Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nerd Cave, V-2.0.0

As a supplemental development resource, the "Nerd Cave, V-2.0.0" is almost open for business.

I and the "Nerd Core" (sorry guys, no offense intended) have given my after-market, embedded Linux, development site a new face lift.

At this time, we are testing out the feature set that we would like to see working at the site.

The site is not open to the general public for registration, but anyone here who PM's me for the "Invitation Passcode" may register and enjoy joining in the test runs of the features.

Yes, Virginia, there is a "back story" here - - -

My home web-site (see my info block on left here) has been closed to new membership for nearly two years. It has been closed to new material addition (read-only site) for a year.

During conversation with Alex T. here about 3 months ago, he mentioned he would like to see an enhanced development section here at Mobileread.

I tried to give him my closed site at that time, but the impression I received from his replies was that the site package was a bit intimidating.
The TikiWiki site package does that to people (even the owner/operators of TW sites).

Recent trends here in the work being done on firmware and software development has been stretching the resource limits provided by a single forum with an on-site wiki.

Since I had an in-active, established, web-site for this specific purpose, it seemed only reasonable to supplement the resources of this forum with the existing, closed, development site.

The prior work was mostly MIPS based Media Players but the charter of the site specifically left it open to any Embedded Linux Device.

The "Nerd Core" and I have been busy, extending the infrastructure to include e-book readers.
Initially, just the Amazon products.

Browse the site here:
http://MiniModding.com

Much of the features of the site are hidden from non-members, so PM me for the "Invitation Passcode" and enjoy the members view of the site.

Many thanks are due the "Nerd Core" who are helping me with this effort, it probably could not have been done without their help.

For those that are just breaking into using a CMS site, this may help:
http://twbasics.tikiforsmarties.com/...i+for+Smarties

Last edited by knc1; 09-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Just a quick test of off-site linkage to a "Members Only" view of one feature:
http://minimodding.com/article6-New-Classified

Hmm...
Link shows the image and the teaser, but not the body.
Perhaps that is reasonable, will have to confer with the "Nerd Core" about that.

Now lets try the same test for a review article:
http://minimodding.com/article5-New-Review

Hmm...
Similar results.

Try the same for an event article:
http://minimodding.com/article7-New-Event

Hmm...
Similar results.

The above three items are test text with notes of things that need fixing about the Article Section of the site package.

Try this with a for-real, Article-article:
http://minimodding.com/article4-comp...the-3-3-Kernal

Which is correct.
This particular article only has an image in the header and no teaser text.

Translation:
Any of the four "Article Styles" can be directly linked to from Mobileread to show the header image and teaser text.
Which means a "HowTo" article written at the "Nerd Cave" can present its summary on Mobileread and be indexed by the Mobileread prefix index system.

Next test, a "Nerd Cave" forum topic which contains a Mobileread Wiki page in its first topic comment:
http://minimodding.com/tiki-view_for..._parentId=3501

Translation:
Works as intended.

= = = = =

Bottom line:
Yes Virginia, the MR developer forum can be supplimented by the information provided by the "Nerd Core" on MiniModding.com

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The beautiful squares...

\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//\\o//

Go Team Nerd, To The Herd Cave!
*Insert theme tune remix of batman on kazoo here*

Turning squares into...
Code:
                     /|\
                    / |)\
                   /  I( \
    ,._           /   I`) \
  /'\  `~.       /    | (  \
 /  _\    '.    /     | `)  \
/,-'  \     `. /      I  )   \/`-..
       \      /       |  )    \    `;-,.._
        \    /        I  )     \           ``-.._
         \  /         I.)'      \                ``"..
          \/          |J_,,..__.,\.,.__..,,._,,,._,,._`;-,..
           \     _,.;'
            \_,-'

Fly little nerdy, fly...

Spoiler:
0.51jb does not appear to be coping well with 3.4, I think the news of it's unbridled success may be premature. Some triage is outstanding.
Just saying

Last edited by twobob; 09-12-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: remix!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral

I told 'em it was there, I told 'em why it was there, I gave 'em examples.
Sorry about the 'Nerd' term, it came from a recent exchange in this forum.

This forum is a great interface between the developers and the end-users.
Let it stay on-purpose here.

I now think that my trying to extend this forum's purpose with all of the hard-core development stuff was "off topic" for this forum.
Better that the few dozen developers have a "back room" of their own to play in just as long as they don't lose their contact and inter-action with the end users here.

The nearly 200,000 Mobileread members here could hardly be concerned with "How" all of the things happen in that "back room" by the few dozen developers, just as long as they have easy access to the results and the inter-action with the development authors.

Have I made another mistake in judgement this time? I am not sure. Will just have to see how it works out.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Thanks people, its nice to have my baby back in operation for a purpose again.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This forum is a great interface between the developers and the end-users.
Let it stay on-purpose here.

I now think that my trying to extend this forum's purpose with all of the hard-core development stuff was "off topic" for this forum.
Better that the few dozen developers have a "back room" of their own to play in just as long as they don't lose their contact and inter-action with the end users here.
Are you saying that the "Kindle Developer's Corner" forum is not the "back room" for discussions between developers? I thought the forum title implies exactly that. General Kindle discussions are in the parent forum.

I do not think that the Developer's Corner is just a show room where we announce and support our final product. If it was, the forum title should be changed to the "Kindle Free Technical Support" forum.

However, it is nice to have another web site where we can discuss things a bit more freely, so thanks much for the alternative forum.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 10:53 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Are you saying the the "Kindle Developer's Corner" forum is not the "back room" for discussions between developers? I thought the forum title implies exactly that. General Kindle discussions are in the parent forum.

I do not think that the Developer's Corner is just a show room where we announce and support our final product. If it was, the forum title should be changed to the "Kindle Free Technical Support" forum...
I think he is saying that MR serves many masters.
The dev forum of course serves the purposes you describe.

HAPPY DAYS!!!! Choice is a good thing. I embrace it. plus sometimes it's nice to have somewhere to sit "In the shade"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I think he is saying that MR serves many masters.
The dev forum of course serves the purposes you describe.

HAPPY DAYS!!!! Choice is a good thing. I embrace it. plus sometimes it's nice to have somewhere to sit "In the shade"
"Too many cooks" (proverb)?

Alternative venues are good, but they can also fork a discussion just like cross-posting.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Are you saying that the "Kindle Developer's Corner" forum is not the "back room" for discussions between developers? I thought the forum title implies exactly that. General Kindle discussions are in the parent forum.
In title and partially in sub-title, certainly.
In practice, not so much.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
In title and partially in sub-title, certainly.
In practice, not so much.
It does seem like a LOT of the posts here are limited to requests for help and providing FREE technical assistance.

But it is the juicy technical details in various discussions between developers that I cherish most. With multiple "Kindle Developer" sites, you have to follow both threads on different sites to really know what is being discussed.

In the case of the Nook Simple Touch forum on MobileRead, it is mostly a "show room" (and support room) with offsite links to the REAL developer discussions at xda-developers. Is that what the "Kindle Developer's Corner" should become?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Heh, at least we have content & activity now, it was much, much quieter in the 'olden' days of the K2 .

Sure, you might argue that the SNR went up at the same time, but it's really not so bad at all . Nothing's perfect .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

I tried to be clear that I was not proposing a "brain drain" from Mobileread.

A good workman (tradesman) uses all the tools in their toolbox, not just the hatchet.
Which is not intended to mean that MobileRead is the "hatchet" of the analogy.

I don't prohibit non-developers from joining my site. At least I didn't when it was last open.
But it "looks and feels" so "nerdy" that few non-developers do join.

Since the site is not ad supported, I don't have to encourage the vast masses to visit and view/click ads. Some sites have gone so far in that direction that it is hard to find the content among the advertisements.

The hosting provider, Dreamhost, is an active supporter (and user) of open source software. They do more than just "talk green", they provide a monthly subsidy.
The rest is an "out-of-pocket" hobby expense for me (with a few donations over time).

Without the commercial pressures to "build membership numbers", "build site traffic" and/or "build search engine ratings" it is a relatively quiet corner of the Internet to do the things which only a relatively few people are interested in.

Ah, that brings me up to a nice round number of posts.

Well, since I blew right through 1800 - -

When I started that site, it used TW-v3, now it is using TW-v9 - -
Among the available features now - -

Too many "Help Me" posts?
This version supports membership subscriptions.
Let'm subscribe to a (closed, non-public) "Help Me" forum.
Currently disabled, as is the "Live Help" function.

Too many "Code this for me" posts?
Now have a working "Classified Ads" section.
Put up a "Code Wanted" classified ad.
Developers looking to do work for-hire, can track that section.
---
Not sure how to make that workable, but it is there.
It might have to be part of the 'by subscription' services.

Actually, any member can "watch" anything. That is what the "eyeball" icon means that you see on everything.

Last edited by knc1; 09-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
In the case of the Nook Simple Touch forum on MobileRead, it is mostly a "show room" (and support room) with offsite links to the REAL developer discussions at xda-developers. Is that what the "Kindle Developer's Corner" should become?
I can see no reason to change the "Charter Statements" on the "HomePage".

The site will be what it will become within the "Charter" described on the "HomePage".
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
geekmaster

What "charter statement"? I did not see anything that looked like that on the MobileRead.com home page. URL? Or quote?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
What "charter statement"? I did not see anything that looked like that on the MobileRead.com home page. URL? Or quote?
http://MiniModding.com/HomePage

Last edited by knc1; 09-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.