Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Strange display issue with a certain font

I don't know if this is a bug or not but I've noticed a strange display quirk. It only seems to happen with a certain font, at least that I've found so far. A line of text that has any italicized words on it has larger space below it than a line that doesn't. These lines/paragraphs are not formatted any differently than any others. They use the same classes. The only difference is that the lines in question have italicized words in them. I've confirmed that the text does not look like this on my reader. It's only in Sigil that I see this.

I've attach a screenshot below.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or does anyone have a possible explanation?

Thanks.

- Byron

bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is caused by the fonts 'metrics'.
Those are values supplied for spacing and placement.
You could try adding a line-height: 1.2; to the class that uses that font (I do that with 'Charis')
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is caused by the fonts 'metrics'.
Those are values supplied for spacing and placement.
You could try adding a line-height: 1.2; to the class that uses that font (I do that with 'Charis')
Well, it doesn't cause a problem in the ebook. It looks fine when viewing through a software or hardware reader. It is only withing Sigil that the lines are displayed this way. I really don't think I'd want to modify the line-height to correct a display issue within Sigil that isn't actually manifesting itself within the book in a reader.

Just for the sake of argument, I tried this anyway and, like I'd thought, it really doesn't make much difference at all. Adjusting the line height will change the amount of space added to a line with italics, but it will not do away with it. You can look at a line with italics on it, and the line with italics will always have a larger space below it than a line without italics, often numerous times within the same paragraph.

I've used Sigil for about three full years now and have used it with many embedded fonts but I have never seen this sort of behavior before; definitely not with Charis.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't help with the display issue here. Again, it isn't an issue with the epub itself. It's a display quirk only within Sigil.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
QT has known quirks

There are tweaked versions of many fonts (eg Charis) out there. One of us has the better version (it must be you )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't help with the display issue here. Again, it isn't an issue with the epub itself. It's a display quirk only within Sigil.
OK, quirk noted. Thanks for the heads-up. Now, what was the issue again?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote