Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Moonse E-7001: Android Tablet for $130 coming up...

LOL, guess the race is on

From Engadget:

"... Supposedly, the tablet will sell for as little as 900 Chinese yuan (or about $130), which will get you a 7-inch touchscreen, a 600MHz Rockchip RK2808 processor (which could possibly be upgraded to a Cortex-A8 before launch), Android 1.5 for an OS, an SD card slot for storage, built-in WiFi, and a promised five hours of battery life. What's more, while it is slightly thicker than an iPad, it apparently weighs just 0.7 pounds, or about half as much as the iPad, and it boasts a few advantages of its own, in a front-facing camera and a USB port...."

---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonse-android-tablet.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	49880  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So this device is now widely available for around $230 including shipping from a variety of Asian dealers and on ebay. Anyone nibbling at this one? I'm still not clear on whether these devices (or this one in particular) can be upgraded to Android 1.6 or more importantly 2.1. It's also not crystal clear the device can actually log into Android Market as it's not a cell phone and most of the apps there are, naturally, designed for 3G.

Anyone have any further info? Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Looks just like and ipad to me
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I've become wary of Rockchip. I've bought two items now that looked wonderful but the Rockchip software was garbage. Maybe I've just had bad luck.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you elaborate a little, Pendraggnip, on the issues with previous Rockchip powered devices?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
droid88
droid88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just got mine from this website for $199.99 http://www.shenit.com/moonse-e-7001-...d-netbook.html

I can login to the android market however not all apps is 100% compatible
droid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid88 View Post
Just got mine from this website for $199.99 http://www.shenit.com/moonse-e-7001-...d-netbook.html

Congrats

How do you like it? What's the real world battery life of this thing?

Are you planning on upgrading the OS to 2.1+?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
This would be something useful for my classroom. It would be nice to replace our heavy textbooks!
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Can you elaborate a little, Pendraggnip, on the issues with previous Rockchip powered devices?
I'm sorry, I just saw this!

I bought an MP4 player with a Rockchip system that did almost nothing it was supposed to do. I did manage to start listening to one audiobook on it, but then the same section of the book just kept looping over and over and over....

The other device was the Delstar ebook reader marketed through Walgreens; there's a whole thread here about the problems and limitations of that.

Both devices were fine or even good as far as hardware went, but the software was extremely limited; in fact didn't actually do what the specs suggested it would do.

So I'm wary of Rockchip. But as I said, maybe I just had bad luck.

I'll be interested to see what droid88's experience is. The prices are so reasonable, it would be nice to know that my two were just anomalies

Last edited by pendragginp; 05-06-2010 at 05:29 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard

Thanks pendragginp for the update on the Rockchip.

A typical e-bay price for this unit has dropped from $230 (including shipping) to closer to $180 (including shipping) ... in two weeks. And there are deals for less than that from sellers with good feedback. I also notice some listings with 1800 mAh batteries and others with 2700 mAh. It does not appear possible to upgrade to Android 2.1.

I'm going to sit tight a few more weeks and see what turns up in a larger screen and with full Android 2.1 support. The pace of change is quite breathtaking, however.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
This Eken M001 7” Google Android 1.6 iPad Tablet Slate PC UMPC MID Netbook seems to be the same tinkng, just cheeper.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard

Actually, the Eken is not the same at all. Look, case, form factor, internals ... the Moonse is a distinctly different animal.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Actually, the Eken is not the same at all. Look, case, form factor, internals ... the Moonse is a distinctly different animal.
Yes, it is easy to see that they are different in name and design. The question that I have is that for the most part they have the same specs, so why one over the other?

Perhaps droid88 can tell us why he chose this "Moonse E-7001 7” Google Android 1.5 iPad Tablet Slate PC UMPC MID Netbook" for $200 over this "Eken M001 7” Google Android 1.6 iPad Tablet Slate PC UMPC MID Netbook" at $130.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
tneken
tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
something wierd in the specs of the moonse
Processor: Dual Core CPU600MHz+DSP550MHZ
Processor frequency: 1.1GHz

the headline says android 1.5 but the specs says 1.6
tneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
xuan1982
xuan1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking google android apad just for $130 usd

Quote:

$199 usd is a little high, i just found one site from china.
it's price is $130-150 usd.

http://www.esaleschina.com/wholesale/android-tablet/
xuan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote