Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Mini-review of sorts...

Hi,

I recently bought the Cybook Gen3 and wanted to share some of my thoughts, since reading on these forums really helped make my decision. Think of it as a way to say 'Thank you'

First off, I'm very happy with the device. I used to read on a Palm handheld a few years ago, and the Cybook combines the flexibility of ebooks with the readability of dead trees.
I mainly bought the device for reading scientific and/or technical PDF documents and was pretty ancious to see the PDF support on the Cybook. While it's true that reading in portrait orientation is pretty uncomfortable, but still (barely) possible, I found that reading in landscape mode and flipping the page is very comfortable, not only in text size, but in holding the device as well (try it!). For other reading, I use the Mobipocket Creator offered on their website to convert the documents, though I've only tried a few Project Gutenberg-texts so far.
Connecting the Cybook to a PC works great, and I've had no problems so far with the 2 GB Kingston-Card I'm using. Also, first order of business after unpacking was slapping Times New Roman on the device, and it just worked the way it should. It's a kind of no-questions-asked, down-to-the-minimal device I really like.
I got the leather cover for the device, and, although it obviously isn't leather, I think it's a nice addition. I use it for protecting the Cybook while I'm on the road, and for that, it's great. Snug fit and the device is still usable.
As for my wishlist, there's nothing really high priority. Organizing the library in folders would be nice, but I can do without. There should be more PDF zoom options, if only to take a closer look at the occasional figure or the sub-/superscript in mathematical formulas. And at last, from the would-be-nice-but-I-can-do-without is support for 'ZIP books': some image files (numbered or whatever) in a ZIP file, to be read like a book. Imagine reading some graphic novels on the Cybook...

Sorry about the long post, but maybe it will help people deciding. At least the way I see it, the more mainstream ebooks and readers become, the better for all users.

Greetings,
Manichean
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've just bought a Cybook too and am getting the feel of it. I downloaded the mobipocket software but, connecting the Cybook to my PC (Windows XP) all I saw on the Cybook was "Connected...". I don't know if the Mobipocket software should be transferred to the Cybook. In any case, I waited for at least 20 secs and nothing happened.
I opened a pdf file to transfer it to the Cybook. Afterwards on my PC I saw folders apparently on the Cybook - but where are these on the Cybook? I've read on this forum that there aren't folders on the Cybook, so presumably all files are in the Library - yet my pdf file wasn't there. Ah well, it's early days yet....
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
slussen2
Enthusiast

BTW, how do you update information in your profile? I've never owned a HanLin but do own a Cybook now.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by slussen2 View Post
BTW, how do you update information in your profile? I've never owned a HanLin but do own a Cybook now.
At the top of your page, you should see "User CP" in the blue line. Click there and you can edit your profile, as well as other things.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
slussen2
Enthusiast

Thanks Slayda.
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I've just bought a Cybook too and am getting the feel of it. I downloaded the mobipocket software but, connecting the Cybook to my PC (Windows XP) all I saw on the Cybook was "Connected...". I don't know if the Mobipocket software should be transferred to the Cybook. In any case, I waited for at least 20 secs and nothing happened.
The Cybook should register as two removable drives, one for internal memory, the other for the SD-Card. I don't know how syncing with the Mobipocket-Software works, because I use it only to create mobi-books, but you only need to install it on your computer. I'm pretty sure it can't be installed on the Cybook, by the way.

Quote:
I opened a pdf file to transfer it to the Cybook. Afterwards on my PC I saw folders apparently on the Cybook - but where are these on the Cybook? I've read on this forum that there aren't folders on the Cybook, so presumably all files are in the Library - yet my pdf file wasn't there. Ah well, it's early days yet....
On the drives mentioned above, there should be a folder named 'eBooks'. Just dump your PDF in there, works for me.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
At the top of your page, you should see "User CP" in the blue line. Click there and you can edit your profile, as well as other things.
and please put in your location. People here live all over the world and it is much easier to answer questions or understand discussions if everyone understands where you live. If you are uncomfortable indicated your city at least indicate your country.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
slussen2
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help and advice all. Yesterday I successfully used Mobipocket Reader to load a pdf file onto my Cybook. But you should be able to load files onto the Cybook without the Reader's help, no?
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to an interesting reading experience.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for your help and advice all. Yesterday I successfully used Mobipocket Reader to load a pdf file onto my Cybook. But you should be able to load files onto the Cybook without the Reader's help, no?
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to an interesting reading experience.
You can attach your eBook Reader to your computer and the memory on the device will be attached as a disk drive. you can then drag the files across. It is also possible to just remove the memory card from your cyBook and then plug it into a card reader on your computer and copy the files over by dragging to the card. No conversions will be done using these techniques unlike what happens when you use the PC version of Mobipocket.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Slussen2

By your description, what you have now in your Cybook is a Mobipocket version of the PDF file you had - this is what the Mobipocket Reader with “putting” of a PDF file in the reader, it converts it into a PRC (Mobipocket) file.

You can check this by activating the viewing of the book format in the library view of the Cybook, and see if it does not “say” PRC in the book image.

To get the plain PDF in the reader, use the process DaleDe explains above.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote