Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Landmark bars are far less useful meeting places these days because development tends to destroy or co-opt whatever dives most preoccupied writers can afford. People are always having to find new places to meet because the old ones either close down or become tourist sites (cf. The Cedar Bar in NYC and its former history of attracting writers and artists, including east coast beats and most of the abstract expressionists).

Then again, that might be why the virtual Flying Monkeys Saloon seems so inviting.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I'm pleased to see this thread bubbling along - thank you all for your contributions.

I can't get onto this Forum much of late, but my question was genuine and the subject of 'real' chatter around me for some time over many occasions. (I allocated time last night to respond to this thread - and darn - the maintenance thingo was happening).

My perspective is that neither class nor money are influences to the meeting of minds for a chatter, and that these conversations can take place by accident as well as in planned events.

I hadn't really considered the large venue events or work organised events as mentioned by several posters .... they seem rather a monologish construct, albeit with questions taken no doubt. But if they are avenues for some to absorb and appreciate new perspectives (irrespective of a dialogue between all of the individuals present) then that's what works for them.

@Harry I take your point re the Salons of centuries ago with respect to the idle rich, but I consider that talented people, irrespective of their field are probably never idle for long.

So, what I'm gathering so far is that there's a broad dispersal of thinking going on, via different comms media, and reaching audiences who happen to find that media or who have been invited to attend eg workplace (or other) talk by a given person/s.

I guess also, that people of a similar talent ilk, eg painting or photography etc tend to hang around together and would be more likely to know (and perhaps attend) functions/activities where the really talented in that genre go to hang out. Like the writers who hung out at Les Deux Maggots, or Gertrude Stein's place in Paris (also known as a Salon, from memory).

On another point - I don't think politicians have any claim in the great minds category (not while in politics), but of course, that is a selective judgement. And nor do I think political discourse as a topic of chatter has any more right of place or consumption of quality chat than any other topic. I do think that all topics are on the table for discussion though.

Enough from me!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
On another point - I don't think politicians have any claim in the great minds category (not while in politics), but of course, that is a selective judgement.
There certainly have been politicians who have been "great minds". I don't think many people would deny that Cicero was a great thinker, for example, while also being a politician.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There certainly have been politicians who have been "great minds". I don't think many people would deny that Cicero was a great thinker, for example, while also being a politician.
You do not have to be stupid to be a politician, but there does seem to be more of them than the odds would suggest.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You do not have to be stupid to be a politician, but there does seem to be more of them than the odds would suggest.
Apache
Unfortunately they are like the tips of the iceberg of general stupidity in this country.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm pleased to see this thread bubbling along - thank you all for your contributions.
It could be argued that the great 'thinkers' and 'creators' salons of today are forums like this where people gather after hours to share ideas and experiences.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Also, forums such as this often have a particular focus at their heart, though how closely that agenda is adhered to varies greatly. MR, for example, frequently strays away from the subject of reading on electronic devices. This meeting of like-minded people who have a shared interest and often a shared level of intellect, forms its own little salon.

Likewise with a cat forum I belong to, although the membership is somewhat different to that of MR: predominantly female, very caring, but a little less intellectual; thus creating its own meeting of like-minded people.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Likewise with a cat forum I belong to, although the membership is somewhat different to that of MR: predominantly female, very caring, but a little less intellectual; thus creating its own meeting of like-minded people.
I should seek out a monkey forum with like-minded monkey brains; dessert and otherwise
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
College dorm rooms.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I wish there was a tavern within stumbling distance of my home. Used to enjoy decompressing after work. Good chat. Some ideas.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I've had some great 'salons' after hours at science fiction conventions. I don't always remember what we talked about, but it kept me up until 5AM, so it must have been interesting.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Artists and thinkers who can find rich people to cultivate them are rarer than people claim -- especially now. There's a reason so many of them die poor.

If you're open to talking to people like that, and won't be passive-aggressive or say spiteful things, then I doubt you'd be left out.

You don't often hear from them on internet forums because of the constant barrage of what Roland Barthes called "neither-nor criticism," but places like the Nightmare Network are relatively free of that (since the influences are eclectic but the central genre tends to be dismissed as tasteless -- which is a great mix if you're looking for erudition without close-mindedness).

Facebook can also be an excellent place for discussions. Befriend a few writers whom you might think are out of your league and you'll soon be talking to them about whatever subjects they introduce.
Thinking about this some more, I don't think the real benefit of the salons was intellectual. Ideas are really a dime a dozen. It's effecting them into money that is the hard part. The salons were meeting places of influential people (whether in ideas, industry, government,...). The largest benefit was probably the networking among them. You could bring an idea, and then get help in effecting it, and make money from it. So, although online forums where ideas are hashed out can be a help to an artist, it's not the same as being among the movers and shakers of the world.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I should seek out a monkey forum with like-minded monkey brains; dessert and otherwise
Would everyone be too busy seeing no evil, hearing no evil, and thinking no evel .....mmmmm .....
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Thinking about this some more, I don't think the real benefit of the salons was intellectual. Ideas are really a dime a dozen. It's effecting them into money that is the hard part. The salons were meeting places of influential people (whether in ideas, industry, government,...). The largest benefit was probably the networking among them. You could bring an idea, and then get help in effecting it, and make money from it. So, although online forums where ideas are hashed out can be a help to an artist, it's not the same as being among the movers and shakers of the world.
Yes, a side benefit to having ideas and seeing them progressed financially and perhaps administratively is to find oneself in the company of rich and influential people.

But some of the bigger people movements have emerged from those clusters of people with big ideas and little to no financial or administrative power. I'm thinking along the lines of the origins of the green movement, and other movements that had a long chat gestation amongst like and unalike thinkers, and little initial money and/or power/influence amongst the movers and shakers.

I suppose that my appreciation of a salon or meeting of thinkers and creators doesn't mean that anything constructive need come out of the discourse .... although it may. I see the discourse as a more pleasurable event where ideas are simply flung around (so to speak, lol) according to the events of the day as well as bigger picture ideology.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
It could be argued that the great 'thinkers' and 'creators' salons of today are forums like this where people gather after hours to share ideas and experiences.
Gotta admit, it's easy to like that thinking