Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
millerjpmd
millerjpmd doesn't littermillerjpmd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Conversion of Journal Article PDF

I am new to this forum and I want to thank everyone who has contributed. In the last there days I haved learned more about working with eBooks, PRS-505 and Calibre then I thought possible.

My question revolves around converting a 2 columned article downloaded as a PDF. The problem is that the articles have text, tables and images in some combination. They also include headers and footers.

The small zoom setting shows the whole page but when zoomed issues can occur.

The text only files do pretty well and I have had better results just using calibre than messing with the article using demo versions of deskUNPDF or Textlightening.

The image containing files are readable. I have learned to ignore the smaller font text and can read the article. Tables and formulas are difficult. Sometimes formulas are are one line and for others they are on separate lines.

I realize that this may be beyond what this reader is designed to do but I found the 505 so much easier to read than the 700 (with its pan and zoom abilities) that I chose the 505.

If anyone has any ideas or can recommend things I can read about to help with these issues I would appreciate it. I am attaching a sample article that demonstrates some of these issues.

Thanks, JPM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PISA 1-3.pdf (460.0 KB, 446 views)
millerjpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Interesting: your file can reflow the 3 first pages but not the 4th!

Without loosing much time with the file I would say, try to read in landscape - press the zoom button until the screen rotates - and see if it's acceptable.

One thing you can make to try to get a bit more of information is to crop the white margin, I have made a new version of yours using Acrobat 8 and I’m uploading it here.

Best,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PISA 1-3a.pdf (430.2 KB, 439 views)
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
How do you crop the margins?
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

In this situation and in Acrobat - where I say above I have done it - by choosing Document, Crop Pages, and in the options that appear activate Remove White Margins (on the left side) and activate Page Range All (on the right side).

Last edited by DDHarriman; 01-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
millerjpmd

Something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Without loosing much time with the file I would say, try to read in landscape - press the zoom button until the screen rotates - and see if it's acceptable.

One thing you can make to try to get a bit more of information is to crop the white margin, I have made a new version of yours using Acrobat 8 and I’m uploading it here.

Best,
I just got achance to try your edited file. It does make it slightly easier to read but I did notice something odd. While in landscape mode the last 4 or 5 lines near the page cut are slightly grayer. When on the top of the page the lighter text is at the bottom of the screen and when on the bottom cut the lighter text are at the top of the screen.

Any ideas?

JPM
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru

When the reader lets one read 2 1/2’s of a page, it superimposes the last (more or less) 3 lines of the first part with the first 3 of the second part, so one knows always when he/she stopped reading in the first page.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
millerjpmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Best,
Since I didn't have Acrobat 8 I went searching and found the following. Skim (free, http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/index.html) can crop pages but it the change is not exportable. PDFpen and PDFpenPro ($50-100, http://www.smileonmymac.com/PDFpenPro/) can crop the pages like Acrobat and make the file look slightly larger.

With respect to the viewing in landscape, about 4-5 lines are cut out when viewing this way, any ideas why?

jpm
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru

Strange. That I have never seen.

Tags
callibre, pdf conversion, scientific literature