Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

The book is filled with interesting word-visuals. Consider this virtual picture to help us understand our place in the chain of life:

“Suppose your father or mother—let’s say father for the sake of definiteness—walked into this room at the ordinary human pace of walking. And suppose just behind him was his father. And just behind him was his father. How long would we have to wait before the ancestor who enters the now-open door is a creature who normally walked on all fours? The answer is a week.”
That's not very long is it? We are such children, no wonder there is so much for us to learn.

as above I started reading "The Demon-Haunted World" I think I must follow it shortly with this one.

Thanks Tom!

Ooooh! ooooh! I like this too:

In fact, there is the remark that is sometimes made about Buddhism, I think in a kindly light, that their god is so great he doesn’t even have to exist. And that is the perfect counterpoise to the ontological argument.

— Carl Sagan

Followup: Bought it, stripped it, added it to Calibre and my readers, lined it up in the to reads...

Last edited by kennyc; 02-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #77
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This is not a book on science, nor evolution proper, yet I feel it may be of interest to readers of this forum.
The Evolution of God by Robert Wright
Thanks. Just downloaded it from the library.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Be sure and drop a line or two about your opinion of the book!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #79
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

I'm a couple of chapters in, moving slow...
Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #80
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Has anybody read 13 Things that Don't Make Sense by Michael Brooks and, if so, what is your opinion?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #81
kennyc

Just saw this at the Sony Bookstore:

The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature
by Timothy Ferris

Anyone read it yet?

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/tim...00000000193124

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Libert...5886397&sr=8-2
Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #82
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Thanks for the find Kenny. I bought it from Sony and have just started reading it.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #83
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Thanks for the find Kenny. I bought it from Sony and have just started reading it.

Let us know what you think of it...
Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #84
digitaldolf
digitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony touch PRS-600
I have read the Dawkins book "the greatest show" on earth in the paper version and loved it. He has a nice, clear style of writing. I can really recommend this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Based on another recent thread about a certain politician, I'm motivated to start one on recent(ish) valuable popular-audience science books that are available as ebooks. Given that the discoveries of evolution and deep time are fundamental cornerstones of modern biological and geological sciences, learning about the history of life on Earth and how that history is unraveled is amongst the most important areas of human knowledge-- and some of the least understood by the lay public. So here are a few useful books for anyone with a thirst for learning. (There are plenty of other titles I have skipped because I didn't find an "official" ebook version of them.)

A great start would be the recent books Your Inner Fish

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Inner-Fis...dp/0307277453/

Only A Theory

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Theory-Ev...dp/B001KVZ6RU/

and Why Evolution Is True

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-...dp/0670020532/

And I'll go out on a limb and mention Dawkin's most recent book, even though I haven't read it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Show-...dp/1416594787/

Then for the discovery of deep time itself, there is the great book The Map That Changed The World

http://www.amazon.com/Map-That-Chang...dp/0060193611/

along with a book on James Hutton (I haven't read this particular book-- the one I wanted to recommend doesn't have an ebook version)

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Found-...dp/B0009SRZDI/

Other good science book recommendations (no matter what the field) encouraged.
digitaldolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #85
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldolf View Post
I have read the Dawkins book "the greatest show" on earth in the paper version and loved it. He has a nice, clear style of writing. I can really recommend this book.
I have it in paper as well. I love his writing.

My selfish genes approve.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #86
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I can recommend Quantum Physics Cannot Hurt You by Marcus Chown and Science: A History by John Gribbin Does anyone know anywhere where Jim Al-Khalili's books are available in eBook format?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #87
kennyc

I'm about 1/3 of the way through "The Trouble with Physics..." by Lee Smolins.

Loving it!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #88
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I just looked up the description of "The Evolution of God" and it sounds very interesting. It reminds me a lot of "Sophie's World" which covers similar material from a philosophical perspective.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #89
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
If I may ask, which is the better version to read, A Brief History of Time or A Briefer History of Time? I thought Brief would be better and more in-depth than Briefer but then someone had to point out that Briefer is longer than Brief!
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
If I may ask, which is the better version to read, A Brief History of Time or A Briefer History of Time? I thought Brief would be better and more in-depth than Briefer but then someone had to point out that Briefer is longer than Brief!
The longer Briefer version was a 2005 update by the author of his 1988 book.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote