Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I just ordered the Kindle 2 Oberon cover for my 950 as well, mainly due to your good experience. I got the Dragonfly Pond one in Fern. I can't wait to get it!!
The dragonfly design is lovely! No wonder you are excited!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration from everybody.

Rather than buying an Oberon to modify, I decided to do a different classic. I picked up a medium Moleskine sketchbook and I am in the process of 'booksafing' it to use as a case.

It seems to be the perfect size and has the strap to keep it closed. I am even using the back pages as an anchor for the reader rather than the back cover so I can keep the rear pocket available as well.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I found a USA site to order the magnets from: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

They sell them in SAE sizes, so, 1/8" instead of 3mm. I ordered a 3/16" length, and some 1/4" and 3/8" discs to perhaps use instead of the buttons - I figure that would give an advantage when trying to glue things together, because it will hold them stable until they dry. OTOH, the buttons you used are pretty and look well with the cover. While I wait for the magnets to be delivered, I will also see what buttons I can find, and make a decision whether to use buttons or magnets when the time comes to put it all together.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
Ardjan
Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
They sell them in SAE sizes, so, 1/8" instead of 3mm.
I think that should also fit, it might even be a bit better than 3mm since it should give a tighter fit. As long as they are not too thick it should be fine.

Quote:
I ordered a 3/16" length, and some 1/4" and 3/8" discs to perhaps use instead of the buttons - I figure that would give an advantage when trying to glue things together, because it will hold them stable until they dry.
I think the 3/16" length should also work just fine. A bit shorter than the 6mm rods I used, but this is actually a better length. I also thought about using disc magnets instead of the buttons, but I was concerned that the disc magnets at the side of the reader would stick out and get pulled towards metal objects, thereby "unclasping" the reader from the cover. The size on the other hand is probably better than the buttons I used, mine are a bit on the large side which means that the cover can push them out of the reader a bit, but still after using this cover extensively on holiday for the last week I still feel the reader is held secure.

Quote:
OTOH, the buttons you used are pretty and look well with the cover. While I wait for the magnets to be delivered, I will also see what buttons I can find, and make a decision whether to use buttons or magnets when the time comes to put it all together.
The image below shows the buttons I used. I cut of the small loop and used a dremel to make the backside flat. I hope you can find some nice ones as well. You could also combine the button and disc magnet idea by glueing the button to the disc magnet. As long as they are the same size this should look fine as well.
Ardjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Well, they arrived, and the 1/8" is just a hair too large to fit. But the disc magnets are super spiffy for the corners, so it's still a nice improvement. I don't think I'm going to try ordering different magnets; it's too much trouble and my case is pretty nice as it is.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #21
Ardjan
Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Well, they arrived, and the 1/8" is just a hair too large to fit. But the disc magnets are super spiffy for the corners, so it's still a nice improvement. I don't think I'm going to try ordering different magnets; it's too much trouble and my case is pretty nice as it is.
That is too bad, and quite surprising actually. Since 1/8" is only 0.175mm bigger than the 3mm magnets I have. Did you order only 2 of those magnets or do you have more. If you have more you might want to try them all, these magnets are known to have a rather large variation in size, so you just might have one that fits.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Hey, Ardjan, one of your pics looks like there is a flap extension on the back cover - sticks out to the right of the reader. Is that part of the journal, or something you added, or is my sight REALLY going bad?

Brilliant ideas here, from all of you.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #23
Ardjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
Hey, Ardjan, one of your pics looks like there is a flap extension on the back cover - sticks out to the right of the reader. Is that part of the journal, or something you added, or is my sight REALLY going bad?

Brilliant ideas here, from all of you.
You are right, there is a flap extension which you can see in this picture:

This is part of the felt inlay I use to protect the reader. I left an extra part of a couple of centimetres to wrap around the edge of the reader when you close it. You can see the way this closes in this picture:

This way the entire side of the reader is covered with felt when closed, preventing the reader from slipping out (which it doesn't do any way, but better safe then sorry). Also the magnets don't touch the reader this way, preventing the magnets from scratching the reader.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #24
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Very cool cover, Ardjan, wish I was that skilled. Looks great, secure and protective - and what more could you want?
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
This looks amazing. I love the details. I think I'm going to try something very similar but using rivet nails as a fastener instead of gluing magnets to a button. I'll post pics/specs when/if I get it done.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #26
Ardjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgloves View Post
This looks amazing. I love the details. I think I'm going to try something very similar but using rivet nails as a fastener instead of gluing magnets to a button. I'll post pics/specs when/if I get it done.
I'm curious to see what you are planning, especially how you will use the rivet nails instead of the magnets. Using rivet nails sounds like a bit more permanent way to attach your cover to your reader , but I probably just don't understand what you're planning. Anyway, good luck with your cover.