Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #496
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, not really, but that would render the keyboard unusable. There really should be a file "config.lua" among the kindlevncviewer files, it's in the ZIP you've probably installed the files from.

As I said - forwarding the pointer is a function of the server, so you'd have to check its configuration (or switch software).

In order to show what you mean with the sizes, you may certainly send screenshots, I think. Don't get excessive - one, two will probably be enough to illustrate the problem.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #497
Mastilqk
Mastilqk began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Color Lux
Hello people! I saw the nice work you make with Kindle DX which is working like a second monitor.
I have one quiestion. Is it possible the same thing to be done with Pocketbook Color Lux???

The video which I saw with Kindle DX....:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQvQx2ep1o
Mastilqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #498
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's free software, so anybody may use it and adapt it to her/his needs. Though the better starting point is this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228167

As far as I can see, there is groundwork for developing user apps on that device: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pocketbook-free/

That said - well, it needs some development skills. To do it myself, I lack the device and the time.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #499
Virking
Virking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX
I've uploaded images of my kindle display at my PC's highest resolution and lowest resolution settings. At best it displays a little over half of my monitor. Also, it still displays part of my kindle home page at the bottom (the page numbers are visible).

Can you fix my beloved (yet crappy) kindle monitor?

Sorry for the rotated images. They weren't like that prior to uploading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle1920-1080.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	619.1 KB
ID:	132541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle800-600.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	656.7 KB
ID:	132543  

Last edited by Virking; 12-16-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Virking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #500
hawhill
Wizard

I have no idea. Honestly, I think it's the server side. There were people that made this work before. The server seems to be sending a too small part of the screen.
This would also be why there's some traces of the Kindle's home page still visible.
Did you already go and try different VNC servers on your desktop? Also, I don't know how they cope with the two-screen configuration of the host.
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #501
Virking
Virking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it is

I'm trying UltraVNC, using the directions provided here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecuTxcHwgE

I've followed all of the steps, but I can't detect the second monitor. Do you happen to know how to fix this?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #502
hawhill
Wizard

Not sure. As I understand, a virtual second monitor on Windows is still kind of a hack. Unfortunately, I can't easily check as I'm not using Windows. What happens at the stage where you're supposed to make Windows see a second display (at 2'48" - gah, I hate Youtube "tutorials" sooooo much!)?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #503
Virking

When I click detect, it says another display not detected. After trying UltraVNC, I tried RealVNC, which didn't do much good. But then I found TigerVNC, and it's so close to displaying my PC properly and I can see the mouse, but the refresh rate is so slow it's almost unusable! It's strange, if I scroll down a page it refreshes just fine but if I'm just typing here for instance, it takes about 30 seconds to refresh. More problems... Wait now the refresh is working fine? I don't get it. Maybe if I poke at things long enough I'll figure out what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindledxtigervnc.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	133306  
Old 01-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #504
Virking

Well, the refresh is a bit weird sometimes and I can't explain it, but mostly it's fine. I can't get it to display the very edge of my PC monitor, but I think this is the best I can do and this is good enough. So I will call this a success Thanks Hawhill. I'm hoping this will allow me to continue an online degree that I had to put on hold because my eyes are too sensitive to screens.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #505
hawhill
Wizard

Good luck with that! I'm crossing my fingers that it'll continue to work for you.

(I'm always very happy when the things I fiddled with in my spare time - just for fun and learning - have actual, valuable use for others. So thanks for the feedback!)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #506
J_VM
J_VM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
hello, i have a kindle 4 non touch (K4NT) and when I start it from KUAL it just comes back to the home screen of Kindle... any hints of what I'm doing wrong?

I changed menu.json the part "hostnameort" for the hostname and port in my pc... do i have to change something else?
J_VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #507
volkaoth
Enthusiast
volkaoth began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virking View Post
I've uploaded images of my kindle display at my PC's highest resolution and lowest resolution settings. At best it displays a little over half of my monitor. Also, it still displays part of my kindle home page at the bottom (the page numbers are visible).

Can you fix my beloved (yet crappy) kindle monitor?

Sorry for the rotated images. They weren't like that prior to uploading
this is not a resolution problem.

Try TightVNC as Serversoftware.
Im using a kindle gen.7 (KT2) with kvncviewer as (w)lan-monitor and it works good.

1. set up your Kindle-screen resolution in config.lua (if needed- normally not)
2.In TightVNC it is possible to set the range and offset of the desktoparea shown by the server over a extra port.
So it is also possible to show the area of an enhanced desktop (this is, what is shown in the youtube-video)
volkaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #508
Bobco
Bobco began at the beginning.

Device: Older Kindle DX
Almost working

So, I am a newbie to all this and seem to be successful in all the steps until the very last command to fire things up, then things go awry. I installed the files posted on this thread and followed the instructions here: http://www.techhive.com/article/2595...c_display.html

I installed the files on the Kindle DX in the root directory in a folder call "kvncviewer"

Following the steps in the link above, everything goes as expected, till I enter the last command.

I am in this directory: [root@kindle root]#

I enter the command: /mnt/us/kvncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

and get this message: stdin:1: unexpected symbol near '/'

I'm soooo close (I think) .... Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this or what I have done incorrectly? Please keep in mind I am not skilled in any of this and am just trying to get this working so my wife, who suffered a concussion and can't look at a standard monitor, can read her email again. Thanks!
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #509
hakayova
hakayova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Question is Kindle VNC viewer still supposed to work?

Hi,

I see that this thread is pretty old and perhaps inactive, but i wanted to ask here first before trying other options.

I am trying to use kindle vnc viewer to get my Kindle DX graphite to work as a second monitor. I am working on Manjaro Linux (Archlinux derivative), tigervnc 1.5.0, and kindle vnc viewer latest available version. Briefly, I jailbroke the kindle, enable USB networking and started a VNC server session using the following command:

Code:
xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox -- /usr/bin/Xvnc :1 -geometry 1200x824 -depth 16 -dpi 160 -alwaysshared -SecurityTypes=None
Then opened a telnet session to the attached kindle DX and typed the following commands in succession:

Code:
    [root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
    [root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/powerd stop
    [root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &
This is what the telnet konsole shows:
Code:
19/12/2015 00:30:32 VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.8)
19/12/2015 00:30:32 We have 2 security types to read
19/12/2015 00:30:32 0) Received security type 19
19/12/2015 00:30:32 Selecting security type 19 (0/2 in the list)
19/12/2015 00:30:32 1) Received security type 2
19/12/2015 00:30:32 Selected Security Scheme 19
19/12/2015 00:30:32 TLS support was not compiled in
com.lab126.powerd failed to set value for property preventScreenSaver (0x3)
This is what the VNC server konsole shows:
Code:
Sat Dec 19 00:30:32 2015
 Connections: accepted: 192.168.2.2::52823
 SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
 SConnection: Client requests security type VeNCrypt(19)
 Connections: closed: 192.168.2.2::52823 (read: Connection reset by peer (104))
 EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 0
 EncodeManager:   Total: 0 rects, 0 pixels
 EncodeManager:          0 B (1:-nan ratio)
As you may guess, kindle screen does not show anything other than the default home screen.

I am a non-technical person, so please be gentle with me if I am missing something very obvious.

Thanks in advance for the input.
hakayova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #510
microtic
microtic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.4.2
Thanks hawhill! It is wonderful!

hakayova, here is my usage:

kindle already connected to pc by usb
kindlevncviewer installed with launcpad/kindlevncviewer.ini

start vnc server:
Code:
xinit /usr/bin/openbox -- /usr/bin/Xvnc :137 -geometry 824x1200 -depth 16 -dpi -alwaysshared -lazytight -interface 192.168.2.1
connect to it from pc:
Code:
vncviewer 192.168.2.1:6037
now you must see your virtual screen and be able to start some programs.

on kindle press Shift V U to start desktop view

congrats thats all - you can surf internet without 3g or wifi on kindle

to end session simply kill your vncserver
microtic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc