Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #616
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Stop it, y'all are killing me!!! There is NO BBQ here, none at all. Chris says nearest "decent" BBQ place is in Chicago, but not being an expert in BBQ, he doesn't know exactly where or what kind is "decent" to MY standards. I would absolutely kill for some good brisket right about now. (Okay, well maybe not, but I'd sure do a lot of things....). Even if I find a BBQ place near enough to get to semi-regularly, I'd say it's a safe bet the specialty will be pork, not beef. *whine*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #617
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Stop it, y'all are killing me!!! There is NO BBQ here, none at all. Chris says nearest "decent" BBQ place is in Chicago, but not being an expert in BBQ, he doesn't know exactly where or what kind is "decent" to MY standards. I would absolutely kill for some good brisket right about now. (Okay, well maybe not, but I'd sure do a lot of things....). Even if I find a BBQ place near enough to get to semi-regularly, I'd say it's a safe bet the specialty will be pork, not beef. *whine*.
Shel, try the recipe I posted in the recipe thread for a BBQ beef made in a crockpot. I won't say that it was as good as Scruby's, but it was more than good enough to satisfy MY BBQ cravings and easy enough to do! I didn't use brisket only because I can't get that cut here. It would work in the recipe just as well as the top round that I used. In fact, my wife asked me to make it again for next weekend. For her to request the same meal twice in one month is high praise indeed!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #618
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Shel, try the recipe I posted in the recipe thread for a BBQ beef made in a crockpot. I won't say that it was as good as Scruby's, but it was more than good enough to satisfy MY BBQ cravings and easy enough to do! I didn't use brisket only because I can't get that cut here. It would work in the recipe just as well as the top round that I used. In fact, my wife asked me to make it again for next weekend. For her to request the same meal twice in one month is high praise indeed!

Stitchawl
I'll go take another look at it, Stitchawl. I do love my Crockpot. I usually won't buy brisket, even when I can get it, because it runs about six dollars a pound, and the smallest I can usually get is over 5 pounds. Well, 30 bucks for one piece of meat is usually a bit out of my budget. Thanks for the pointer!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #619
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll go take another look at it, Stitchawl. I do love my Crockpot. I usually won't buy brisket, even when I can get it, because it runs about six dollars a pound, and the smallest I can usually get is over 5 pounds. Well, 30 bucks for one piece of meat is usually a bit out of my budget. Thanks for the pointer!
Sigh! I wish I could get beef for $6 a pound... Here, meat is sold in 100 gram increments... That's less than 1/4 pound. Except when we go to the wholesale butchers, we never even SEE cuts of meat larger than about a pound! When I made my BBQ, I used three pieces of top round that totaled about two lbs. You do NOT want to know what I had to pay for that.

Stitchawl
Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #620
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Oh, Shel, I wish you could have been here yesterday. (Well, except for the tornado warnings all day!) My nephew fixed brisket for our Labor Day cookout, and honestly, he worked on it for 2 days or so. The first day he used a marinade (or maybe a rub?) on it, then yesterday morning he put it on the grill and smoked it for 8 hours. Then it had to rest. (It was quite a production, lol!)

It was mouth-wateringly good. The smell alone while it was cooking was incredible, but the taste, and the tenderness...OMG.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #621
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Oh, Shel, I wish you could have been here yesterday. (Well, except for the tornado warnings all day!) My nephew fixed brisket for our Labor Day cookout, and honestly, he worked on it for 2 days or so. The first day he used a marinade (or maybe a rub?) on it, then yesterday morning he put it on the grill and smoked it for 8 hours. Then it had to rest. (It was quite a production, lol!)

It was mouth-wateringly good. The smell alone while it was cooking was incredible, but the taste, and the tenderness...OMG.
Where's that crying emoticon????????? Tell him he has to do it again for next Labor Day, and invite me!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #622
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OMG! We had to go back to Scrubies for their Sunday "All You Can Eat" rib special. Best we have ever tasted!

I left enough bare bones to build a whole 'nuther pig(skeleton)!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #623
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
OMG! We had to go back to Scrubies for their Sunday "All You Can Eat" rib special. Best we have ever tasted!

I left enough bare bones to build a whole 'nuther pig(skeleton)!!
Oh no... Are you telling us that they do a 'regular' all you can eat EVERY Sunday?!?

That might be cause enough for us to make another trip to the States! I'm sure I can eat enough of Scruby's ribs to make the trip pay for iteself. I always ordered the "Rack and a Half" when I was there, and despite the fact that it was more than enough for 'most folks,' would have been happy to have another rack and a half! I'd just cut down on the French Fries...

I just put two pounds of top round into the crockpot with a load of BBQ seasonings. BBQ'd pulled beef for dinner tonight. It won't be up to Scruby's quality, but it's damn close!

Stitchawl
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #624
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that is the special every Sunday. And dig this: It cost $1 LESS than the regular slab! Glory Hallelujah!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #625
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Mandarin oranges
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #626
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Yes, that is the special every Sunday. And dig this: It cost $1 LESS than the regular slab! Glory Hallelujah!
I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you

Will you adopt me so I can live closer to Scruby's?

I'm going to have to check with the lawyer and see if my mother's condo has already been sold... If not, I may just have to keep it so I can be just a couple of blocks away from Scruby's.

Stitchawl
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #627
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm dieting, and to make sure I don't eat anything on the naughty list, I have the bare minimum in the cupboard.

Suddenly I CRAVE the food I ate as a child in South Africa, nearly 60 years ago.

a doorstop slice of white bread hacked off the loaf, with a layer of butter, a layer of peanut butter, and smothered in Illovo Golden Syrup. Oh my, I haven't had it in years, and I'd give my eye teeth to sink those same teeth through those yielding, delicious flavours and textures. But, no bread, no butter, no peanut butter, and I haven't seen Illovo brand golden syrup in decades. so...... a nibble on some rather bendy celery, and a raw carrot for me. (wails pitifully as she exits stage left, back of hand to forehead and tearful eyes raised to the heavens, begging for a miracle)
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #628
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybells View Post
I'm dieting, and to make sure I don't eat anything on the naughty list, I have the bare minimum in the cupboard.

Suddenly I CRAVE the food I ate as a child in South Africa, nearly 60 years ago.

a doorstop slice of white bread hacked off the loaf, with a layer of butter, a layer of peanut butter, and smothered in Illovo Golden Syrup. Oh my, I haven't had it in years, and I'd give my eye teeth to sink those same teeth through those yielding, delicious flavours and textures. But, no bread, no butter, no peanut butter, and I haven't seen Illovo brand golden syrup in decades. so...... a nibble on some rather bendy celery, and a raw carrot for me. (wails pitifully as she exits stage left, back of hand to forehead and tearful eyes raised to the heavens, begging for a miracle)
That sounds yummy and sticky and comforting.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #629
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybells View Post
a doorstop slice of white bread hacked off the loaf, with a layer of butter, a layer of peanut butter, and smothered in Illovo Golden Syrup.
I thought people in South Africa ate lions and elephants and okapi biltong and stuff! What's with this "Golden Syrup" business? Won't "Lyle's" Golden Syrup work in a pinch?

Stitchawl
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #630
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Glory Hallelujah is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you

Will you adopt me so I can live closer to Scruby's?

I'm going to have to check with the lawyer and see if my mother's condo has already been sold... If not, I may just have to keep it so I can be just a couple of blocks away from Scruby's.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl, it's not diplomatic to hit someone with a string of "I hate you's" and THEN ask for a favor - ask for the adoption FIRST!!

I have to admit I'm pretty darn jealous myself, but I don't want pork, I want BEEF, preferably brisket. At this point I'd probably settle for bbq'd shoe leather though...