Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
How to use wget to download an online HTML book

I am trying to download an HTML book at NASA's History Division web site and convert it to ePub. I use the following wget command under Linux:
Code:
wget -H --level=2 -k -p --wait=0.5 http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4205/cover.html
but it downloads only 3-4 pages instead of the whole book as I would expect. What options am I missing? My wget usage is a bit rusty these days.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
I am trying to download an HTML book at NASA's History Division web site and convert it to ePub. I use the following wget command under Linux:
Code:
but it downloads only 3-4 pages instead of the whole book as I would expect. What options am I missing? My wget usage is a bit rusty these days.
I use WinHTTrack for these tasks.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I use WinHTTrack for these tasks.
I use Linux.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Code:
I'm resurrecting this old thread in the hope that someone may be able to help.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
You'll at least want to add -r
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
You'll at least want to add -r
I've tried adding -r, but wget downloads just 3 files.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You have a Kindle I notice ....

Amazon have a version for $1.13 - might save you all the trouble if it's an identical copy ....
http://www.amazon.com/Chariots-for-A...=A7B2F8DUJ88VZ
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You have a Kindle I notice ....

Amazon have a version for $1.13 - might save you all the trouble if it's an identical copy ....
http://www.amazon.com/Chariots-for-A...=A7B2F8DUJ88VZ
I mentioned this book just as an example for learning to use wget, because I am also interested in other titles available at the same NASA site. These books have a similar file hierarchy, so I picked one of them as an example.

I did buy that Kindle edition of Chariots for Apollo, but asked for a refund because it is missing the many illustrations and is badly formatted. See my review.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I'm resurrecting this old thread in the hope that someone may be able to help.
Ciao, Paolo!

I have just uploaded a .epub version of this SP-4205 website to our Mobileread.com epub library.

It was originally downloaded using HTTrack in July 2009 (see this post) and most recently converted to .epub using calibre. I cleaned up some irregularities using Sigil as well as manually opening the .epub using winrar and dropping corrected files therein. It took about three hours of fiddling, but I was watching a movie (sort of) at the time as well.

Enjoy!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Och !

Weel Nick flies in to save the day ....
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I have just uploaded a .epub version of this SP-4205 website to our Mobileread.com epub library.
That's great, thanks.

I was finally able to figure how to download all the book. I had to activate recursive mode (-r) and go one level deeper (--level=3). The correct command line is:
Quote:
wget -r -H --level=3 -k -p --wait=1 http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4205/cover.html
Thanks all for the suggestions and help.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
GeoffC

Pleasure to have driven you around a few bends, over meaningless hills and into dark wooded lanes to get you nowhere where you really wanted to be ...