Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Thumbs down You need to own a reader to join

Hi just a small point, but on your joining form, it won't let you leave the "Type of Reader" box empty. Nor will it let you blank it out after joining.

Since I'd expect many new members to be, like me, non-owners but on the lookout for advice, you might benefit from allowing a blank box here.

Yes, I know you can lie about it, as I did, or even put None as I discovered, but not everyone is as bold as I am.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I think anyone can figure out what to put in that field, so that's not really a problem.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I think anyone can figure out what to put in that field, so that's not really a problem.
No, but it would be nicer if you didn't have to.
(And Bob on the Welcome forum told me to post it here)
Old 10-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
(And Bob on the Welcome forum told me to post it here)
Suggested.

BOb

(As someone said I guess you could type "none" there. But, I also agree it shouldn't be a required field.)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Suggested.
BOb
Sorry Bob, nothing intended, just loose wording on my part.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I know that it can be a bit of a pain, but have to say that making it required has the benefit that when someone is replying to a post they can see which device(s) you have, which can often put a question or statement in context.

I've found that It's especially useful, when communicating with new members, as it allows the long time members to quicky zero in and offer encouragement and advice.

I'll actually like the Location to be required as well, as often answers to queries are very much dependent on location.

Perhaps a small note besides the fields suggesting putting none / searching when a new member registers
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
You need to own a reader to join
Technically, you need device to join.

Before the advent and rampant popularity of dedicated e-ink readers, MobileRead had a somewhat broader focus. It included phones, PDAs, even laptops and such because those were the devices available for mobile reading. We still pay some attention to other mobile devices, but the focus has mostly shifted.

That being said, I tend to agree that at least a note that the "device" field could be filled in with something like "none yet" would be a good move.

And yeah, this is definitely the place to offer such suggestions. Our Forum Architect, Alex, does make it a point to read posts here, and is pretty good about acting on them. However, he also has quite a back-log in his in-box so it can sometimes take him a while to get to things.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Instead of a blank textbox, perhaps having a list of devides to select from with "Still deciding" as an option and an "other" textbox that could be filled in would be more appropriate....

just a couple of cents from my direction
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
People have made some ineresting points here.
I think that it's a good idea to ask what devices member have, because we do get posts from new members asking, 'How do I do X?' And the answer may very, depending on their device. Members don't always think to mention which device they possess.
A drop-down menu, including 'just looking' sounds very promising at first. Then you start looking at all the new Hanlin clones, the older pda's etc, and realise that it would be a very long menu indeed.
So, it's not as easy to fix as one might hope. But it's certainly worth thinking whether an improvement is possible.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the idea of a help note ("you can enter 'none' or 'still looking,' etc.") is probably the most practical one.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that you may be right there, Natch.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think the idea of a help note ("you can enter 'none' or 'still looking,' etc.") is probably the most practical one.
I agree, this could be helpful.

The problem with a drop-down is that some people would like to enter more than one device.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Title: E-Book Device
Description: Your (prospective) e-book device (feel free to enter 'none' if you haven't decided yet)
How does this sound?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sounds just dandy to me, Alex!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we make the location manitory too? Answers can also depend on where the person lives.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote