Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
New Amazon Online Service?

I was browsing Amazon and noticed a new (to me, at least) "upgrade offer." When I clicked the link, I got this window:

Has anyone used this? I clicked on the "read my books" button and went to a page that has a scroll list of books I'd ordered (going back to 2003!) that were eligible for this service. Not a lot were - I've ordered hundreds of books over the years and there were only five that were available.

The pricing for the upgrade varies, apparently based on the original cost of the book.

I'm hoping someone has tried it and can give some feedback. Looks interesting, but real usefulness won't come until there's a lot more books available, imo. Still, it's an interesting ebookish, non-Kindle avenue for them to go down.

Hope it's ok to post this here. Since it's online I thought it would be. (And my apologies if this is a duplicate of an earlier post. I didn't see one, though.)
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's been around for a while. So far, for me, there haven't been very many books that are available to read online based on those I've purchased. I don't want to read books online anyway, which is why I have a Kindle!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
I was browsing Amazon and noticed a new (to me, at least) "upgrade offer."
Interesting, how much did it cost? Do you pay per book or yearly or what?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, daffy4u. I guess I'd never run into a book that was available before.

BOb, it's a per-book price. Amazon is calling it an "upgrade" - you have to already own a physical copy of the book (purchased through Amazon, I assume).

For instance, a book I bought back in 2003 costs $12.71 new (currently) and the upgrade is $3.19.

I'll probably have to try it just to see how it works, though I wish they had more books to choose from.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting, how much did it cost? Do you pay per book or yearly or what?
BOb
Amazon Upgrade FAQ - Upgrade Store
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BOb, it's a per-book price. Amazon is calling it an "upgrade" - you have to already own a physical copy of the book (purchased through Amazon, I assume).
Ok... where do I do this. I got back and look at my books in my book collection library and I don't see any way to upgrade them.

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Studio717
Addict

BOb, try this link:

Amazon Upgrade page
Old 10-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
BOb, try this link:

Amazon Upgrade page
Great thanks. Only two books I bought are eligable. On for $10 the other for $11. Think I'll skip upgrading those for now. It is an interesting idea though.

BOb
Old 10-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
If you can copy and pate the text wouldnt it be very easy to create a copy suitable for reading on an ebook?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The controls are bad, and there are weird... security settings on it. I tried to read it one day on my laptop and then on my desktop and it wouldn't let me.

This was a couple of years ago - maybe it's better now.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote