to my Kindle (free).

Thanks for any help.
djones1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
Yes there is. Amazon provides you with 2 addresses. To send for free over your wi-fi, send it your NAME@free.kindle.com address. I do it all the time using Calibre.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
djones1415

But then it is sent to your computer, and you still have to use the USB cord to get it to your Kindle, eh? I'm looking for a free way to send it wirelessly to the Kindle.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I do it all the time using Calibre.
Did you miss this part?

Quote:
But then it is sent to your computer, and you still have to use the USB cord to get it to your Kindle, eh?
No. It delivers it to your Kindle.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
djones1415

Thanks both. I thought if I sent it to the Kindle email (non-free account) that Amazon would use the Whispernet and charge me. I see now it's smart enough to see me on wi-fi and use that route. Slicker than owl snot. Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
You will get it free on your Kindle, if your Kindle is connected via Wifi. That is the important part. The part where Amazon charges is if you are using 3G.

So, if you send a file to your free.kindle.com address, you won't get it via 3G, but as soon as you are in Wifi, you will. If you send it to just the Kindle address (non-free one), and you are only connected via 3G, you will get charged.. or you can setup a limit to how much a (non-free) email can cost, such as 0.00, and you end up with everything going through the free account.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
djones1415

Got it. Finally. I have to use the @free.kindle.com email address. Jees, I wish wildstar had just said that to start with.

Oh wait, he did.

Thanks all.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
What do you mean charge? I thought 3g was free?! :O
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post
What do you mean charge? I thought 3g was free?! :O
Don't panic! 3G is most definitely free to use.

The discussion is about sending personal documents (not Amazon book purchases but documents perhaps which you've written yourself) to your Kindle - if you receive personal documents via 3G (instead of wifi) you will be charged a small fee.

You never need worry about being charged for anything at all so long as you set your Personal Document limit to 0.00 on the Manage Your Kindle page in the Amazon Kindle Store.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
He he. You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones1415 View Post
Got it. Finally. I have to use the @free.kindle.com email address. Jees, I wish wildstar had just said that to start with.

Oh wait, he did.

Thanks all.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
hilfa768
hilfa768 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can Calibre email over wi-fi?

What about if someone emails to your kindle address documents and books you didn't request, without your permission? Amazon will charge that when downloaded by 3g!! Oh my god, very dangerous.
hilfa768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What about if someone emails to your kindle address documents and books you didn't request, without your permission? Amazon will charge that when downloaded by 3g!! Oh my god, very dangerous.
Relax... you have to tell Amazon what email addresses you want your Kindle to accept email from. If it's not on the list, it gets dropped like a hot potato.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
hilfa768
hilfa768 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
But it's very easy send email with a fake sender address in the list of accepted address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Relax... you have to tell Amazon what email addresses you want your Kindle to accept email from. If it's not on the list, it gets dropped like a hot potato.

Last edited by hilfa768; 11-30-2010 at 05:19 PM.
hilfa768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But it's very easy send email with a fake sender address in the list of accepted address.
Then setting your Maximum charge to $0 will cover you... in the off chance that someone manages to figure out which email addresses you've authorized and which kindle address you've authorized them for.