Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
That whole room of computers had less memory and storage than many modern PCs phones ...
Fixed that for you.

My first home computer was a Sinclair ZX-81 that I built from a kit. For those of you who think "kit" = "plug the boards into the slots", this was "solder the discrete components onto the pcb". My first computer business was selling 2k upgrade kits (a chip, a strip of solder-in pin sockets, and a page of hand-illustrated instructions) for 1k ZX-81s through a little ad in the back of Sync magazine.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #47
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Talking about kits, my 8th grade graudation present was a Heathkit shortwave radio. It was a case, a pcb, some wire, and a pile of components that had to be soldered to the pcb. My parents though putting it together would keep me busy all summer. I had it working in less than a week, including crawling up on the roof and stringing a folded dipole.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #48
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Wow, you guys... And here I was thinking that I knew some old computers. My first (own) computer was a 8087 in 1996.
But then again, I believe I'm about one generation younger, so...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Talking about kits, my 8th grade graudation present was a Heathkit shortwave radio. It was a case, a pcb, some wire, and a pile of components that had to be soldered to the pcb. My parents though putting it together would keep me busy all summer. I had it working in less than a week, including crawling up on the roof and stringing a folded dipole.
Heathkit, now there is a name that is hardly hear.
My first was a V7a VTVM (with a tube in the AC probe,
An early Transistor Integrated Amp (AA21) And a Tube-type, Stereo Tuner (AJ??)
The I built the Weather Station and kept it running for over 20 years.

My firs OWNED computer was a TI 99-4
(We had DEC-PDP-8's, PDP-16's at work. Paper tape input)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #50
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm going and I can't myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Heathkit, now there is a name that is hardly hear.
Those catalogs were like Christmas to me. When I studied electronics in high school I learned the complete workings, waveforms, frequencies, voltages of and AM and FM radio... using tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My firs OWNED computer was a TI 99-4
I actually won a Commodore PET computer in a raffle. A sizzling processor and a whopping 8k of memory topped off by a built in tape cassette storage system.

The big news back then was increases in modem speeds from 300 to 1200 to 2400 to etc....
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm going and I can't myself.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #52
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm ... I dunno what tools the MR forum software gives them, but if the mods can split threads, I think this one needs to be split, and this half of it needs to be chased off to the Lounge where it belongs.

I've got a whole collection of weird computers out in my storage, and in my mother-in-law's basement, including an Apple II GS -- special Woz limited edition.

The one thing I've never been able to lay hands on is one of the handful of NTSC-video Sinclair Spectrums that were made for sale in Canada. I'd really love to get one of those, but in my random poking on eBay, etc,. I've never seen one.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Since we are talking about ancient things (and keep my age out of it!), I'm still using an old Micronta (early Radio Shack brand) digital multimeter, one of the first ones out. Still works just fine after around 30 years.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #54
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
And let's not forget 026 and 029 keypunches D
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #55
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
My first computers were the IBM 1620 & CDC 1604; first languages: Fortran II, SPS assembly, CDC CODAP assembler. I also had a Hallicrafters SSB receiver, and a Heathkit 80 meter (or was it 40m?) transmitter. You guys are making me feel old )

Back on topic: it's best to think of the files used by Calibre to store ebook content as records in a black box database.

Last edited by eboyhan; 06-22-2010 at 12:51 AM.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #56
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Since we are talking about ancient things (and keep my age out of it!), I'm still using an old Micronta (early Radio Shack brand) digital multimeter, one of the first ones out. Still works just fine after around 30 years.
I still have one too.

For general purpose use I like my pocket-sized autoranging DMM, but when you need to watch for subtle needle twitches, you can't beat an analog meter.

I was a weird kid. My Christmas wish lists featured Radio Shack part numbers.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #57
kokoshmusun
kokoshmusun began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Ok I gave up and I'm loading everything into Calibre now. I'm really nervous.

When I want to highlight, I go to the folder within Calibre and open the pdf in Xournal. Then I save highlights in Xournal, they have nothing to do with the original pdf anyway. I save the Xournal highlights in their own folder.

I keep a backup of my books outside of Calibre, just in case.

I hope it works.

My first PC was a 80286. I think I had 1 MB RAM and 40 MB HDD. I remember when I heard that Windows was going to come out with a version that would directly boot at the GUI (no DOS command line), I thought "what? that's impossible, it can't be!". I was a kid.
kokoshmusun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #58
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoshmusun View Post
My first PC was a 80286. I think I had 1 MB RAM and 40 MB HDD. I remember when I heard that Windows was going to come out with a version that would directly boot at the GUI (no DOS command line), I thought "what? that's impossible, it can't be!". I was a kid.
Yeah, that was Win95a, wasn't it? At that time, in my opinion, having a GUI sucked- all my games ran fine from CLI
(Further Thread-jacking: Ah, and what fine games there were... If I had a cent for every hour I spent on all the Lucasarts adventures, I'd be rich.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Yeah, that was Win95a, wasn't it? At that time, in my opinion, having a GUI sucked- all my games ran fine from CLI
(Further Thread-jacking: Ah, and what fine games there were... If I had a cent for every hour I spent on all the Lucasarts adventures, I'd be rich.)
Probably win 2.1, 3.1 would be in 386 days
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #60
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Wow, you guys... And here I was thinking that I knew some old computers. My first (own) computer was a 8087 in 1996.
But then again, I believe I'm about one generation younger, so...
Is that old? Or perhaps I should cry And I agree with theducks. I didn't know about Windows 2.1 (My first windows was Windows 3.1, before I worked with WAX/VMS), but definitely Windows 95 wasn't the first Windows (at least Windows 3.11 and Windows 3.11).

And my first computer was a Z-80, where I make my Pascal practices for the university.

And about calibre, I think there're two options: you can use it for managing the library, so you leave alone how to store and recover the books (the calibre-librarian does it) or you use the command line (or GUI if you prefer) for conversion and meta-data change (in my case, I go to the second option, calibre arrived very late to my life )

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 06-22-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote