Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
quantamix
quantamix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
PDFReader 1.8.2 works great with Kindle

I just wanted to post about PDFReader because I haven't seen this posted yet on the Kindle Group. Like alot of new kindle users(Mine is 3 days old), I was excited to read my pdf ebooks on my kindle but quickly became disappointed after using amazon pdf conversion service and mobireader publisher edition. It's so light and small that it is not legible. I quickly started searching for a solutions and found Rasterfarian and PDFreader1.8.2. I was not able to test out Rasterfarian since I can't find anywhere to download Rasterfarian 2.5. Luckily, I found PDFReader @ the conversion software group. After a lot of trial and error, I finally have something reasonably good conversion.

I have to Thank Nick Rapallo for writing the software. username: nrapallo.
I really appreciate it.

Here's my settings:
Iliad profile
Layout: Landscape -third
Unpaper: -v
Rotation: Right
Dilation DPI:250
Cropping%:2.0
Colorspace:Gray
Color:4
EdgeLevel: 5
Size: H=520 V=640
Optimize PNGs

-----------------
Please share your settings if you think it's better than above.
Thanks!

P.S. Anybody please let me know if you find a link to download the latest rasterfarian v3.0. Thanks. So I can try it out.

Last edited by quantamix; 08-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.
quantamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
Thanks for putting this out. I've been looking for a good .pdf converting software.(maybe I havent been looking hard enough?) I plan on trying this software tonight.
I have tried it and I dont really like the landscape format, although I have messed around with the Software that much, so I cant say too much about it at this point.

Last edited by Chuckwade87; 08-22-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Update
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Site?

Hello. I'd love to try the software out but I can't seem to find it online (or Rasterfarian either). It would be great if you could post the link or point me in the right direction. Thanks! Lauren
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
quantamix
quantamix began at the beginning.

Links to rasterfarian and pdfReader 1.8.3

Guys,

Let's try to figure this out and find out what's the best PDF conversion program for Kindle so we can actually use our kindle. I'm ready to actually ebay mine.

Here's for Nick's PDFReader 1.8.2 (Edited sorry Nick - bad typo) =)
Btw, Thanks again for sharing your great work.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=159387

Here's for Alex's Rasterfarian 2.5
http://hightech.afmag.net/rasterfari...sion-here.html

Here's for Alex's Rasterfarian 2.5.2 Patch
http://kmfstudio.com/rasterfarian_252_patch.html

Last edited by quantamix; 08-22-2008 at 09:39 AM.
quantamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Wait a minute, PDFRead is still at version 1.8.2!

Are you hinting for a new version...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
hockeynut
Enjoy every sandwich.
hockeynut began at the beginning.

Device: Tri-Sony 505 (blue, silver, silver)
This is the one thing that is keeping my credit card in my pocket rather than using it to buy a Kindle. I have lots of work documents in PDF and if I can be assured that they would all read fine on the Kindle then I might bite.

Otherwise I'll wait to see if PDF is natively supported in the next version.
hockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
This is the one thing that is keeping my credit card in my pocket rather than using it to buy a Kindle. I have lots of work documents in PDF and if I can be assured that they would all read fine on the Kindle then I might bite.

Otherwise I'll wait to see if PDF is natively supported in the next version.
Ya know you have 30 days to try it in a real world test. If it doesn't work for you, send it back, get your money back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
I think PDFRead also has a Kindle profile [if not, it's easy to make one].
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
I think PDFRead also has a Kindle profile [if not, it's easy to make one].
Sure does, it's called 'prc-mobi' (for landscape mode) or 'prc-mobi-p' (for portrait mode) as these profiles are also useful for Cybook Gen3 users.

The iLiad has it's own profile because it's ebook dimensions and color (ok grayscale) resolution is greater.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Sure does, it's called 'prc-mobi' (for landscape mode) or 'prc-mobi-p' (for portrait mode)
This was a great tip for me. I had basically given up on reading any technical papers on my Kindle. The earlier versions of PDFReader did not have prc profiles - the latest version does. I converted a few technical papers in pdf files and the created prc versions read great. Thank you.
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
This was a great tip for me. I had basically given up on reading any technical papers on my Kindle. The earlier versions of PDFReader did not have prc profiles - the latest version does. I converted a few technical papers in pdf files and the created prc versions read great. Thank you.
You're welcome. When it works, it works!

If you like PDFRead, then you'll love PDFRead with pi. Check out the sample technical .pdf I converted to .prc using both of these programs; pi first, then PDFRead.

Basically makes these small screened devices usable now for reading .pdf ebooks!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
If you like PDFRead, then you'll love PDFRead with pi.
I am a novice -I will need an easy Windows executable program, preferably a program that integrates pi and PDFRead, to be able to use it (it is sooooo tempting because your sample document looks great).
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
I am a novice -I will need an easy Windows executable program, preferably a program that integrates pi and PDFRead, to be able to use it (it is sooooo tempting because your sample document looks great).
Soon.... well, don't be holding your breathe now , (here 'soon' = 'in a while (short or long)' ).
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #14
knives of ice
knives of ice began at the beginning.

can anyone tell me what settings are best to use if you want to convert a PDF thats in portrait to the kindle? i've used this program to convert but the text is too small for me, any ideas on how to make it bigger or is that not possible? sorry, this i'm just trying to figure this all out and suprisingly i haven't seen anyone post all their settings in portrait format in this thread or anywhere on the forum.

Last edited by knives of ice; 10-08-2008 at 02:43 AM.
knives of ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
You're welcome. When it works, it works!

If you like PDFRead, then you'll love PDFRead with pi. Check out the sample technical .pdf I converted to .prc using both of these programs; pi first, then PDFRead.

Basically makes these small screened devices usable now for reading .pdf ebooks!
Any news/developments on integrating PDFRead with pi?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!