Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
34zz
34zz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cover Image in Calibre

Hi I have been trying to convert my Word Docx to Mobi. Everything works fine except there's an image on page four and that image becomes the default cover.

As this will be uploaded in Kindle and I Already have a cover to be uploaded how do I stop any document from becoming the default cover.

Simply put I just want book to start where the Title page begins.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
34zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under the DOCX Input section of the conversion dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 AM   #3
34zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look under the DOCX Input section of the conversion dialog
Hi kovidgoyal,

Thanks for your reply, could you be a little more specific?

So I up loaded my word docx then went to>preferences>conversion Input options> DOCX> clicked Do not detect auto cover...

Then when I go to convert to mobi, the Image is their inthe Book Cover box....
SO I converted it any anyway and click View and the image that I don't want is where I don't want it.

Any other other ideas, Cheers
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look under the DOCX Input section of the conversion dialog not in Preferences->input options
Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
34zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look under the DOCX Input section of the conversion dialog not in Preferences->input options
Hey kovigoyal,

I opened conversion dialogue, clicked docx input and "do not auto detect a cover" is clicked I converted and then previewed and there the image was again. Am I missing something?
I appreciate you assistance,
Cheers
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you set that option then the conversion will not remove any images and make them the cover. Any cover you see will be the cover set in the calibre library.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 AM   #7
34zz

Could you be a little more line by line specific?
I'm not getting the result I want and at wits end.
Cheers
Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

With the option off:

Any large image near the start of the document is assumed to be a cover and extracted from the document

With the option on:

No image is extracted

With or without the option, the cover the output document has will be the cover specified for the book record in calibre, unless you do not set a cover in calibre, in which case the cover will be the large image in the first case and nothing in the second case.

I dont know how I can be clearer than that.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #9
34zz

I understand your reply but the option is on yet the image still shows up in conversion dialogue. See the problem?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope, I do not. What image in the conversion dialog? What has images in the conversion dialog got to do with anything?

I assume you mean the conversion output. And I already told you why you get a cover in the conversion output even with that option on. Once again, if you dont want a cover:

1) Delete the cover in calibre via the edit metadata dialog
2) Turn on that option in the conversion dialog

And that's it for me in this thread, I really cant spend more time repeating myself. If you want more help, follow the instructions in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@34zz,

What might not be entirely intuitive to someone who is not familiar with calibre, is that all metadata, including cover images, comes from the metadata associated with the book record, not the file.

Setting that option will prevent calibre from treating the image in the DOCX as a cover... which means it will be converted as part of the actual text flow.
Not setting that option will mean the image is considered the cover... which means it will be converted into the coverpage, and marked as such in the <guide>.

Either way, the cover will then be added or overwritten from the cover in calibre's Book Details.

In order to determine if your conversion has come out the way you want it to, you must check the converted EPUB, not the conversion dialog.

Additionally, Amazon's publishing workflow doesn't like dual-MOBI's converted by anything other than their own, official Kindlegen/Kindle Previewer. The recommended way to convert your book is to use calibre to create an EPUB that you like, and then convert that using Kindlegen.
The Kindlegen-converted ebook can then be uploaded to KDP.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:28 AM   #12
34zz

Thanks eschwartz, I'll give your reccomendation a go when I'm back.
Another question...Does calibre allow you to change a file multiple times or do you have to delete it after a failed attempt? If so, do you have to delete the docx as well and start all over?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34zz View Post
Thanks eschwartz, I'll give your reccomendation a go when I'm back.
Another question...Does calibre allow you to change a file multiple times or do you have to delete it after a failed attempt? If so, do you have to delete the docx as well and start all over?

Thanks in advance.
You can update (replace) any book format in a calibre Library metadata detail. This way leaves the calibre metadata intact
You can drag and drop the fresher format into the Details pane (for the correct book ) or use the Add Book Icon IN THE METADATA EDITOR.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:10 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The DOCX will not be modified during a conversion -- only the "to" format is affected*.
And re-converting from DOCX ==> EPUB will remove the EPUB and create a new one.

So yes, just redo the conversion until you get it right.

* -- if you convert from a format back to the same format, a backup ORIGINAL_FMT is created with the pre-conversion file contents.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-30-2015 at 02:13 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #15
34zz

Hey eschwartz & theducks,
Thanks so much for your instructions.
I'm away for a week and will follow your notes within five minutes of returning and let you know. Much appreciated.