Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
sheffieldsteve
sheffieldsteve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
confused over K4 and pictures .. can someone check

I have a K3 and use it to view diagrams (but should also apply to Manga) in large jpg format by putting the jpgs (1000 x 1000 pixels size) in the pictues folder and using the picture viewer to view them. I can zoom and pan the pictures using the key shortcuts. It also works if I put the jpgs in a zip folder and put in either the pictures folder or the documents folder. I do not need to use Alt Z to get it listed on the K3 (altho I think Alt Z is required for the K1 and K2)

I am interested in buying a K4 NT but would like to know if large jpgs can be viewed ... if they can display in the picture viewer full size then I should be able to pan them using the 5 way controller ... but not zoom since the K4 does not have a hardware keyboard for the zoom shortcuts.

Could someone run a check for me :

1. take a large black and white jpg (1000 x 1000 pixels)
2. Zip it into a folder
3. Put the zipped folder in either the documents folder or the pictures folder on their K4 (preferably try both options seperately). I'm assuming the jpg wont display unless its in a zipped folder.
4. The jpg should now be listed on the T4 and be openable in the picture viewer ... does this work if it is in the documents folder? Does this work if the zip is in the pictures folder?
5. Does the jpg open full size and can be panned using the 5 way controller? ... or is it resized down to simply be screen sized on the T4?

I have had conflicting feedback as to what people think should happen ... I'd be interested to hear from someone who has actually done the above! I really need to be able to view black and white diagrams at large scale ... but since Manga readers also use this type of viewing option it may be of interest to them too
many thanks
steve

Last edited by sheffieldsteve; 11-14-2011 at 06:19 AM.
sheffieldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
lennox
lennox began at the beginning.

Device: SonyPRS-300, Kindle4NT
4. yes
5. yes, with the Menu you can change to Full Size Mode, Enable / Disable to Next Page
lennox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
sheffieldsteve

lol - too cryptic for me!
4. ... does the doc open in both doc and pictures folder ??
5. ... thanx .. full screen mode only removes the header on the page and doesnt in any way influence viewing a full size jpg?

Main query now relates to ... does the K4 display large jpgs and can they be scrolled ??
Steve

Last edited by sheffieldsteve; 11-14-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

THE PICTURE VIEWER ON THE K4 NT WILL NOT WORK LIKE YOU DESIRE.

One last time I will try to explain to you that the Picture Viewer on the K4 NT is total rubbish and WILL NOT WORK the way you wish it would. Sorry, but it is a totally undocumented feature and thus not truly supported.
  • I took a 1020 x 1020 pixel JPEG (see attached below) and zipped it into a file and then placed it on the K4 in the documents folder.
  • I opened the doc and it appears in Picture Viewer as seen in the attached screen capture.
  • It does not open up in full mode where you can pan.
  • The image is ONLY displayed scaled down to fit the screen.
  • It screws up the image, as you can clearly see.
  • You cannot pan PERIOD. Case closed.
  • Please stop posting threads all over asking the same question because you now have a definitive answer and the answer is NO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galaxy-symbol.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	78977   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-picture-viewer.gif
Views:	162
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	78978  

Last edited by jswinden; 11-14-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
sheffieldsteve

Thank you - you did not give those specific details in your prior communications. Hence I did not know that you had actually tried what I need to be able to do.

I am a little surprised in that :

1. The viewer is undocumented on the K3 also yet works well for what I need - either with jpgs in a picture folder or as zip folders in the docs folder

2. I was not aware that the K3 and K4 software nor hardware was that different ... I thought that the K4 was basically a K3 without the keyboard ... hence, other than the keyboard shortcuts, might be expected to behave in a similar manner with respect to the picture viewer capability.

Does not bode well for either scientific use or Manga lovers

Steve
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
sheffieldsteve

I hesitate to post this in the light of the terse JS post above but ....
I contacted Amazon technical support (to ask why the K3 and K4 differed in this respect) ... the guy on the call went away for 15 mins and then called me back ...
He was able to display a B&W jpg zipped in a folder in the Kindle docs folder ok on a K4, was able to select the image and repeatedly zoom in and also pan using the 5 way controller...
ie the K4 picture viewer was behaving like the K3 with the exception that he had to select the image and zoom in in order to get to a pannable image.

As to the quality of the image ... perhaps its image dependent ? ie .. low res B&W jpgs are ok ... larger file sizes or color derived (I assume JS used the color jpg attached to his post and let the Kindle B&W it) not ???

May be hope for Manga lovers yet ?

ps ... 10/10 for Amazon Tech Support ... they called me within 10 minutes of my initial email query !!!!!

Last edited by sheffieldsteve; 11-14-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addition