Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
$79 Kindle for "proofing" my own mobi's

I'm converting some paper works for someone to ePubs and mobi's. I've been checking my work on Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPad but I'd like to also check them on a Kindle. Is there any reason to spend more than the $79 for the low end Kindle? I'll be exclusively side-loading my own books (email I guess?) and just checking appearance, format, TOC, etc.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I'm converting some paper works for someone to ePubs and mobi's. I've been checking my work on Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPad but I'd like to also check them on a Kindle. Is there any reason to spend more than the $79 for the low end Kindle? I'll be exclusively side-loading my own books (email I guess?) and just checking appearance, format, TOC, etc.
If you are proofing the text, he best format to proof is ePub as it's a lot easier to make corrections to and then convert the ePub to Mobi.

For your needs, it sounds like the $79 Kindle will do just fine to make sure the eBooks you produce look good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I'll be exclusively side-loading my own books (email I guess?) and just checking appearance, format, TOC, etc.
If you just want to check look-and-feel and basic functionality (TOC displays upon button-click and internal links work, but no search), then Amazon's Kindle Previewer app simulates the K2/K3/KDX fairly well, and you can set it to iPhone/iPad app display also.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Since you're planning to use it to proof, don't use email.

Even if you send a Mobi or AZW your ebook will still be converted and the formatting will change.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Shiromi
Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I already own a Kindle, so I often check on the Kindle as well as using the Kindle Previewer app, but I agree with ATDrake, the app really does an excellent job of simulating what it will look like. I would save yourself the $79.
Shiromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.. I'll go with the Preveiwer app knowing it does a good job. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer

Let me just add...

I have Kindle for Mac, Kindle for iPad, and Kindle for my iPod Touch so I have three good (varied) screen sizes. My main concern was how the mobi would show on a Kindle itself (not knowing how well the apps mentioned work as compared to the Kindle device.)

I'll be interested to see how the KindlePreviewer app works as compared to Kindle app on my Apple devices.