Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Want to buy KV, thinking of postponing purchase

Hey Everyone, I've had a K4 since March 2012, and it's been my best friend while finishing uni.

I can't tell you how many times I've needed a book "real quick" and I've just bought it and downloaded it.

Anyway, I want to buy a KV. Even though the K4 works perfectly.

With all the issues that everyone has been talking about, I'm thinking it will be a good idea to wait until March 2015 to buy a KV. I live in Australia, and it's a pain returning things to the US.

I think it would be better to wait until a later production batch comes out, and that way (I hope) things will be a bit better by then.

What do you guys think ?
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sounds reasonable. I mean, not everyone is bothered even by the same screens.
But if you think it might be a problem, I can hear waiting few months for the quality control to settle down.

Really Amazon? Every two years, is that the new thing?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Keep in mind though that Amazon has said there is no problem with the screens (I believe Amazon has only acknowledged a firmware issue), so it may not change anything until the KV2 is released in October 2015.

I personally love my KV1 just as it is
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I would suggest giving it a try, and returning it if you don't like it. As said before, some people are more sensitive to the issue than others. You will never know where you stand until you give it a whirl.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I would suggest giving it a try, and returning it if you don't like it. As said before, some people are more sensitive to the issue than others. You will never know where you stand until you give it a whirl.
Return it from Australia? Read the OP again...
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Keep in mind though that Amazon has said there is no problem with the screens (I believe Amazon has only acknowledged a firmware issue), so it may not change anything until the KV2 is released in October 2015.

I personally love my KV1 just as it is
Amazon didn't say there was anything wrong with the PW1 either.

I suspect Quality Control issues, which will get fixed.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Really Amazon? Every two years, is that the new thing?
It does seem to be the new norm...
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Then again, if you are still happy with your K4, why not wait till fall 2015 for the next version? It's sure to be a little bit better.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A large majority of people are happy with the KV. Best thing to do is to look at the numerous screen photos that have been posted, and decide for yourself if you're in the small minority that finds the screen objectionable. If you're not, there's no reason not to buy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Can you visit a KV in a store? Then you'd know before you buy it, whether you'd like it.

[PS Despite my earlier comment about "if you like your K4 then wait" I didn't wait. I had troubles with one K4 crashing but I had a perfectly good backup K4. Still, I wanted a new toy, so I bought the Voyage even though the backup K4 is just fine. And I like the Voyage quite a lot!]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Then again, if you are still happy with your K4, why not wait till fall 2015 for the next version? It's sure to be a little bit better.
Well .... umm .. sometimes it's a good idea to wait, and wait.

But for me, I think that March 2015 will be a good order time. The K4 is 167 ppi and the KV is 300 ppi.

I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. I've also got a few teenagers who I'd like to give KVs to. They had a turn with an android tablet, and then got a bit "damaged" by watching weird youtube videos.

Just books. I think that's a good idea.

Oh, and I'll be the one controlling what books they read. I know there's alot of "not for kids" books on Amazon.
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvToRead View Post
I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. I've also got a few teenagers who I'd like to give KVs to. They had a turn with an android tablet, and then got a bit "damaged" by watching weird youtube videos.

Just books. I think that's a good idea.

Oh, and I'll be the one controlling what books they read. I know there's alot of "not for kids" books on Amazon.
There's a lot of not-for-kids books at the local library too.
If a kid really wants to read that kind of stuff, you cannot stop them. There are too many ways.

Nothing wrong with taking a healthy interest in what your kids get up to. But, a good approach is to teach them not to want to read those types of books, not censoring everything that comes into the house.

Just speaking from personal experience, I am not too far off from those days myself.
And I know a few people whose families and schools are heavy-handed, ban the internet types (the ultra-religious are, sometimes, really fun) -- typically the reaction to that is they go buy a cheap android smartphone and do whatever they want. Rinse and repeat when it gets discovered and confiscated.
WiFi is everywhere, of course.

Encourage all those wonderful books you know of which happen to be clean, don't dwell on all the things they might read instead.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvToRead View Post

What do you guys think ?
im assuming the kv ( 23 dec ) is the second batch. which is why one of the reasons my parner order today.

also every shop where we were had none and all websites are sold out

new stock on amazon uk due 20th dec .

so order it today had to cancel as it was orded on wrong account cus i wanted amazon to set up email for me

so currently its there but has no email address.
if u want kv id go for it as i think there may be christmas stock so not disapointed . also there are a few on ebay but not paying £300 for wifi.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
btw my k3 is actting up and k2 doesnt read the ebooks im having at christmas
so that is other reason we didnt wait
sian is offline   Reply With Quote