Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Graphic novels, comics, manga on the PRS 600?

Hello all I have been lurking these forums for sometime now and this is my first time posting.
Anyways I have a question regarding the PRS 600. This question has already been addressed once but it was in regards to the 300 which in my opinion may be a bit too small for graphic novels. My question is: will the prs 600 be able to read manga/comic style books effectively? I was hoping that I would be able to read it without having to zoom in on text bubbles or individual boxes. The comics would most likely be in PDF format... Also I read on another thread that there is a reboot time with the ereaders. I did not know this. I am now concerned that if I put volumes of graphic novels on an SD card (more than 2 gigs worth which would only comprise of two different series) that it may take hours to boot up... Any input on this?

Thank you very much
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
How would you imagine reading an A4 full of small text on a 6" screen? In short, comics aren't really readable without zooming and panning. And the resolution isn't sufficient enough.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
It depends on the comic. Some work really well, others no so much.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
drive88mph
drive88mph began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
but then again, what would be a definite app and size to at least make the reader zoom in and out without slowing down the memory i've been trying several programs and they all have big file sizes so when zooming the reader takes ages to zoom, but then again...(i said again again) maybe a good app to split the comics so we read two pages on a single comic page and make everything bigger

tried rasterfarian and manga2ebook and nope they no good to make this..yet
drive88mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive88mph View Post
maybe a good app to split the comics so we read two pages on a single comic page and make everything bigger
I believe calibre does this with its "wide" setting in the comic conversion options. I haven't tried this though
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
mumoo
mumoo began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
It depends on the comic. Some work really well, others no so much.
I agree with Kirtai. I am reading a comic DagonBall in these days. It's an enjoyable experience.
mumoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I posted this link earlier on the Sony Reader area, but here it is again:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19625804/S...-PRS300-Review

I have a few photos of what comics and manga look like on the PRS-300.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
American comics are pretty standard size but japanese manga is pretty small. If you've seen them at the book store most of them are pocket sized... I just haven't been able to try it out in person so I'm unsure if it will work or not... =(
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've downloaded several graphic novel samples from Amazon but never bought any because they were so impossibly hard to read on my K2.

I'm no artist, but I created a couple of panels and imported them into my Kindle, so I know graphic novels and balloon text can work, and work well.

IMHO, There is a market for whoever is first to write and design comics specifically for e-readers.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2009 at 03:08 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Kirtai
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
American comics are pretty standard size but japanese manga is pretty small. If you've seen them at the book store most of them are pocket sized... I just haven't been able to try it out in person so I'm unsure if it will work or not... =(
Manga tends to be easier to read because the pages are smaller. American comics need to be shrunk more to fit on a small screen. Of course, it does depend on the art style; a style with large, clear text bubbles works best.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I have the 505 and it's just the right size for reading manga. I have several comics on it as well, most I can read just fine on it but I do have to hold the reader alot closer to read the small text. I still prefer using my ipod touch for comics but it's doable on my 6" Sony screen.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I'm waiting for the PRS-900. I'm a Manga fan and will be reading a good amount of it on there.

I brought a memory stick with some Manga in different formats to my local store that carried the 505 at the time. If you can do this, I would recommend it. It was decent, for the most part, but I think the extra height of the Daily Edition will be better - most of the manga I have would either have empty space on the sides or be squeezed down to fit the PRS-600. Now, I'm sure it will have extra space at the top and bottom on the PRS-900, but every extra pixel helps!
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
I much prefer reading comics on my hacked Playstation Porable than on the PRS-505. I don't see how the 600 could be that much better...
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Is it even rational to spend a lot of money on an e-book reader just to read graphic novels?
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Is it even rational to spend a lot of money on an e-book reader just to read graphic novels?
And what about that would be non-rational?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote