Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Calibre + NYT download = inconsistent?

Hi all,

I have been using the NYT recipe in Calibre to download the full paper (I have a subscription). This is an awesome, amazing feature and I love it!

The thing is, about half the time the paper downloads, a portion of the articles are blank (usually in the Front Page section). Generally, if I re-download once or twice, this problem corrects itself and I get the full paper. I'm guessing this isn't a Calibre issue since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But has anyone else noticed this and tied it to anything specific? Is it the NYT server? Is it my internet connection? What could be causing this behavior and are there any tricks that will consistently overcome it?

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try looking at the download log to see what error messages are generated when you notice blank articles. That should give us a clue on the root cause.

You can get the log by clicking the rotating spinner in the ottom right corner.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
jsl21
jsl21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am having the same problem for the past few days with the NYT. If you look, the page actually says "This is an advertisement" so I am guessing what is happening is it goes to the website and an ad is being shown first before it shows the article. I am not sure how to edit the recipe to skip the ad which I would normally do on the website by clicking on skip the ad. Any ideas? By the way, sometimes you can find the actual articles from the front page in a different section, e.g., today, may 27th, the E Coli article I couldn't see when choosing it from the front page but it was in the Business section. Today I could find 3 out of the 5 that just said "this was an advertisement"
jsl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kovid. I will paste that log here next time it happens (of course, it was fine this morning). Jsl21 -- I don't get that "advertisement" message. It is just a blank page with the navigation links at top and article url at bottom. It's a good theory, though.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
jsl21

Kovid,

I still have the "This is an advertisement problem." I looked at the log and it seems to say that page downloaded without an error but I am not an expert so I cannot tell. I saved the log. Should I post it?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
JRG
JRG began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Thanks, Kovid. I will paste that log here next time it happens (of course, it was fine this morning). Jsl21 -- I don't get that "advertisement" message. It is just a blank page with the navigation links at top and article url at bottom. It's a good theory, though.
That's exactly what I get for most (maybe 75%) of the articles using the BBC recipe; I've pretty much abandoned BBC downloads for that reason. But the problem occurs rarely, if ever, using the NY Times recipe.
JRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The advertisement problem would need a workaround in the recipe, the log wont help with that. IIRC the recipe used to handle that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll ping GRiker the author of the recipe to take a look.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I noticed that BBC changed some things on their website hence the BBC Fast recipe was not working correctly.

Here is the updated version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bbc_fast.zip (1.2 KB, 180 views)
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
JRG
JRG began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
I noticed that BBC changed some things on their website hence the BBC Fast recipe was not working correctly.

Here is the updated version.
Thank you, very much!
JRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict

OK jsl21, you're exactly right. I had never noticed that text before, but on the blank pages it says "This is an advertisement" and "Skip this ad" (see attached).

But usually if I re-download, the problem is fixed. Like maybe the second download gets you past the ad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	52386  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've submitted a patch to Kovid for both versions of the NYTimes recipes (Headlines, full paper) which should properly bypass the ads.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
maxbookworm
Addict

Wow, you guys are amazing!

Thank you so so much for these programs. They are awesome!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
jsl21

Thanks GRiker!

maxbookworm - I also have found that rerunning it the same day will fetch a new copy without the "advertisement" problem. I guess the site remembers that you've already seen ads recently and doesn't force you to see them again
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
jsl21

GRiker,

Thanks for your help. I assume that your fixes to the NYT are in 0.6.55. Now it skips the first 4-5 articles on the front page (which I am guessing are the ones that come up with the "advertisement"). and they aren't downloaded at all. Was this what is supposed to happen?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@jsl21: I just downloaded today's paper, and I got every article listed in the index. Are you comparing to the same index at http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html?

I believe that the ads are being skipped correctly, so I'm guessing that the problem you're experiencing is something else. It could be that some articles are being updated at the time you're running the recipe, or something else causing a connection failure during the download of that article.

Take a look at the download log to see if there's any further information there.

I'll keep poking around. It's possible that I'm just not getting any ads at this time.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 05-31-2010 at 08:53 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote