Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Nickz89
Nickz89 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
do you see this too?

Hello everybody,

I've just purchased a brand-new Sony PRS-650 in substitution of my K3 because I was concerned with the ePub uncompatibility.

I have to admit the touchscreen is wonderful, but still something bothers me: the PRS seems to have much more ghosting effect than the K3.

Here are some samples of what I mean:
- When I turn pages I can see a very slight white ghost image of the prev page on blank spaces
- Everytime I get to see a grey book cover, the grey makes contrast with the previous page elements, which are showned as a white ghost image
- The same thing happens everytime I press the reflow button: the reflow bar appears and, in the green layout, I can see the words which were below before I pressed as a white ghost image.
This seems to happen everytime something grey appears on the screen, making contrast with the ghost image.

Do you see this too? Is it an issue of my screen? This is the 2nd PRS I get, because when I saw this "problem" I brought back the 1st one to the store and then got another one - the one I own now - which has pretty much the same behaviour. Maybe the store got a bunch of defective units?

Last edited by Nickz89; 01-01-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Nickz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
zogzog
zogzog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
yop,
I saw it once or twice on my 350, strange each time it came back to normal after a full reboot... ??

Zog²
zogzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
I'm new to the 650 as of Christmas, but haven't noticed any ghosting at all.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
All e-ink screens can have ghosting. On Kindles alt+g refreshes the screen to remove the ghosting. So far, only a restart seems to clear it on my 650. I'm not sure of the process on other readers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
My ghosting only happens when the previous page had a lot of darker text or a picture. 1-2 page turns is what it normally takes for the ghosting to go away.

I have heard that others may require a full shutdown and restart to fix some ghosting issues.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I haven't seen any ghosting.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You might find this thread interesting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=ghosting
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Doreen:

It mostly shows up if there's any sort of gray, or black, background, such as mp3 album cover art, or PDF books with those gray margins, etc. No biggie to me.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Nickz89
Nickz89 began at the beginning.

Here are some pics I took to explain what I mean:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5174/dscn1357g.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2830/dscn1358w.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4489/dscn1365q.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5560/dscn1370d.jpg
Nickz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Nickz89

Some ghosting is ok, but what you've shown is too harsh, it's not normal.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with kartu--the ghosting your experiencing seems to be extreme. If you haven't already, I recommend trying a hard reset and see if that clears it up. If not, I think it's time for a talk with Sony about a replacement unit.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

I agree, it's not normal. The only time I see so much ghosting on my 650 is when I try to use it when it's very cold (as in sub-freezing temperatures, coming out of my bicycle bag), but at room temperature, yours shouldn't do that.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One

My PRS950 has slightly less ghosting... but not much less.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've never seen anything like that on my 350.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #15
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Don't tell me that Amazon gets the best screens from the screen manufacturer, while Sony gets the tail end of the business in terms of quality.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote