Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Tene
Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Help with my Galaxy Tab

Hi! I'm new to forums (1st time) and not very tech-savy. I have Calibre on my Windows 7 computer. I am trying to transfer my e-books on the computer to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I have tried to follow all the directions in the FAQ and Calibre Help sections, but nothing seems to work. My Galaxy Tab does not show up as a "drive", but as itself (GT-P6210) so I was trying to connect via the Internet. But the Http://192.168.1.2:8080 says the page does not exist & cannot connect. Also, exactly where do I find the Calibre Content Server? I looked all over the Preferences but do not find anything that says "Content Server". Thanks for any help.
Tene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I am no Calibre expert (and my IT skills are very rusty) but until somebody more knowledgeable comes along...try this.

In Calibre
Preferences\Sharing over the net.
Configure and start the server.

And are you sure you are connecting to the right IP address?

Actually, you should probably post this in the Calibre section.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
There are a couple of ways to get your books from Calibre to your tablet via wireless transfer.

If you're reading epubs, the easiest way to get them into your tablet is to use an epub reading app like Aldiko, Mantano, Cool Reader, Moon+ or FB reader to directly get the books from Calibre through its content server. You can browse your entire Calibre library from within the app and pick and choose which book/s to download.

Setting it up within the app is fairly straightforward. For instance, if you're using Aldiko, to set up the Calibre content server:
1) Go to "store", hit the menu button and select "My Catalogs". Create a new catalog (hit the + sign next to my catalogs) and give it a name.
2) Insert this http://youripaddress:8080/opds in the URL dialog (your ip address should be something like 192.168.1.XX - you'll find it in your computer's network properties).
3) Turn on Calibre's content server, turn on your tablet's wifi, open Aldiko, tap on your newly created catalog and you should be able to see your entire calibre library and download them into your tablet one at a time.

If you don't want to go that route or you have many many books to transfer over at once, you can set your Calibre library folder in your computer as a shared folder and then download a file explorer app such as ES File Explorer from the android market and use it to upload the files from your computer.

Lastly, you can upload your books to dropbox and use either the dropbox app or ES File Explorer to grab them from the cloud as it were.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I realize now after re-reading your comment if you can't see your Calibre library through your tablet's browser via the content server, then most of what I wrote up there may not be relevant to you. Sorry!

Last edited by Eskarina; 04-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You may be using the wrong ip address... I use the server with Aldiko as explained by Eskarina on both my Samsung and Vox and get the same error message in a browser window when the wrong ip address is being used.
On your computer click on start, and then on run, type cmd. On the next window, type ipconfig. Your correct ip address for the Calibre server would be the one with "ip4" in the name.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
You can also load files to a memory card
on the PC then insert it into the Tablet.

Also if you have a server on your network you can use something like
"ES file explorer" and copy files from the server to your device.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
You can also load files to a memory card
on the PC then insert it into the Tablet.

Also if you have a server on your network you can use something like
"ES file explorer" and copy files from the server to your device.
On the 10.1 there is no card slot...does the 7" tablet have one?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
On the 10.1 there is no card slot...does the 7" tablet have one?
Yes I have the Galaxy Tab 2, I think there is an adapter that
will let you connect an SD card to the interface/charging jack.

Look Here
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard

Yes, I am aware that a dongle can be purchased for my 10.1 tablet but I haven't experienced the need to use an sd card with it... There's many ways of transferring files without plugging in or using a card.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Tene
Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.Tene can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Wow! So much help! I have never participated in a forum before, so imagine my surprise when I got home last night and found so many suggestions. Yes, I do have an adapter to plug in a USB memory card or an SD card--acutally, I bought it with the Tablet and forgot I had it And, yes, I think I was using the wrong IP address, although I "asked" the computer as you all have suggested and got the same IP address. However, I will do some more investigating on the IP address plus try all of your suggestions. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks so much for all your help!
Tene
Tene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Yes I have the Galaxy Tab 2, I think there is an adapter that
will let you connect an SD card to the interface/charging jack.

Look Here
Why pay $38 when you can get this one at $4.62?
http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Connection..._bxgy_pc_img_b
(If you absolutely need to transfer data with a card or usb drive)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Why pay $38 when you can get this one at $4.62?
http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Connection..._bxgy_pc_img_b
(If you absolutely need to transfer data with a card or usb drive)

interesting
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
You can also use this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

It's about $20 and it allows charging via a micro USB cord. I've got one in my bag for when I don't have my Samsung charger & cord.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use dropbox to transfer the files
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have my Calibre library in Google Drive, and the Google Drive app on my Kobo Vox. The whole thing is so easy! I also can use the Calibre server, but somehow, it seems easier to go to the drive app than to open the browser and hope the server is running.

Sometimes that seems to simply.not.work. When that happens, it is always because my ISP has reset my IP address. I have to go home, run CMD and then ipconfig to get the new one. Not usually a problem, well, except when it happens when I am on holiday.

Last edited by taming; 06-17-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
You will find "Content Server" under the Connect/Share Icon on the tool bar. From there you can start it up.
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote