Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
what are the chances

that the EBW1150 and/or REB 1200 will ever be able to read more than just .IMP books?
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Low, I'd hazard, given that eBookwise recently started selling 1150s with 64 MB internal memory. The move up from 8 would have been the time to swap in another chip to handle other formats, Unicode fonts, and other firmware updates, IMO. I'd be more inclined to see the current sale as clearing inventory for a successor model than to think major changes in the current model were planned.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Well, if it hasn't happen until now, then it MIGHT not happen ever.

The EBW1150 understands a very specific and obsolete programming code and newer updates to that hardware with a modern Linux based system would be highly unlikely. Unlikely, but I hope not impossible!

While examining and tearing apart the .imp format I realized that the EBW1150 does not allow you to freely display ebooks in .imp formats that is, every position on the screen is PRE-calculated by the eBook Publisher program and it's .dll libraries. Where the line ends, which characters are bold, is the underline a hyperlink?, etc... all need to be specified beforehand as the EBW1150 cannot make these decisions on its own.

All the above info is "stored" in the .imp format and exploded into the .res format which the EBW1150 uses to know how to display EACH page in only Small and Large fonts. Nothing is left to chance or can be modified if not explicitly allowed for when the .imp ebook was created. The EBW1150 cannot "read" any other format except for it's own .imp (.res) format.

However, that said, while working on Linreb and Impserve, we discovered that the EBW1150 comes with an internal .html viewer capable of viewing simple .html files that have been "prepared" properly. However, there is no automatic advance to next page, unless it's written into the .html code and navigation is thus not available unless explicitly allowed for. In theory, if an ebook with .html files (anyone say .epub?) could be converted by an external program (like the code for EPUBReader does?) into its basic .html elements then that ebook could be viewed with the internal .html viewer and open up a new reading experience...

So it seems there could be a parallel in that a .imp ebook needs to be converted for the .res internal viewer to display it properly just like a .epub may need to be converted for the .html internal viewer to display it...

Anyone interested in exploring this further?

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-16-2010 at 12:47 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Lago
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Well, if it hasn't happen until now, then it MIGHT not happen ever.

The EBW1150 understands a very specific and obsolete programming code and newer updates to that hardware with a modern Linux based system would be highly unlikely. Unlikely, but I hope not impossible!

While examining and tearing apart the .imp format I realized that the EBW1150 does not allow you to freely display ebooks in .imp formats that is, every position on the screen is PRE-calculated by the eBook Publisher program and it's .dll libraries. Where the line ends, which characters are bold, is the underline a hyperlink?, etc... all need to be specified beforehand as the EBW1150 cannot make these decisions on its own.

All the above info is "stored" in the .imp format and exploded into the .res format which the EBW1150 uses to know how to display EACH page in only Small and Large fonts. Nothing is left to chance or can be modified if not explicitly allowed for when the .imp ebook was created. The EBW1150 cannot "read" any other format except for it's own .imp (.res) format.

However, that said, while working on Linreb and Impserve, we discovered that the EBW1150 comes with an internal .html viewer capable of viewing simple .html files that have been "prepared" properly. However, there is no automatic advance to next page, unless it's written into the .html code and navigation is thus not available unless explicitly allowed for. In theory, if an ebook with .html files (anyone say .epub?) could be converted by an external program (like the code for EPUBReader does?) into its basic .html elements then that ebook could be viewed with the internal .html viewer and open up a new reading experience...

So it seems there could be a parallel in that a .imp ebook needs to be converted for the .res internal viewer to display it properly just like a .epub may need to be converted for the .html internal viewer to display it...

Anyone interested in exploring this further?
how about we develpe third party firmware instead?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
fiendydiormem
Banned
fiendydiormem began at the beginning.

Device: fiendydiormem
what are the chances

The whole situation surrounding the club appears to be a complete shambles.

The Trust have increased membership following administration but what are they doing? Bar sponsoring the youth game its been very quiet for the last couple of weeks on the Trust front.

The general populace of Palace supporters are reliant on the Trust for information as there seems to be either none, or bollocks coming from Brendan.

Could the Trust update their website with some info please.
fiendydiormem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Quote:
The whole situation surrounding the club appears to be a complete shambles.

The Trust have increased membership following administration but what are they doing? Bar sponsoring the youth game its been very quiet for the last couple of weeks on the Trust front.

The general populace of Palace supporters are reliant on the Trust for information as there seems to be either none, or bollocks coming from Brendan.

Could the Trust update their website with some info please.
Huh? Am I missing something, or am I just obtuse? What's the club? Who's the Trust? And what is their website? Are these all just references to ETI? If so, I agree, I would like more recent information as well. On the other hand, I am impressed to hear that they're sponsoring anything.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Lago
Connoisseur

ok, so the devic(es) can read basic HTML, but not with page turning.... what about possibly setting it up to scroll?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I have to believe this work would be very low priority for Fictionwise's coders.

Even if they could deliver ePub, surely the DRM issues would be killers. And I don't see them doing ePub just for non-DRMed books. So, much though I'd love to see this, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
(and eBookWise owner/user)
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Lago
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
I have to believe this work would be very low priority for Fictionwise's coders.

Even if they could deliver ePub, surely the DRM issues would be killers. And I don't see them doing ePub just for non-DRMed books. So, much though I'd love to see this, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
(and eBookWise owner/user)
how about a third party option? too bad im no programmer, id be sorely tempted to start working on it myself.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lago View Post
how about a third party option?
Unlikely. You get an eBookwise for $100, and basic e-ink readers that handle more common ebbok formats and memory card types are down to $150 and dropping. They'll be $100 by year's end, almost certainly. Developers would likely focus on the newer machines.

On another level, do they actually make ETI-2s anymore? I've asked before, and no one has ever said if they do. I've always wondered if they aren't simply selling off decade-old units from the first ebook revolution, that didn't take off as some thought it might.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Unlikely. You get an eBookwise for $100, and basic e-ink readers that handle more common ebbok formats and memory card types are down to $150 and dropping. They'll be $100 by year's end, almost certainly. Developers would likely focus on the newer machines.

Quote:
On another level, do they actually make ETI-2s anymore? I've asked before, and no one has ever said if they do. I've always wondered if they aren't simply selling off decade-old units from the first ebook revolution, that didn't take off as some thought it might.
Selling off old stock is about right; recent stock has had an internal modification to replace the 8MB on-board RAM with a 64 MB chip (also on-board, I believe) and thereby not requiring a SM card (which is scarce) for extra storage space. I think even ETI/eBookwise has run out of their supply of 128 MB / 64 MB SmartMedia cards...

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-13-2010 at 11:46 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Any chance of the imp format being readable on newer devices? An emulator that could run on Android perhaps?
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Any chance of the imp format being readable on newer devices? An emulator that could run on Android perhaps?
EBook publisher includes an emulator that can be used separately to read a document. There are some limitations but it works pretty well. It will run on Windows and Mac machines.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I have to say I bought and eBookwise as it was most affordable. Now, however, I do most of my reading on my iPod touch (bday present) and my Dell Axim X30 (under $100 on eBay). I'm giving my eBookwise to my Mom so she can bring a bunch of books with her when she travels
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote