Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
where to buy the sony 700

going on past experiance where will most likely be the cheapest place to buy the 700 model?
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Going on past experience, it will cost the same wherever you buy it...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony's pretty good (if that's the right term) about getting consistent pricing when their new models come out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
It even said on my 25% off coupon for Border's Educator's Appreciation Weekend earlier this month, (in fine print) that it couldn't be used on the Sony PRS.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
probably on the Sony website, they may offer deals if you sign up for their credit card as they did on the 505. I saved me $100 that way
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
ok sony shop then. Now would one be advised to pre-order to make sure you get one on day one?
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
on ebay you could get large distributors selling you with $25 off.. (predicted $375)
Newegg sells them the same price as in the sony store.

If you buy them straight from the sony store, you might get them the fastest though..
You can already pre-order them.

What's more, on the sony store you get a 100 classic books for free! ($399)

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-17-2008 at 05:14 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Don't get too excited about the 100 classics thing -- you can get most of those books right here at MobileRead, and generally they're formatted a good deal better.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Roamor
Roamor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
I asked Sony when the 700 would be available in the Netherlands, but they couldn't get more specific than "2009"....

Too late/uncertain for me. Can anyone recommend a online US store which will ship to the Netherlands?
Roamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
www.bhphotovideo.com -- they list the 700 but say it won't be available until mid-November. They do ship internationally.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #11
Roamor
Roamor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Thank you. It's great that these readers can be charged via USB, saves the worries of compliant power-adapters.

Last edited by Roamor; 10-21-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Roamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Any power adapter which charges a PSP (play station portable) will work with the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Sony's pretty good (if that's the right term) about getting consistent pricing when their new models come out.
In the United States in the olden days -- about 5 years or so ago -- a manufacturer could "suggest" a retail price but could not require retailers to sell at that price. That was because of trade legislation and a US Supreme Court decision from the 1960s (I think that is when -- it's been too long since I practiced law for me to remember accurately, plus I have gotten much more senile as I have gotten older and older and older . . .). But with the advent of the Bush court, that has changed and manufacturers can now not only "suggest" the price but enforce the price.

From my causual observations of the retail market in the US, I would venture that Sony is probably the manufacturer most likely to do this. There is rarely any difference between the Sony MSRP (suggested price) and the retail price regardless of the store, and there is rarely much price difference between retail stores of Sony products.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
going on past experiance where will most likely be the cheapest place to buy the 700 model?
I got the 505 back for 40% off by going into the Sony Store at Pentagon City right after New Years. I'd like to tell you I'd carefully planned that but it was dumb luck. They had three 505's they'd used as window displays and were letting them go at $170 apiece.

Don't know if the same thing will happen again this year.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Any power adapter which charges a PSP (play station portable) will work with the reader.
You tried it before?
Seems interesting!
I still have my PSP adaptor laying around! Saves me some extra for chargers.
But even if,
I recently bought a digital camera,with mini-usb to usb connection; 5V,2000mah.
I bet it might work as well provided the Sony uses mini-usb.
Reason that I know is if the reader charges via USB, and my camera does as well,as long as the plug fits, the reader will charge..
Something to look out for in the 700 series (if they charge via USB or not).

So I'll have plenty of adaptors to choose from!

Worst case on a travel,I'll take the camera adaptor. It's smaller and lighter,and it (I presume) can charge both devices.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote