Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ordering of collections

I've now spent a great deal of time arranging all my books into collections, with one collection per author or series, and I have my library set to view by collections.

My problem is that the collections appear to be displayed in "most recently accessed" order. How can I display them in alphabetical order?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Isn't that pretty much what I asked yesterday?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96361

Apparently it is not possible, as sad as it is. Let's keep our thumbs pressed for an update.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
Isn't that pretty much what I asked yesterday?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96361

Apparently it is not possible, as sad as it is. Let's keep our thumbs pressed for an update.
Thank you; I'd overlooked your question. Yes, we are asking the same thing.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I responded in the other thread with a solution of sorts.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
You can put a symbol (namely, brackets or parenthesis) before the titles of your collections and your Kindle will sort them alphabetically.

Oddly enough, asterisks (*) or the slash (/) doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by fairy_dreams; 08-29-2010 at 02:17 PM.
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy_dreams View Post
You can put a symbol (namely, brackets or parenthesis) before the titles of your collections and your Kindle will sort them alphabetically.

Oddly enough, asterisks (*) or the slash (/) doesn't work anymore.
Neither do the colon ( : ) or period (.) I'd used as leading characters on my DX and 2 collections.

Last edited by trekchick; 08-30-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: undo unintentional smiley
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I do so wish the the Kindle was aware of Series metadata.

That, and I wish it could correctly differentiate between the "Author" field and the "Author Sort" field. I like to have my Author names set in standard Western fashion, e.g. William Shakespeare. I like to have my Author Sort with surname first, e.g. Shakespeare, William. I notice when I copy over my Amazon books, both fields are set as Shakespeare, William. It seems to rely on the "Author" field for sorting rather than allowing me independent control over the Author name to display and the Author Sort.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, an update. I used ** then * then # to get the order I want. The k3 has deleted the * (bummer) but kept the # But to get something to appear first now, only use 1 #, then two ## for items you want next, then 3 ### for items you want next. I use three categories of collections - things I want on the first page (eg current reads, books to read next etc my partners book collection) so they have # in front; then I have several pages of genres and these have ## in front, and then a whole lot of author collections, and these have ###
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Neither do the colon ( : ) or period (.) I'd used as leading characters on my DX and 2 collections.
An underscore "_" works just fine.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An underscore "_" works just fine.
Might try the underscore too, will check out whether it comes before or after the # but it is certainly unobtrusive.

OK, _ sorts after # but before ## That is weird.

Last edited by Pushka; 08-30-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, am I just the only one, who, after renaming the collections with * & / because they weren't sorted like on the K2, and then renaming them again with the * & / made them sort correctly again?

Granted, I just got it, I haven't played with it much besides pulling in my archives & collections, did said re-sorting trick, and then went back to sleep while it charged... ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-30-2010 at 10:55 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Might try the underscore too, will check out whether it comes before or after the # but it is certainly unobtrusive.

OK, _ sorts after # but before ## That is weird.
Is the sorting now like this:
1. #
2. _
3. ##
4. __
5. ###
6. ___

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, yeah, scratch my previous message, they went back to unsorted land after a framework restart. :/
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
By mine K 3 sorting of collections with * or **(showing first) as first sign of the name is okay. I have sortet like this:
** First on first page
* alphabetical (all other collections)
+ at the end
collections sorted by titel.

Mike
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard

I am now using @ for collections I want first, then # genre collections then ## for authors.

I like the way the @ appears on the kindle.
My * didnt work?

Pooh, I didnt use the _ in the end because it took too long to scroll across to it in the symbols page.

Also, where the collections sort changes if you do a 'space' after the symbol or not.

Last edited by Pushka; 08-30-2010 at 08:19 PM.