Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
mcdullhall
mcdullhall began at the beginning.

Device: No
Does PRS-500 perform well on reading PDF file?

Hi, everyone. I am a new comer of this forum, and I know little of the ebook reader.

As a student in college, I find there are too many papers to read, and most of them are in the electronic format. So I really want to have a ebook reader so that I can no longer sit before the CRT screen.

And what I concern most is the performance of the SONY PRS-500 on reading the pdf files. Can it do well in reading papers with many figures? Can pdf file with pictures be convert to the BBeB format easily and efficiently? Can anyone who possesses PRS-500 share your experience?

Thank you very much for reading this thread and giving me advice
mcdullhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdullhall
Hi, everyone. I am a new comer of this forum, and I know little of the ebook reader.

As a student in college, I find there are too many papers to read, and most of them are in the electronic format. So I really want to have a ebook reader so that I can no longer sit before the CRT screen.

And what I concern most is the performance of the SONY PRS-500 on reading the pdf files. Can it do well in reading papers with many figures? Can pdf file with pictures be convert to the BBeB format easily and efficiently? Can anyone who possesses PRS-500 share your experience?

Thank you very much for reading this thread and giving me advice
The Sony Reader isn't ideal for reading PDFs, unfortunately. In fact, it's not great as a reference-focused reading device.

Most PDFs are too large for the screen, and thus the text is too small to be read. The Sony Connect software doesn't convert PDFs to BBeB format, you have to use them as PDF files.

Pictures and figures work fine, aside from being much smaller (and, of course, in black-and-white).

The Reader is a fantastic device for reading fiction, but I wouldn't recommend it for academic or reference uses...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
For reading Sony Reader sized PDFs - yes, for A4/Letter size ones - not so much. It will depend on how small details are in those PDF files.

Last edited by Slava; 10-08-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Some PDF conversion tools are mentioned in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7875.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
wrong forum.

Last edited by da_jane; 10-08-2006 at 11:58 PM.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
mcdullhall
mcdullhall began at the beginning.

Device: No
Thank you all for useful advice. I feel moved
So now I think I'd better wait for sometime.
mcdullhall is offline   Reply With Quote