Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #121
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
uninstalled 0.0.2.0, installed 0.0.2.1, works ok now without crashing.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #122
roboreader
roboreader began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Same here. Thanks for all the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
uninstalled 0.0.2.0, installed 0.0.2.1, works ok now without crashing.
roboreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #123
jjjconnon
jjjconnon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was just able to load this application after the latest version was posted. I have looked at the user guide and have some questions:

1. The alphabet buttons on the left side (when books, etc. are selected go from A to J. How does one scroll/navigate to the rest of the aphabet?
2. In the current version (0.0.2.1 ) 1st 2 symbols at the the top of the page currently are not available. I believe this is because they are a "work in progress". What are they for and when might they be available?

Thanks again for a great app.
jjjconnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #124
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
If I can't solve the problem of FBreader opening the same book despite opening different books on the home screen, I might give this a try as I think the problem is due to the way the Sony Homescreen handles different file associations.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #125
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
And 0.0.2.1 works for me too! Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by dropping Calibre database support. I can still see all my Calibre tags - is that because the Calibre driver is also updating the Sony database too?

Great work! I've also voted on a couple of issues on your project google page too .

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #126
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

This works great for me- it completely fixed the infuriating problem I had with the default Sony Home app opening the same book in FBreader despite selecting different books in the default Sony home app- no matter which book I would select, opening with FBreader always opened with the same book that was initially opened at device start up (not wake up from standby). I suspected that the "hooks" from the default Sony home app weren't working right- and that appears to be the case because the Alternate homescreen app mrspaceman developed works like a charm on my T1 as far as opening different books in FBreader. This also appears to fix the same problem that was occuring in Coolreader as well. Only the official Sony Reader app worked well with the default Sony homescreen app.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #127
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by dropping Calibre database support. I can still see all my Calibre tags - is that because the Calibre driver is also updating the Sony database too?
What I have done is to remove all of the code that read in the calibre metadata (which is stored in a plain text file) and created a database file containing the calibre data.

Calibre does also put some data into the Sony databases, but the Sony databases don't have fields for the tags or series, which is why I would like to 'merge' the data from all the databases, but it's just too complex for now.
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 AM   #128
jacko5
jacko5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Has anyone come across a mod to show the clock time while reading a book ?
It was great to have that on my prs600 ( prs+ ).
jacko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #129
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
I'd love that as well !!!
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #130
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
What I have done is to remove all of the code that read in the calibre metadata (which is stored in a plain text file) and created a database file containing the calibre data.
I'm lazy.
Three quick questions:
- is the book list limited to Sony-detected and/or Calibre-transfered ebooks?
- do you only list epubs or do you track other formats?
- does the app allow "registering" specific folder locations to look for ebooks to be listed? Maybe DRM'ed ones?

What I'm thinking is that one of the key benefits of rooting is adding reading apps for Kindle and other formats, which tend to store/look for ebooks in different locations. It would be nice if the book list could aggregate all books (DRM-free and encumbered) and feed them to the appropriate app (by extension, I suppose).

Probably too complicated, given the T1's resources, right?
One can dream...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #131
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
The book & collection lists are limited to Sony detected books.

I may add in reading calibre metadata, but I'm beginning to think it's too much trouble)

I believe that the Sony software scans the storage space for all books (that it recognises) and adds them to it's databases. I haven't done any investigation into whether it looks in all folders or only the Sony_Reader ones.

Also, I don't know which formats it supports. I only use epub, and that works okay.
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #132
tayseidel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko5 View Post
Has anyone come across a mod to show the clock time while reading a book ?
It was great to have that on my prs600 ( prs+ ).
No but there are various ways to work around this. I loved this feature on my PRS-505 and it was one of the things I sorely missed when I got my new PRS-T1. So, what I did was-

1) Root the PRS-T1 using the minimal root package found at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks

2) Open books using the FBreader app-(or the coolreader app) just open a book as you normally would from the Sony Homescreen. You will be presented with the following choices a. Coolreader b. FBreader c. Reader (official sony reader app) FBreader and coolreader both have the ability to display the time in their titlebars

3) You can configure the specific nuances of the title bar in the settings/options section of the app. Coolreader and FBreader both offer the option to show the time in the title bar of their respective apps.

I find that I like FBreader better than coolreader because it seems to have better anti aliasing on the bold Droid Sans font. I like to read my books with a bolded font because the contrast is better. Bold fonts seem to be handled quite poorly in coolreader as the lack of anti aliasing seems evident.

If you run into problems with the Home app opening the same book in FBreader and coolreader despite selecting different books in the Home app, just use the alternate Homescreen app developed by Mrspaceman as this is what fixed the issue for me. That can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155911
Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #133
tayseidel
Zealot

I also wanted to add that I love the progress bar in lieu of a page counter in both of these apps. I have the progress bar in FBreader set to be black instead of the default grayish color it was set at upon rooting.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #134
jacko5
jacko5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
No but there are various ways to work around this. I loved this feature on my PRS-505 and it was one of the things I sorely missed when I got my new PRS-T1. So, what I did was-

1) Root the PRS-T1 using the minimal root package found at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks

2) Open books using the FBreader app-(or the coolreader app) just open a book as you normally would from the Sony Homescreen. You will be presented with the following choices a. Coolreader b. FBreader c. Reader (official sony reader app) FBreader and coolreader both have the ability to display the time in their titlebars

3) You can configure the specific nuances of the title bar in the settings/options section of the app. Coolreader and FBreader both offer the option to show the time in the title bar of their respective apps.

I find that I like FBreader better than coolreader because it seems to have better anti aliasing on the bold Droid Sans font. I like to read my books with a bolded font because the contrast is better. Bold fonts seem to be handled quite poorly in coolreader as the lack of anti aliasing seems evident.

If you run into problems with the Home app opening the same book in FBreader and coolreader despite selecting different books in the Home app, just use the alternate Homescreen app developed by Mrspaceman as this is what fixed the issue for me. That can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155911
Thanks for the info.
I did install the hack but i prefer the original sony firmware.
I think i will wait till a hack for the clock comes out.
jacko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #135
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Locating periodicals

Is there an easy way to find unread periodicals with SonyPrsT1Home?

After my morning sync-up, I couldn't find any simple way of locating a new periodical, and ended up using the Sony home screen.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote