Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
wilsoncpu
wilsoncpu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Question Change Kindle book cover graphic?

I have a Kindle book whose displayed cover art is just a bunch of dots. ("A Good Hanging", by Ian Rankin, FYI.) I'd like to - for no good reason, really - replace that graphic with one that I found at Amazon for that same book.

Is there any way to "edit" a Kindle book to change a graphic? If not, how about free .mobi books?

There's no real need for this, as I said, but I'm just curious.
wilsoncpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
What an odd thing to fixate on....

uhhhh sorry, just musing. I haven't any idea.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Calibre lets you specify any cover image you like. (Well, on non-DRM MOBI books anyway. I don't think you can modify an AZW file since it has DRM.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
wilsoncpu
wilsoncpu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Wink

Thanks for the info. Calibre sounds nifty (I'm new to the Kindle, so hadn't even heard of Calibre before), but I suspected editing an AZW file would not be feasible. Oh, well, it's good to know about Calibre. (As for why I'd "fixate" on this, what can I say, I just like my eye candy - iTunes cover art, etc.)
wilsoncpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Mobi2mobi (GUI) version allows you to edit the meta data in ebooks and add covers even if the book is dedrm'd. You need to download the book to your computer and change the extension on the book to .mobi (I know your computer gives you a warning about the book becoming unstable-but azw is mobi)

Then go to librarything.com and look up a book cover you like. Save the image on your computer. Open mobi2mobi (GUI) add the cover and save. Should work.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I have the same problem (desire?) as WilsonCPU. I have a jailbroken iPhone 3.1.2 and am using the Kindle for iPhone app. The books I buy from Amazon, whether or not I deDRM them through MobideDrm, have their covers show up or, if there is a problem, using Mobi2mobi, as Leep suggests, works. But books I converted to .mobi long ago (i.e., from .lit or html files), all seem to propogate in the Kindle iPhone app with the same cover as the most recently added book of the same kind (i.e., non-Amazon purchase). Moreover, if I try to fix the cover using mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi opens the cover, but then, upon pressing convert, the cover disappears and is not saved???

Any thoughts? I've used iFile to go into /var/mobile/applications/kindle/documents on my iphone, and there are two folders -- ebooks and LibraryCovers. Dropping a .mobi file into the ebooks folder works to put the book into the Kindle app (and allow me to open it), but the thumbnail is wrong. If I drop a .jpg of the cover into the LibraryCovers folders, however, nada.

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 03-21-2010 at 04:52 PM.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wish they would add this feature to the Kindle natively, so you can choose 1 or more covers associated to a book. When the Kindle is color it would look very cool to havea 'virtual bookshelf' with all of the covers.

There are as many as 15-20 covers out there for some books, from the various publishers over the years. For example checkout the Stephen King carrie covers found on a quick google search: http://images.google.com/images?um=1...0&social=false

Would love to be able to pick a few favorites and rotate them.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote