Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Capjack
Capjack began at the beginning.

Device: all
Introducing Cap'n Jack

Guess the grey beard gives me away, I'm a newbie to ebooks - but not to writing and publishing.
For many decades I've supplied true life action material to magazines round this good Earth, bringing the wonders of Nature closer to those unable to experience her first hand. Helping me, and sharing the dream has been my wonderful wife of forty odd years. She's stout stuff. Can climb mountains that would frighten most, cross seas that would make tough men cry in fear and can sling together a hardy meal even if raining cats and dogs. She takes darn good photos too.

Last year we wrote our first book, aptly titled; Two's A Crew
It's selling just fine, won't make the best seller list, but that's fine by us. We have covered costs, made a dollar or two and given copies to our friends and family including each of our eight grandchildren. Now we want to convert Two's A Crew into an Ebook so production costs and delivery can be brought down so more can have a read.

Aye, we're going to need a wee bit of help doing that. Fortunately computers aren't foreign to us, nor is Hypertext. But from time to time, you may see me posing a question or two, and I'm sure you'll be helpful. In exchange, if you like, I'll spin a true story about crossing the great ocean or walking remote shores. Thanks in advance.
Jack and Jude
PS: If you'd like to read of our latest's adventure, A wandering Wake
Capjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Hi there, and welcome!

The Workshop forum is a good place to get technical help for ebook production, although random questions anywhere at Mobileread tend to get answered.

Poke around the forums, check out the wiki, and jump in anywhere.

Flamewar topics: DRM, ebook pricing, piracy, copyright, the-future-of-publishing, Kindle vs. other devices, best ebook format, PDF as ebook format. Which doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't participate in those topics. Just know that they've been argued from many directions many times; the regulars have almost refined them to a form of shorthand. (And there are no conclusions, just occasional new twists on the old arguments.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Consider yourself piped aboard, Cap'n. Good to have your company. Seems you and Mrs Jack have a heck of a story to tell. Luck with the book and hearty best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread....

Have you seen the Author Self-Promotion Forum ... and also the Writers' Corner ... Just two of the many gems we have on board ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Capjack
Capjack began at the beginning.

Device: all
Thank you for making me feel so welcome

I feel amongst friends, so I'll let my hair down and say, if I thought writing a book was difficult, and promoting it time consuming, then converting it from word.doc or pdf is bloody horrible.

Yes, yes, I will take the advice given and peruse the workshop forums and pray I find an answer to why odd bits of text refuse to translate. I mean, eagle eyes are required to find the buggers. I've tried converting the word doc, which is fairly huge, into html and got a million place names etc and a strange loss of quotation marks. So I thought, a ha, I'll convert the PDF file that we printed from, into html. Oh no! It lost bits of text - only discovered by chance when straightening out the images.

Sorry, you've probably heard all this before. But at least I feel a bit better.

Onwards, to success!!
Meanwhile Jude and I are preparing our vessel for winter storage down here in freezing Tasmania. That alone is a huge task. Removing the sails, ropes and gizmos, cleaning her from stem to stern, because we'll be shortly flying north to warmer climes, back home for a few months break. But while we've got shore power, seemed a good chance to start the book conversation.

Cheers for now, the sun has popped out and deck duties await.
Capjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Wise sages say skip the PDF stage .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote