Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Recommendations for a Sookie Stackhouse fan

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by C. Harris and have read all the books. I am looking for similar books to read. Please share your recommendations.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My wife is reading the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

and;

Riley Jensen series by Keri Arthur
Allie Beckstrom by Devon Monk

She has a few more series to read yet but those above are her current recommendations.

Good luck

Mike
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Check out the Literature Map here http://www.literature-map.com/

You type in the author's name, hit Enter and a chart appears with that author's name in the center with similar author's arrayed around him/her. The closer the author, the more like the author whose name you enetered.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
You might enjoy the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs or the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. They're both pretty good.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Check out the Literature Map here http://www.literature-map.com/

You type in the author's name, hit Enter and a chart appears with that author's name in the center with similar author's arrayed around him/her. The closer the author, the more like the author whose name you enetered.
I like the Literature Map. It is very entertaining, if sometimes a bit bizarre. I tried Douglas Adams and the closest was Anne Rice! OK! Usually worth trying.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL

Love Anne Rice, as well. Thanks for the suggestions, Looks like a fun reading summer ahead.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
Imogen, you might like Mary Jane Davidson's Undead Series & or Julie Kenner's Demon- Hunting Soccer Mom Series

I almost forgot Tanya Huff's Vicky Nelson Private I. mysteries, which features Vampire Henry.

How 'bout a Steampunk mystery series? Gail Garringer's Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) a new one just came out in this series in fact.

Last edited by beespeckled; 05-11-2010 at 03:28 AM.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison come to mind, with whimsical supernatural romance (lighter on the romance than many others).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
ImogenRose
PORTAL

Thank you so much for the recommendations. Beespeckled, I checked those out... fantastic!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) has 2 books: "Cats Claw" and "Deaths Daughter". Not Sookie Stackhouse but OK.

I second the recommendation for MaryJanice Davidson - A girl who does not want to be dead becomes a vampire. Everyone else is serious - and she worries about shoes.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
ImogenRose
PORTAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) has 2 books: "Cats Claw" and "Deaths Daughter". Not Sookie Stackhouse but OK.

I second the recommendation for MaryJanice Davidson - A girl who does not want to be dead becomes a vampire. Everyone else is serious - and she worries about shoes.
Sounds perfect!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I thought of a few more recommendations I would pass along:

Raymond Feist - Has a series of books that start with "Magician: Apprentice". Not as light-hearted as Sookie Stackhouse, but characters that are interesting and grow organically.

Simon R Green - Has a series of darker fantasy books called the Nightside series.

Oh - how could I forget:

Glen Cook has a series of books called the Garret PI series starting with "Sweet Silver Blues". Take Tolken, mix with sam-spade detective novels and you get the idea. Try the first one and see if you like the tone.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
ImogenRose
PORTAL

Thanks, FatDog!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Since you seem interested in vampire stuff, I recommend the Saint-Germain chronicles by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Dunno if any are in ebook, and I haven't bought any new ones in recent years, but like any author she tries to make her vampires different. And this one formed the basis for a character in a personal D&D game for years...

The book by that title is an anthology, but most other titles are longer novels. They're spread through history, so Yarbro has fun finding historical situations to stick Saint Germain into.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote