Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #31
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Thats the selling company... well, I could mail them and tell them.. but I guess you and I know the answer
Apose is a company that makes a lot of libraries and although I do not have experience with that specific library, I do know how it works. This is not the fault of the library, but the source that was fed into it...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #32
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
Quote:
Dear friends.
When I opened a commercial ebook that I bought (social DRM) I noticed the book is really slow.
So I looked to the code and that was terrible.. no way I can clean this by hand... is there software (I hope free because it is for only one book,until now) or an online tool that can clean it for me ??
Look at the spoiler for a example.
In real..this are only a couple of lines from the book...
Ew.

That's funny, because that markup looks similar to what InDesign produces, in terms of style tags covering everything. I actually already wrote a script that handles this. Specifically, it does this:

Code:
// Start:
<p><span class="123">Hello</span> <span class="123">World</span><span class="123">!</span></p>

// End:
<p><span class="123">Hello World!</span></p>
For example, I took your input and produced this:
Spoiler:

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Ik weet het,&apos; zei Ro zacht. &apos;Ik heb alles gezien. Ik zat onder de tafel verstopt.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena keek hem verbijsterd aan.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Mijn moeder zei dat ze mij een afkoelperiode wilde geven en dat ik dan wel weer redelijk zou worden. Ze stopte mij in een kamer, maar ik kon ontsnappen. Joxy, mijn priv&#xE9;- bediende heb ik kunnen overhalen en zij verstopte mij onder de trolley die ze naar de grote zaal bracht. Toen ik zag dat daar van alles stond te gebeuren besloot ik mij onder tafel te verbergen. Ik heb alles gezien en nu kom ik je halen. We moeten weg hier. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden. Dat&#x2026; wezen is mijn moeder niet meer!&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena knikte en ze schreef opnieuw iets op het papier. &apos;Wat wil je doen? Samis heeft nu de twee boeken. Alles en iedereen is hier aangepast, gekruist of gemaakt. Greysdale is bewoond door zombies, Utopalta is half vergaan en Willowjinx is weg. Waar moeten we naartoe? Ik kan niets zo!&apos; Elena wees naar haar keel.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Shit- ja!&apos; zei Ro net iets te hard. Meteen sloeg Elena een hand voor zijn mond.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Ro haalde haar hand weg. &apos;Sorry,&apos; fluisterde hij. &apos;Ik weet het niet, maar we moeten iets doen.&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Met tegenzin schudde Elena haar hoofd. Ze pakte het papiertje en schreef verder. &apos;We hebben alleen het huis in het bos over. Misschien dat de professor ons kan helpen. Aan de Codex Trias hebben we niets. Die is veilig bij Bia en Luxis. Hier kunnen we niet blijven. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden en gaan dan naar het bos.&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Goed plan,&apos; fluisterde Ro.&amp;nbsp;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena pakte het papier en gooide het in de open haard. Ro nam haar bij de hand en trok haar door de deur waar hij vandaan was gekomen. Ze kwam in een gelijksoortige kamer als die van haar alleen was het hier een stuk rommeliger.&amp;nbsp;</span></p>

Because I'm using an XML parsing engine, it does encode the apostrophes, ampersands and such. Is this acceptable?
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #33
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
Ew.

That's funny, because that markup looks similar to what InDesign produces, in terms of style tags covering everything. I actually already wrote a script that handles this. Specifically, it does this:

Code:
// Start:
<p><span class="123">Hello</span> <span class="123">World</span><span class="123">!</span></p>

// End:
<p><span class="123">Hello World!</span></p>
For example, I took your input and produced this:
Spoiler:

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Ik weet het,&apos; zei Ro zacht. &apos;Ik heb alles gezien. Ik zat onder de tafel verstopt.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena keek hem verbijsterd aan.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Mijn moeder zei dat ze mij een afkoelperiode wilde geven en dat ik dan wel weer redelijk zou worden. Ze stopte mij in een kamer, maar ik kon ontsnappen. Joxy, mijn priv&#xE9;- bediende heb ik kunnen overhalen en zij verstopte mij onder de trolley die ze naar de grote zaal bracht. Toen ik zag dat daar van alles stond te gebeuren besloot ik mij onder tafel te verbergen. Ik heb alles gezien en nu kom ik je halen. We moeten weg hier. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden. Dat&#x2026; wezen is mijn moeder niet meer!&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena knikte en ze schreef opnieuw iets op het papier. &apos;Wat wil je doen? Samis heeft nu de twee boeken. Alles en iedereen is hier aangepast, gekruist of gemaakt. Greysdale is bewoond door zombies, Utopalta is half vergaan en Willowjinx is weg. Waar moeten we naartoe? Ik kan niets zo!&apos; Elena wees naar haar keel.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Shit- ja!&apos; zei Ro net iets te hard. Meteen sloeg Elena een hand voor zijn mond.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Ro haalde haar hand weg. &apos;Sorry,&apos; fluisterde hij. &apos;Ik weet het niet, maar we moeten iets doen.&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Met tegenzin schudde Elena haar hoofd. Ze pakte het papiertje en schreef verder. &apos;We hebben alleen het huis in het bos over. Misschien dat de professor ons kan helpen. Aan de Codex Trias hebben we niets. Die is veilig bij Bia en Luxis. Hier kunnen we niet blijven. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden en gaan dan naar het bos.&apos;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">&apos;Goed plan,&apos; fluisterde Ro.&amp;nbsp;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena pakte het papier en gooide het in de open haard. Ro nam haar bij de hand en trok haar door de deur waar hij vandaan was gekomen. Ze kwam in een gelijksoortige kamer als die van haar alleen was het hier een stuk rommeliger.&amp;nbsp;</span></p>

Because I'm using an XML parsing engine, it does encode the apostrophes, ampersands and such. Is this acceptable?
It looks 20 times better, but I am on the right way now,and almost cleaned the books, the only problem I have is that it is hard to find where blanc lines (paragraps) have to be inserted.. I was hoping that at least a new paragraph would start with the same "dict code" to detect where one must be before removing everything,but no logics in there..

I am also busy with the regex search, to learn it, the problem is not much sites uses examples from practice.. there are explanations enough but in order to work for me,I must have examples like, insert this, than that happens.. not the dry explanation like enter a # for every single this or that because then I can't see the usage of it,when I can, I also know that I could use that or not.

Sorry for late responding, there is a DDoS attack on my provider for 2 days and internet is a bit difficult to access, I now use Googles DNS servers to bypass the attacked dns servers of my provider..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Here are a few regex examples that might help:

Mobileread

There are also some links on the Sigil-Regex help page.

There are also several sources online that may help, such as Regex Buddy.

You just need to make sure you are using the same "flavor" of regex as that used by Sigil... some of the expressions that other types of regex use aren't supported by Sigil.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #35
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Here are a few regex examples that might help:

Mobileread

There are also some links on the Sigil-Regex help page.

There are also several sources online that may help, such as Regex Buddy.

You just need to make sure you are using the same "flavor" of regex as that used by Sigil... some of the expressions that other types of regex use aren't supported by Sigil.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
Spock would have said: "Everything that explains something, add it to experience.." or something like that.. I like the Buddy !!
Advert
Old 08-21-2015, 04:57 AM   #36
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, you have Ziggo...

Anyway, if you still have the original, look through the stylesheet if there is a style that has a top-margin. If so, check where that style is used. Big change there is a scene change (white line) there.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 AM   #37
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
So, you have Ziggo...

Anyway, if you still have the original, look through the stylesheet if there is a style that has a top-margin. If so, check where that style is used. Big change there is a scene change (white line) there.
Yes.. 35 times.. and named different in the next html file.. all css rules are in the html, but in the next html they are different, so in one html file it has another name then in the second.
But I am almost finished.. I think the only way to do it properly is read it,at the moment the story changes or change to another persons view, I add a blanc line myself.. so I have to read a chicklit.. for young adults.. wow..
Old 08-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #38
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
I think the only way to do it properly is read it,at the moment the story changes or change to another persons view, I add a blanc line myself.. so I have to read a chicklit.. for young adults.. wow..
Ouch, my condolences...
Old 08-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #39
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Ouch, my condolences...
Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To see if a stylsheet class is really unneeded, I simply comment it out, then see if the book(view) got ugly .

Ugly code, is mostly just a waste of space and processing power
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #41
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To see if a stylsheet class is really unneeded, I simply comment it out, then see if the book(view) got ugly .

Ugly code, is mostly just a waste of space and processing power
The problem is not the stylesheet, I use the style sheet to see if some of the old layout can be restored,the problem is that there is a <span class..."> between every 3,5 or 5 letters, see the spoiler on the first post..
Old 08-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #42
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
For cleaning up this type of hideous code, I have personally began using the Calibre Editor with DiapDealer's "Editing Toolbag":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251365

This Plugin is more intelligent (can handle hideously nested spans) compared to just a Regex cleanup.

These are the settings I would use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiapToolbag.png
Views:	19470
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	141370

Just a single run with the above settings would have cleaned up your initial example to this:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<p class="dlct-000">'Ik weet het,' zei Ro zacht. 'Ik heb alles gezien. Ik zat onder de tafel verstopt.</p>

<p class="dlct-000">Elena keek hem verbijsterd aan.</p>

<p class="dlct-000">'Mijn moeder zei dat ze mij een afkoelperiode wilde geven en dat ik dan wel weer redelijk zou worden. Ze stopte mij in een kamer, maar ik kon ontsnappen. Joxy, mijn privé- bediende heb ik kunnen overhalen en zij verstopte mij onder de trolley die ze naar de grote zaal bracht. Toen ik zag dat daar van alles stond te gebeuren besloot ik mij onder tafel te verbergen. Ik heb alles gezien en nu kom ik je halen. We moeten weg hier. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden. Dat… wezen is mijn moeder niet meer!'</p>

<p class="dlct-000">Elena knikte en ze schreef opnieuw iets op het papier. 'Wat wil je doen? Samis heeft nu de twee boeken. Alles en iedereen is hier aangepast, gekruist of gemaakt. Greysdale is bewoond door zombies, Utopalta is half vergaan en Willowjinx is weg. Waar moeten we naartoe? Ik kan niets zo!' Elena wees naar haar keel.</p>

<p class="dlct-000">'Shit- ja!' zei Ro net iets te hard. Meteen sloeg Elena een hand voor zijn mond.</p>

<p class="dlct-000">Ro haalde haar hand weg. 'Sorry,' fluisterde hij. 'Ik weet het niet, maar we moeten iets doen.'</p>

<p class="dlct-000">Met tegenzin schudde Elena haar hoofd. Ze pakte het papiertje en schreef verder. 'We hebben alleen het huis in het bos over. Misschien dat de professor ons kan helpen. Aan de Codex Trias hebben we niets. Die is veilig bij Bia en Luxis. Hier kunnen we niet blijven. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden en gaan dan naar het bos.'</p>

<p class="dlct-000">'Goed plan,' fluisterde Ro.&nbsp;</p>

<p class="dlct-000">Elena pakte het papier en gooide het in de open haard. Ro nam haar bij de hand en trok haar door de deur waar hij vandaan was gekomen. Ze kwam in een gelijksoortige kamer als die van haar alleen was het hier een stuk rommeliger.&nbsp;</p>

Then it becomes much easier to focus on reading the code and clean up the rest.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #43
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
For cleaning up this type of hideous code, I have personally began using the Calibre Editor with DiapDealer's "Editing Toolbag":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251365

This Plugin is more intelligent (can handle hideously nested spans) compared to just a Regex cleanup.

These are the settings I would use:

Attachment 141370

Just a single run with the above settings would have cleaned up your initial example to this:

Then it becomes much easier to focus on reading the code and clean up the rest.
Very,very usefull, thank you, I like the examples because even when it is not in my language they are easy to recognise.
The second and third book both had the same class where a new alinea must begin so I could easyly save those to keep the layout, the first book just has blanc lines everywhere,also in the middle of paragraps and have hyphens in it so the only solution there was to take out all the code and start all over.
Mailed the publisher but no answer yet.

I bookmarked this topic and will save all answers for future use.
Used "your" tool and example to clean out the rest and the books are now manageble so thanks everyone for helping me out.