Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Capitalize Authors Names

I have figured out how to use the "Change title to title case" option in the Bulk Edit Metadata dialog, but I want to do the same, or rather just make first and last names of my authors begin with capital letters too, because alot of mine are all lowercase.

Is this possible?

Thanks.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not in bulk but you can right click on the author field in the edit metadata dialog or when editing authors directly in the book list to do this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks, that works great, one at a time.

Why is the title case an option in bulk mode, but not this? Just trying to learn more about the program. Is it not something that can be done because of the way Calibre organizes folders by Author name? Or just hasn't been an issue/request?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is limited space available in a given dialog. I have to decide what is worth putting there and what isn't. Mis capitalized author names are not that common, in my experience.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
iridius
Connoisseur

Fair enough, thanks for the quick reply.

You could add another tab... call it "Dumba**es" and put stuff in there for people like me that screw up their libraries... I'm sure I'll do it again... :-)
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
meryvn
meryvn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
An option that might work woul dbe to bulk swap Author and Title (think this is an option) then Title Case and then swap back.

It's kinda roundabout but probably quicker than doing one by one.
meryvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks, that is what I did end up doing, I just forgot to post, that was selfish of me... sorry.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
iridius
Connoisseur

Now that I'm getting better with Calibre, it looks like I could just do a Regex replacement like I did with the books that had Author set to "lastName, firstName" while most were "firstName lastName"