grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does it fit the K2 with a cover?
hi jon,

no it doesn't fit with a cover. i like using my kindle 2 nekkid so i never worry about the cover. this sleeve is great for tossing the kindle in my bag and heading out in the world without worrying about scratching the screen or getting the kindle all scuffed up.

karl
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If you travel frequently and take it with you, a hardy case might be a good idea.

Some of the cases available are also very very sexy to look at and add some bling to your kindle !
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I am a new Kindle owner and loaded a seriesof non-drm murder mystey on to my Kindle, I have since purchased other books via Whisper net. Amazon is obviously collecting data from what is on my kindle because the next time I went to the Amazon kindle store on my computer their recommendations for me were the reaming books in the mystery series I had put on my Kindle.

I find this very interesting, as long as they only due it for target marketing I am fine with this. However, in the future I may be include to change the title and remove the meta date when I send a book to my Kindle.

Anyone else had this issue?
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You find the same if you buy a paper book or any item from Amazon. They try to tailor the shopping experience to your tastes. Even your grocery store does this if you use their membership cards. They give you coupons based on your purchasing patterns.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #20
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
Amazon is obviously collecting data from what is on my kindle because the next time I went to the Amazon kindle store on my computer their recommendations for me were the reaming books in the mystery series I had put on my Kindle.
Personally, I find this a good feature. The recommendations are useful, and have occasionally helped me discover interersting titles I might not otherwise have known about.

And, by the way, it has nothing to do with collecting data from your Kindle. As Daffy4U correctly points out, it is the same system they use when you purchase paper books, or any other products. Changing meta data won't make any difference
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Holding any glass based eink reader without a cover is taking a risk that if it hits the floor, it will shatter. So please, don't use your readers without a proper cover. Granted, even with a cover, it can still break, but at least the chances of it breaking are less.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
hi jon,

no it doesn't fit with a cover. i like using my kindle 2 nekkid so i never worry about the cover. this sleeve is great for tossing the kindle in my bag and heading out in the world without worrying about scratching the screen or getting the kindle all scuffed up.

karl
If you want to use the sleeve, you risk your reader. get a proper cover and be safe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #23
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Okay, a few more things

1) Can I sync non-Amazon content to the iPod Touch app if I have an iPod Touch and a Kindle? In other words, if I load something from here onto the Kindle via USB, will it show up in the iPod Touch when that connects to the server?

2) Am I correct in my conclusion that the 'whispersync' means that if I read in the iPod Touch (for example while the Kindle is charging) and then go back to the Kindle later, the book will jump ahead to where I was on the iPod Touch?

3) Does the link at Manybooks to set up the Kindle to download wirelessly from there work in Canada or non-US, or is my only option if I don't want to buy Amazon content going to be downloading to PC and transferring via Calibre?

4) ANY options or hacks to group, organize or filter the books on the Kindle? Or must you scroll through every screen of books to find the one you want?

5) If I want to install a non-Englush dictionary (I am prepared to buy this) and use it with the dictionary look-up, how easy is this? Tutorial anywhere?

6) I have seen some cute gelskins. Is this enough? Or should I really be investing in a more 'proper' cover for it? I like the gelskin because it will look nice when I read it plain, and when I travel I have more sturdy things I can put it in.

I appreciate the help. I am very close to caving on this. I have plans to check out an EZ Pro in person this weekend but the TTS is very important to me and may be worth paying more for a Kindle.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #24
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ficbot,

I'll have a shot at some of your questions, but keep in mind that I'm not the most expert Kindle user around here. If anyone contradicts any of my answers, believe them, not me.

1) Can I sync non-Amazon content to the iPod Touch app if I have an iPod Touch and a Kindle?

Don't think so. The Touch has no way of knowing what's on your Kindle. It only knows what you've purchased from Amazon.

2) Am I correct in my conclusion that the 'whispersync' means that if I read in the iPod Touch (for example while the Kindle is charging) and then go back to the Kindle later, the book will jump ahead to where I was on the iPod Touch?

That's my understanding, but you need to have Whispernet access to do that.

3) Does the link at Manybooks to set up the Kindle to download wirelessly from there work in Canada or non-US, or is my only option if I don't want to buy Amazon content going to be downloading to PC and transferring via Calibre?

Can't answer the first part. But, in general, you don't need to use Calibre to transfer to Kindle from PC. You simply need the books to be in Mobi format. Many titles are available in that format (including many from this forum), or you can use the Mobi Pocket PC application to convert them. (But that doesn't mean you shouldn't insall Calibre anyway, which is a very useful tool in its own right.)

4) ANY options or hacks to group, organize or filter the books on the Kindle? Or must you scroll through every screen of books to find the one you want?

There is no system for organising books into folders or categories (although Amazon have promised this for a future software update). The best you can do is to sort the books by title, author or most recently read (the last option requires Whispernet). Or you can search for a given title (including searching for comments that you have added).

5) If I want to install a non-Englush dictionary (I am prepared to buy this) and use it with the dictionary look-up, how easy is this? Tutorial anywhere?

Pass.

6) I have seen some cute gelskins. Is this enough? Or should I really be investing in a more 'proper' cover for it? I like the gelskin because it will look nice when I read it plain, and when I travel I have more sturdy things I can put it in.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't use a cover or case or skin of any kind. If there's any risk of my Kindle getting wet, I put it in a transparent Ziploc bag. On the other hand, I guess it would make sense to get a good-quality protective case. I might do that myself soon. But in any case, you don't have to decide now. You can always buy the Kindle first and think about the protection later.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #25
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
I am a new Kindle owner and loaded a seriesof non-drm murder mystey on to my Kindle, I have since purchased other books via Whisper net. Amazon is obviously collecting data from what is on my kindle because the next time I went to the Amazon kindle store on my computer their recommendations for me were the reaming books in the mystery series I had put on my Kindle.

I find this very interesting, as long as they only due it for target marketing I am fine with this. However, in the future I may be include to change the title and remove the meta date when I send a book to my Kindle.

Anyone else had this issue?
Have you browsed this series on Amazon previously? They collect browsing data as well as buying data, so it might not necessarily mean they got the data from your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
You can only use one dictionary at a time with the Kindle - i.e. you have to set the default dictionary. You can have several loaded on it of course, but only the default can be used for instant, inter-page lookup. It's quite easy to change and the procedure is described in the manual.

Amazon sells 'Kindle Default Dictionaries' which should work, and you can get a French-English default dictionary.

There have been issues with some translation dictionaries; it appears that the input language must be English. If the dictionary is without DRM, that can fixed by manually changing the input language code to English. I did it for a german-english dictionary - see here, read post 28 and onward. As long as Kindle can find the word in the dictionary, it works fine.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Mike L, thanks so much for your help. I forgot about the search feature---that does make the lack of organization a bit less pressing of an issue. And if it can be added later bia software update, that's great. As for Calibre, I guess I thought the advantage would be that I could make sure the books all have correct author, title and info before they get sent to the Kindle...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #27
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Mike L, thanks so much for your help.
You're welcome.

Quote:
As for Calibre, I guess I thought the advantage would be that I could make sure the books all have correct author, title and info before they get sent to the Kindle...
With Mobi books, all the correct metadata should already be present. But if you are converting books from elsewhere, then you're right that Calibre is a good way of adding them.