Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Michaelus
Michaelus began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
How can I change body text from bold to normal?

I have a stack of books (about 50) that I converted from LRF to epub using calibre, only trouble is all are in bold - title, headings, body text, everything.

If there is a simple fix, can someone please explain it (very simply, I am a rank beginner with all this), or do I have to remake all the files?
Michaelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
After you convert to epub you need to edit it by hand, which is easily done. Then you need to use either Sigil or a text editor to fix the file. If you use a text editor you need need to unzip the epub file into it's various pieces with any unzip program.

Calibre generally moves all the formatting to CSS when it does the conversion, so it should be trivial to find the setting in there and fix it. If you unzipped it then you need to recompress all the files together afterward and give it the exact same name/location as the original epub Calibre created.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelus View Post
I have a stack of books (about 50) that I converted from LRF to epub using calibre, only trouble is all are in bold - title, headings, body text, everything.

If there is a simple fix, can someone please explain it (very simply, I am a rank beginner with all this), or do I have to remake all the files?
Welcome

Something sounds wrong.
Were they bold when LRF?

Sigil may allow simple fixes if it can be fixed with a Stylesheet change.

Some LRF folk may step forward with conversion setting suggestions
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Michaelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Something sounds wrong.
Were they bold when LRF?

Sigil may allow simple fixes if it can be fixed with a Stylesheet change.

Some LRF folk may step forward with conversion setting suggestions
Yes, they were bold to start with.

I have tried editing by hand and managed one book in an hour or so - but there are more than 40 in total
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Michaelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post

Calibre generally moves all the formatting to CSS when it does the conversion, so it should be trivial to find the setting in there and fix it. If you unzipped it then you need to recompress all the files together afterward and give it the exact same name/location as the original epub Calibre created.
Here is the CSS from the unzipped conversion.

@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.body {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 10pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify
}
.bs {
border-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
border-style: solid;
border-width: 0;
color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
font-size: 1.29167em;
font-weight: bold;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0
}
.bs1 {
font-size: 1em;
}
.bs2 {
font-size: 0.83333em;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 8pt
}
.bs3 {
font-size: 0.625em;
}
.calibre {
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-top: 1em
}
.calibre1 {
font-style: italic
}
.ts {
font-weight: bold
}
.ts1 {
font-size: 1em
}

Do you know what changes I would need to make?
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Delete all of the font-weight: bold; entries.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Michaelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Delete all of the font-weight: bold; entries.
Have just tried that - Deleted all font-weight: bold; entries, rezipped everything and tried to open it in calibre, but got an error message, that it was not a zip file.

That's true - I use winrar, not winzip.

But I believe there is a right and wrong way to pack the files, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Maybe if I packed them the right way I would get a better outcome?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Have just tried that - Deleted all font-weight: bold; entries, rezipped everything and tried to open it in calibre, but got an error message, that it was not a zip file.

That's true - I use winrar, not winzip.

But I believe there is a right and wrong way to pack the files, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Maybe if I packed them the right way I would get a better outcome?
Use Sigil to edit the CSS, It takes care of the packing
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Sigil might be easiest for you, but the main problem is you used rar and not zip. Use zip and you should be ok.

Also make sure to compress the group of files and not the outer directory that the unzipping programs often create.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Use tweak-epub to open the book, select the CSS file and edit it with something like Notepad++.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Lots of times I just convert to rtf, open file, select all, hit bold two or three times, save, convert rtf to epub and everything is normal.

I don't mind bold, but all italics or all centered text, one wonders what they were thinking.

Generally you don't lose anything valuable format wise as it is not great to start out with.

Helen

PS if you have 50 files do a mass convert and open 10 or so at a time. Will take about a minute a file when you have done a couple.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 09-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Michaelus

Thanks everyone for your advice and helpful suggestions.
For, after a few false starts and I bit of trial and error, I eventually worked out what needed to be done, and how to do it.
All the best,
Michael
Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur
quinta@ebf.cz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Topic is quite old... However:

Instead of editing converted epub, you can filter css rules during conversion. In order to get rid of bold format:
- run command line conversion with parameter: --filter-css font-weight
- or in user interface use conversion option: Look & feel -> Styling -> Filter style information -> Other CSS properites: font-weight

Filter will remove bold emphasize from paragraph format (but not bold format applied inline - which probably most of time will be desirable behaviour).
quinta@ebf.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Holy thread from the dead, Batman!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote