Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2024, 02:24 PM   #1
svennd
svennd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
extremely slow N514

Hey all

I picked up a few new books, and wanted to read on my old trusty Kobo, but it was extremly slow to respond. Like a few minutes to load the epub, and then page turns seemed like not-responding.

I tried to factory reset it, however over-night the screen didn't change from the "are you sure screen". (with the button clearly clicked). I charged it from the wall. I used the reset button to reboot.

And now I tried to upgrade the firmware, however the kobo desktop doesn't want to help me as I previously used a email to login and now i used facebook... with the same email. So now it tells me to logout the desktop since its a "different" email (desktop vs e-reader). When I want to login by e-mail the desktop tells me I used facebook... By god they make it easy.

I now tried to download the latest update and extract it in .kobo/ to see if that works.

To me it looks like the flash storage is broken of sorts ? Did anyone experience this ? The screen is fine, since it is able to change screen reliably. I checked some disassembly video's and I don't think its user-replaceable. Is there a way to boot from the tf/sd card ? Or any other idea's ?

I know buying a new one is the most likely solution, but its a bit a shame to go a perfectly working e-ink screen go to the waste
svennd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:43 PM   #2
svennd

update: I was able to install 4.38.21908 (aug/'23) version, after forceing shutdown (since it was hanging on the connected & charging screen, even though I succesfully ejected it from my computer).

I'm now trying another factory reset. But it looks like it's hanging again.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:59 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Unfortunately, the Aura N514 does not have removable internal storage so if the chip is failing, that's pretty much all they wrote.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:47 AM   #4
svennd

Thanks for the advice, it's not possible to trick the reader into booting from SD card ?

Can I do a factory reset by deleting eg. the kobo folder ?
Old 03-19-2024, 03:18 AM   #5
svennd

I was seeing this (mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4356487&postcount=124), and thought it would be possible to boot from there, but I believe this is if the firmware is bricked but the storage is still fine.

So the final hour has hit for my dear kobo ... okay thanks!
Old 03-19-2024, 04:13 AM   #6
svennd

I'm not sure what to make of it, I removed the sqlite databases and then connected it to my kobo desktop app (since it can't find any wifi), and i now tried to read a free book I got through kobo.

Bootup takes about ~3 seconds, and page turn takes 6-7 seconds. Since it can't find any wifi, might this be a broken battery ? Just polling every few seconds I see the % go down as i tab the battery icon.

I'm all for buying a new kobo but only the premium one's have a flush screen, most have the screen a bit lower ...
Old 03-19-2024, 07:28 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svennd View Post
I'm not sure what to make of it, I removed the sqlite databases and then connected it to my kobo desktop app (since it can't find any wifi), and i now tried to read a free book I got through kobo.

Bootup takes about ~3 seconds, and page turn takes 6-7 seconds. Since it can't find any wifi, might this be a broken battery ? Just polling every few seconds I see the % go down as i tab the battery icon.

I'm all for buying a new kobo but only the premium one's have a flush screen, most have the screen a bit lower ...
Sounds like you may have had a corrupt database. As for the battery, it sounds like it needs to be replaced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:25 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The recessed screen is considered a feature by some, as it improves the image clarity to have fewer layers of glass and/or plastic between the image and the screen surface.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The recessed screen is considered a feature by some, as it improves the image clarity to have fewer layers of glass and/or plastic between the image and the screen surface.
the problem is (as seen on the PW4) is that the screen is flush. Because of this the layers are spread father apart and then screen looks less sharp and less focused. That's why the PW4 is less sharp and more muddy then the PW3.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:36 PM   #10
svennd

Hey all,

I replaced the battery and charged for a few hours, and now I have been reading all afternoon �� i have the feeling it missed my page turns a bit more often then before but that might just be expected wear.

Given the new kobo models i'm happy this one churns out a a little longer !
Old 03-23-2024, 03:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by svennd View Post
Hey all,

I replaced the battery and charged for a few hours, and now I have been reading all afternoon �� i have the feeling it missed my page turns a bit more often then before but that might just be expected wear.

Given the new kobo models i'm happy this one churns out a a little longer !
Well done!

Tags
not responding, storage