Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
evkb version 0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
As I found out, the keyboard works if it is fist connected before the application is started. When removed and reconnected, the application has to be started again to use the keyboard.
The first version of the event redirector was really simple and didn't handle the /dev/input/event0 file going away (or not being present). I've made it loop now until the device file is available and sleep for 5 seconds after it goes away before trying again. This allows you to start it and plug/unplug the keyboard at anytime. I've also added the xev program and a command line event-dump to help debug other problems and input devices.

To install the easiest method is:
Code:
bzcat evkb-0.2.tar.bz2 | ssh root@10.0.0.200 tar -C /mnt/free/documents -xvf -
Quote:
Not every key of my keyboard is recognized correctly, so it seems the right keyboard description file has to be used.
I've only tried it with rxvt so far with a US charset keyboard. My evkb program doesn't have any keyboard map -- the mapping is a simple 'Xkeycode = scancode + 8', which works for most of the normal keys with a US keymap. <linux/input.h> has the scancodes and if you run 'xmodmap -pk' it will print the keycodes and the keysyms that they map to.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 evkb-0.2.tar.bz2 (76.0 KB, 1340 views)
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #17
Snas
Enthusiast
Snas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad & N95
Is it possible to configure the keyboard in azerty?
(The combination Maj + Alt. doesn't work :s )
Snas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
It's not possible to reconfigure it as it is currently implemented -- you would need to produce your own table mapping of the keycodes to scancodes and write a lookup function for the loop. The xev program (included in the tar file) can be used to help track down the mappings.
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #19
rai
Enthusiast
rai began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onxy Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson View Post

To install the easiest method is:
Code:
bzcat evkb-0.2.tar.bz2 | ssh root@10.0.0.200 tar -C /mnt/free/documents -xvf -
So, I can't just copy the file to MMC card? Please, for somebody with very limited computer skills (I can get stuff to work for what I need, but programming is beyond me), what would dummy steps for installing this program be?

Thanks!

EDIT:
Ok, I tried to unzip it and it worked fine .

Last edited by rai; 01-29-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: found the answer
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Oh dear

I cannot get the KB (the Targus Universal USB folding keyboard) mentioned in another thread to work on my iliad. I have download the .bz file, unzipped on my mac, copied it into the /install folder on my cf card, pit it in the iliad, and clicked on it's icon inb the iliad, but so far, no dice. I was trying to test it with either gargoyle, or the todo program which Adam B ported.

Is this a problem with the compatibility with the apps, or am I being quite dumb and missing something obvious>

Many thanks in advance for your patience. I
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I tested it with a standard USB keyboard:
  1. In ContentLister, select USB Keyboard
  2. Plug in the keyboard
  3. Use the keyboard's up and down arrow keys and return to navigate contentlister
If the above works, then the keyboard is being recognized. The next step is to try it in your favorite applications. I tried my keyboard with mrxvt and FBReader - and both worked.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Still SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I tested it with a standard USB keyboard:
  1. In ContentLister, select USB Keyboard
  2. Plug in the keyboard
  3. Use the keyboard's up and down arrow keys and return to navigate contentlister
If the above works, then the keyboard is being recognized. The next step is to try it in your favorite applications. I tried my keyboard with mrxvt and FBReader - and both worked.
It still does not appear to be working...

Do I have to do something to the USB to realize if it is in a master or slave position...

I will keep plugging away.

If I can get this thing working, it will have solved pretty much every problem I wanted to address with the iliad.

Thanks to all of you for your hard work.

I am going to try to rebrush up on some linux programming/porting.

Take care all,

Jim
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
kissyfish
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissyfish View Post
It still does not appear to be working...

Do I have to do something to the USB to realize if it is in a master or slave position...

I will keep plugging away.

If I can get this thing working, it will have solved pretty much every problem I wanted to address with the iliad.

Thanks to all of you for your hard work.

I am going to try to rebrush up on some linux programming/porting.

Take care all,

Jim
Still no luck, I have been able to hook it up to my laptop, and it works well, but for some reason it just will not do anything with the iliad.

I am on the latest firmware version, is there anything I need to do because of that?

Jim
Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600

Great little app - works "out of the box" with my Samsung slimline keyboard, and I can even send text from my Alphasmart Neo into vi
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
kissyfish
Connoisseur

Testing of USB port

I am still having no luck with the keyboard, I have tested it with a laptop, and the keyboard appears to be working well, so now I am suspicious of my USB port on the iliad.

Anyone know a way to test it?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I have tested this utility and it is working fine straight out of the box with generic keyboards. It does not work, however, with my wireless RF keyboard (keysonic). I think you should try with several different keyboards (maybe in your office if you can't test at home) to exclude the possibility that the problem is with your iLiad.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #27
chungo
chungo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi there,

just wanted to know if there are any recent developments concerning USB keyboard compatibility coz mine aint working.

I installed the evbk package (or more exactly: copied the unzipped/untarred (is that a word ?) ) directory in the internal documents folder. When I click on the content listing icon "USB Keyboard"the Led on the iLiad flashes for a second or so but the keyboard wont work. Or is it essential to use the bzcat ... command? That one would not work either, the command (as depicted by hudson) resulted in a console full of "2c1;" (if I only type "bzcat evkb-0.2.tar.bz2") or in the message that ssh is not known (probably not installed ?) if I type the whole line "bzcat evkb-0.2.tar.bz2 | ssh root@10.0.0.200 tar -C /mnt/free/documents -xvf -"(as depicted by hudson).

I tried plugging the keyboard in before and after clicking on the icon, also I tried three different keyboards(Dell model L100, Lenovo SK 8815 and Logitech Deluxe 250)- nothing. Also none of the keyboard LEDs flashes which to me seems to be a sign of the keyboard not being initialized or not getting any current.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated!! Anyway, in my eyes, U guys already got a lot of props just by writing all these mods...
chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #28
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
For my part, I must say everything worked like a charm.
I unzipped the file, put it in my programs folder, clicked on it, plugged my keyboard in, opened abiword and started to type.
No problem.

However, I'm a total newbie in matters of programming (especially linux and its friend unix), and I don't know what to do to map the keyboard (needing a QWERTZ, that is the same as QWERTY, but with the accented letters) or even where to start. What file should I edit ? How do I open it ?

Any help would be great. I believe the usb keyboard is a MUST addition to the iLiad, as the iLiad can be used then as a notebook on the beach or in a park, or wherever you would want to take your notebook but can't because of the sun...
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #29
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
I saw talk on the forum elsewhere that the usb keyboard support was slow. I seem to recall you saying in that thread, Vanessa, that this would be a problem for you as you type fast ? So do I ! So, having completed the steps as listed in this thread and got the keyboard working, could you comment on the speed of the keyboard response ?

I would like to get a usb keyboard for my iliad but if it's slow slow slow I may not bother (I don't have one to try at the moment so a purchase would be needed.)
Thanks for any comment.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #30
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Hi Rachael !
Actually, it's not that the keyboard is slow. Keyboard is normal. But the display of the text is slow, because of the screen being refreshed every second or so.
If you need to see what you write and if you make a lot of typing mistakes, don't bother getting an usb keyboard on your iLiad, you'll find it very annoying.

I used to have a very old laptop, and I was typing too fast for it. It displayed the sentences two by two, and meanwhile, displayed the "wait" cursor. Horrible. At that time, I needed to see what I was seeing. Now it's different, and I plan to use the iLiad mostly to type things that I have already written on paper.

I was lucky and somebody lent me an usb keyboard. Was in your situation : no usb keyboard and didn't want to buy one without having tried it.
Now I've tried it, it's fine, but as long as I can't get the QWERTZ swiss french layout mapped on my iLiad, I won't be buying any USB keyboard.

I hope somebody will come and give some advice about the mapping of the keyboard
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote