Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Ereaders-Ebooks
eBooksReader.com
Ereaders-Ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX 60
ONYX BOOX 60 new 1.2.2 firmware

Hi Folks
We are http://www.EbooksReader.com U.S. distributor of ONYX INTERNATIONAL and we've just got new e-reader firmware version 1.2.2 dated 03082010 . It can be downloaded by this link from our web site dedicated to ONYX BOOX. Onyx promised to release new 1.3 version in 2 weeks. We shall keep you informed on the progress.
Ereaders-Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
LenzGr
Enthusiast
LenzGr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Awesome, I'll take a look at it right away (currently running 1.2.2 20100120). Too bad that they don't post these updates on their official sites...
LenzGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it's still not "official" the next official update is 1.3 coming soon.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
LenzGr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it's still not "official" the next official update is 1.3 coming soon.
If it's not an official firmware, why are devices being shipped with it? How much more "official" must it get?

If Onyx sends the firmware to device distributors, it will end up in the hands of their (new) users/customers. Why don't they allow existing users to benefit from these new releases as well?

I find it quite ridiculous that I have to learn about such useful improvements via 3rd party Forums...
Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzGr View Post
If it's not an official firmware, why are devices being shipped with it? How much more "official" must it get?

If Onyx sends the firmware to device distributors, it will end up in the hands of their (new) users/customers. Why don't they allow existing users to benefit from these new releases as well?

I find it quite ridiculous that I have to learn about such useful improvements via 3rd party Forums...
It's usually because we have a complaint from one of our larger customers about a bug. So naturally, we make it into a priority to fix those specific bugs and we send the firmware directly to that customer and only that customer. However, somehow it always seem to leak out.

Remember, we want version 1.5 to be as perfect as possible. And releasing every little fix as a new firmware gets tedious.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
LenzGr
Enthusiast

Hi Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
It's usually because we have a complaint from one of our larger customers about a bug. So naturally, we make it into a priority to fix those specific bugs and we send the firmware directly to that customer and only that customer. However, somehow it always seem to leak out.
This is (to my knowledge) the third time a new firmware version has appeared from somewhere without any update or official statement on your website. It simply does not shed a good light on Onyx, if you treat regular customers who already purchased a device as second class citizens. Are they supposed to be stuck with the firmware version they received as part of the package, while "bigger" customers enjoy premium treatment?

Since you've made a new firmware release for that customer anyway, why don't you just publish it on your website as well? Heck, even put some red warning signs on the page that these releases are unsupported interim releases, if it would make you feel more comfortable.

One of my reasons for choosing the Boox was the outlook of having access to frequent firmware updates. I'd prefer to get notified about new versions by Onyx, not some random fan forum.

Quote:
Remember, we want version 1.5 to be as perfect as possible. And releasing every little fix as a new firmware gets tedious.
In the Open Source World, there is a mantra called "release early, release often". Smaller, incremental changes are usually better than having long periods with no updates at all, followed by a "big bang". You get much faster turnaround times and more direct feedback this way.

Please take a look at your own "Bug reports and feature requests" - there is lots of useful feedback from your users, but not much activity from your developers. A proper bug/feature tracking system would be a very useful addition to your site.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzGr View Post
Heck, even put some red warning signs on the page that these releases are unsupported interim releases, if it would make you feel more comfortable.
I don't think that would look good on Onyx either. Then people would ask 'why do you post them if you don't support them'.

But on the other hand I like frequent updates too. It shows that the company stands behind their product.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
Ereaders-Ebooks
eBooksReader.com
Ereaders-Ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX 60
Hi
Frankly speaking I do not understand the difference between official and not-official versions... You mean that if the firmware is not published at ONYX site, then it is not supported? I do not think so. We got it from Onyx International headquarters in China to be released to all people who buy ONYX BOOX 60 in United States and other countries. So we shared it with everybody, not only with our clients. It is true that Onyx policy is to release only seriously upgraded firmware versions as 1.1. then 1.2 then 1.3 then 1.5 and so on. It is true that they are a little slow and not so attentive to users' claims about bugs. When I learnt about Russian version 1.2.2 I asked them to delete Russian as default language and Russian sites pre-installed in the web-browser and release the same for English speaking users. They did so in 2 days. To be fair I also must say that I myself pointed out to them several bugs with FB2 format and they were solved in 1.2. If we compare BOOX 6 months ago with current edition, the difference is significant. I hope that when we see 1.3 and 1.5 versions, everyone will be glad. It's not much time to wait!
Ereaders-Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
LenzGr
Enthusiast

FWIW, this firmware version (v1.3 20100308) has now been posted on the Onyx Support Website as well. Excellent!

Tags
boox firmware, e-reader, onyx boox 60