Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Fancies and Goodnights, by John Collier

This classic collection of Collier's short fiction is finally available at the Kindle store. Worth the price of admission just for the closing line of the story "Over Insurance." Damon Knight once called "The Touch of Nutmeg Makes It" one of the finest short murder mysteries ever written. The Sondheim musical "Evening Primrose" was based on one of the stories in this collection. Tales from this book were adapted for the Alfred Hitchcock tv series and Twilight Zone. You don't want to miss this one; don't take my word for it -- in his intro to the NYRB paperback edition of this book (unfortunately not in the Kindle edition) Ray Bradbury said of Collier: "I can name no other writer in the twentieth century whose work has given me such constant pleasure."

Fancies and Goodnights
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
This sounds really good, and at a nice price of $4.99. I've never heard of this guy, so thanks so much for posting about him.

NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
sounds interesting ! might pick this up too hmm...

the NYRB edition is a beautiful paperback, though...nice cover

Last edited by wyndslash; 06-14-2011 at 01:29 AM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for mentioning this. I read it years ago, and it's nice to finally own it now for my Kindle.

The price is NOT $6.99 - listed on the front end of Amazon - but actually $4.99.

Now purchased.

This is a great book.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
One of my favorite books.
How many stories does it have? The original has around 50 short stories, but some paperback editions have only 30-something.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Ben, there are 50 stories in the ebook. Just checked the Kindle edition contents against the contents page of the NYRB edition and didn't find any omissions.

Enjoy,
--tr
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Amazon seems to be the only place that has it.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm recommending this without any reservations.

This is a fantastic book.

Short-story wannabes should put their pen down or walk away from their computer and read this book of short stories before attempting to write anything else.

Don
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Since only Amazon has it, is it a Topaz format?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think it is. It's quite speedy on my Kindle 3.

Don
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard

If you download the sample you get the first four stories, Bottle Party, De Mortuis, Evening Primrose, and Witchs Money.
De Mortuis was a Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode. Evening Primrose is his most familiar story, or at least the most anthologized.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info--think I'll take a chance on it. I have a bunch of Collier stories in various anthologies and it will be nice to have them in one collection--I love "Evening Primrose."
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Let us know if you enjoy it or not.

Don
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the info--think I'll take a chance on it. I have a bunch of Collier stories in various anthologies and it will be nice to have them in one collection--I love "Evening Primrose."
Evening Primrose was adapted by Stephen Sondheim for a TV musical starring Tony Perkins in the early 60s. I think it's available on Dvd and Netflix streaming. Some scenes are on YouTube.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Evening Primrose was adapted by Stephen Sondheim for a TV musical starring Tony Perkins in the early 60s. I think it's available on Dvd and Netflix streaming. Some scenes are on YouTube.
I know, I know! Major Sondheim fan here; I had a multigenerational bootleg copy of Evening Primrose on VHS for years and was thrilled at the commercial DVD release, which is beautifully done. I also have a copy of the radio broadcast of an adaptation of "Evening Primrose" from 1947; if interested, a copy of the script of that adaptation appears here.