Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Backpocket storage

Now that I've had my Kindle 2i for little more than a week, I took it out on a walk today. I discovered I could put it in my back pocket, but I was very apprehensive about doing just that. I'm afraid that if I have to bend over my fat lard ass will put too much pressure on the screen and the glass will crack. My Medge jacket protects the Kindle nicely, but it also makes it too big to insert in the back pocket.

Does anyone carry it around in their back pocket? If you do, how do you protect it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
You are taking great chance. I'd say it's not a question of if, but when as far as breakage. But good luck, hope you prove me wrong!
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I cracked my first one by sitting on it. The K2 is glass-based. In time, the new E-Ink screens will be out that are flexible plastic. Would not recommend the backpocket, or the office chair, as safe spots for a Kindle!
-bvl
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
If my hands are full, I'll slide it in my jeans front pocket as I walk into work. But I'm always aware of it and pull it out before I sit down.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now that I've had my Kindle 2i for little more than a week, I took it out on a walk today. I discovered I could put it in my back pocket, but I was very apprehensive about doing just that. I'm afraid that if I have to bend over my fat lard ass will put too much pressure on the screen and the glass will crack. My Medge jacket protects the Kindle nicely, but it also makes it too big to insert in the back pocket.

Does anyone carry it around in their back pocket? If you do, how do you protect it?
Back-pocket carriage is *STRONGLY* contra-indicated!

IOW, breaky-breaky. Not a good thing if you want to do more than pine away for your lost reading opportunities.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any pocket is highly discouraged as the risk of the screen breaking is too great. That is one reason 5" readers need to go away. They fit too easily in some pockets. And the way people seem to disregard a proper cover, say goodbye to the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I sometimes put my Kindle in my coat pocket but 1) it's a front pocket, so it never gets sat on and 2) the Kindle is in its (Amazon) case. Even so I'm careful about it.

I don't think I would put it in a back pocket; that seems to be asking for trouble.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Really? A Kindle 2i in a jeans pocket, front or back? It sure doesn't fit in mine. Have you considered a purse?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even a front pocket is a risk of damage.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I used to carry mine in my back pocket all the time while at work. After a bit it became habit to check my pocket before I sat... all I did was keep it inside its case. Nothing more
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I used to carry mine in my back pocket all the time while at work. After a bit it became habit to check my pocket before I sat... all I did was keep it inside its case. Nothing more
Do you mean case or sleeve? There's a big difference and most people use the term case when they really mean sleeve.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you mean case or sleeve? There's a big difference and most people use the term case when they really mean sleeve.
Good point. I used the Amazon cover for the Kindle
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Aside from the breakage aspect of it (which I entirely agree with), carrying anything valuable in a back pocket is an open invitation to pickpockets. I cringe when I see people walking around with a bulging wallet sticking out of their back pocket. You might just as well pin a large sign to your back saying "Rob Me".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard

To be honest I did it while I was at work... You are right about walking around in public with it in my back pocket...
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that's one heck of a back pocket to carry a Kindle in!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote