Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 05:14 PM   #1
baursak
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
sort Book list area in three steps

is that possible to sort Book list area in three steps?
- Authors
- Series
- Number (in series)
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 05:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not sure if you want to sort by the number of books in the series or the series index. If the latter, simply sort on series then on authors. Sorting on series sorts series and series index. If the former, i.e. sort by number of books in the series, that is going to require quite a bit more work.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 06:49 PM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Or maybe Ctrl + F5 -> Sort on multiple columns? Then select Author and Series

(I have the Sort by button replicated on the right side of the search bar, so I've just looked up that shortcut)
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:11 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Be advised that you can not have sorts that are mutually exclusive.
Series automatically sorts in index order.
BUT it that series has different Authors and then you Author sort
Bzzt.
ONE OR THE OTHER
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:21 AM   #5
baursak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if you want to sort by the number of books in the series or the series index. If the latter, simply sort on series then on authors. Sorting on series sorts series and series index. If the former, i.e. sort by number of books in the series, that is going to require quite a bit more work.
"sort on series then on authors" - that's produced exactly the result I've been looking for

thank you ever so much 👍
Advert
Old 03-17-2024, 05:00 AM   #6
baursak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

(I have the Sort by button replicated on the right side of the search bar, so I've just looked up that shortcut)
incredible...
- it works on Windows

but I have not found this shortcut on macOS
Old 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
incredible...
- it works on Windows

There is very little in Calibre the DOES NOT work on all 3 OS.
(the look may vary)

Use ctrl-F5 to start: Sort on Multiple columns: <fill out form as desired>

Comfy.n will have to explain how he created the button

BTW There is a Tweak if you always want to start calibre with this sort

Code:
ID: sort_columns_at_startup

Provide a set of columns to be sorted on when calibre starts. The argument is None if saved sort history is to be used otherwise it is a list of column,order pairs. Column is the lookup/search name, found using the tooltip for the column Order is 0 for ascending, 1 for descending. For example, set it to [('authors',0),('title',0)] to sort by title within authors.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences / Toolbars & menus / The buttons on the search bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	206955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	206956  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:07 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I was over thinking (and I forgot there were more than the menus ),
I was thinking Specific saved action (I already had Saved Searches)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
incredible...
- it works on Windows

Did you look for it in Preferences->Advanced->Shortcuts on the Mac?

I changed it to Ctrl+S (ess for Sort).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:20 AM   #11
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What chaley said.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #12
baursak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you look for it in Preferences->Advanced->Shortcuts on the Mac?

I changed it to Ctrl+S (ess for Sort).

BR
exactly!
- by default 'Show the Sort by menu' in Calibre is to be called with '⌘ + F5' command in macOS
- but macOS has reserved this shortcut for 'VoiceOver'
- so I've reassigned 'Show the Sort by menu' to '⌘ + S' and it works now w/out any conflict with macOS

thanks very much

P. S. however, I couldn't sort out the appropriate dedicated button

Last edited by baursak; 03-19-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
P. S. however, I couldn't sort out the appropriate dedicated button
If you mean this one:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-20 075917.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	207010

Like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-20 080058.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	207011

FWIW & IMO: it should be there by default, irrespective of being in grid or list view. And it should have a menu item for Re-apply current sort… afaik it can only accessed via a shortcut (F5 default), which seems inconsistent with calibre's UX design principles… a clickable something for everything.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:31 AM   #14
baursak

Quote:
If you mean this one:

Attachment 207010

Like this:

Attachment 207011

FWIW & IMO: it should be there by default, irrespective of being in grid or list view. And it should have a menu item for Re-apply current sort… afaik it can only accessed via a shortcut (F5 default), which seems inconsistent with calibre's UX design principles… a clickable something for everything.

BR
thanks a lot
- I've managed to reproduce your screenshots
- and now I have the button "Sort by" with my custom 'triple sort'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-03-20.png
Views:	25
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	207018  
Old 03-20-2024, 02:49 AM   #15
baursak

Quote:
If you mean this one:

Attachment 207010

Like this:

Attachment 207011

BR
I've also managed to organize my VL's in tabs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	better (1) 2024-03-20 094218.png
Views:	26
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	207019   Click image for larger version

Name:	better (2) 2024-03-20 094601.png
Views:	30
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	207020   Click image for larger version