Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #481
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Taming, one never knows how Canada Post works. I ordered on the first day as well.

I have tested the loading and the reading with the light. I had to reduce the brightness to about 55-60 percent, otherwise the screen is too bright.

Will have to experiment with the Shelves feature to see how that works.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #482
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I'm excited about this new Aura reader but I'm waiting to buy one on a local bookstore. Here in the US Kobo is the wholesaler for ebooks you buy through small local bookstores. The little independent places support readers in ways the giants do not. While no doubt they make money by selling through bookstores I still think it is an important thing Kobo does.

If you live in the US you can find member bookstores here:

http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store-finder

There is a link to Indiebound in the UK here:

http://www.indiebound.org.uk/
Has there been a statement saying the Auras will be for sale at independent bookstores? They don't show up on the "Where to buy page."
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #483
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just got a shipping notice. I ordered on the 18th.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #484
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just got a shipping notice. I ordered on the 18th.
I just got my shipping notices (2 of them, for some reason), after having ordered on the 15th, and after having been told during a Chat with a Kobo rep a few days ago that it was already shipped. Yet the tracking number from the email shows it just left Canada yesterday. (Bound for California.)

Methinks we are being toyed with, my friend
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #485
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
still nothing here (no shipping notice that is)...ordered the 16th...wish now I had just waited and ordered from an independent store in US
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #486
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
still nothing here (no shipping notice that is)...ordered the 16th...wish now I had just waited and ordered from an independent store in US
I'm beginning to wish that as well, though I'm not sure if any US stores have them yet, or when they will.

Just checked my tracking number again. It would appear that although it "arrived in a foreign country" (i.e., the US) early this morning, now (9.5 hrs later) it is back in Mississauga (Canada, where it started from) in the hands of Canada Post.

I guess somebody at one of those postal facilities didn't get the memo that sometimes "CA" means "California," and not "Canada," so now it's headed north again.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #487
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Has there been a statement saying the Auras will be for sale at independent bookstores? They don't show up on the "Where to buy page."
Nothing on the Kobo site. My local bookstore carries all the earlier versions of Kobo Readers and sells ebooks through the Kobo store, so I phoned them to see if they are going to carry the Auras. They said their national organization is negotiating with Kobo now and they hope to sell them soon.

Auntie's and Kobo have always been reliable so I tend to trust them.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #488
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Not sure about independent bookstores, but my wife was on the phone with Coles, and they said something to the effect that the bigger bookstores (!ndigo) would be getting stock before them. I'm thinking independents won't be getting much, if any Aura's.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #489
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
You might want to call Kobo. I ordered on the 16th as well, received a confirmation and cc pre-auth charge. No activity since. I called today, was put on hold for 27 minutes and learned they had "lost" my order.

It is my impression that they are completely fouled up.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #490
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You might want to call Kobo. I ordered on the 16th as well, received a confirmation and cc pre-auth charge. No activity since. I called today, was put on hold for 27 minutes and learned they had "lost" my order...
OMG!! So what are they/you doing now? (Your cc never got charged besides pre-authorization?) Are they going to fix this for you, or did you just become a never-again customer!?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #491
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it be a good idea to call Kobo to place the order instead of via the website?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #492
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
geez...between having it shipped back to Canada (Mikeyboards) and them losing the order (Skydog), I'm wondering if Kobo should have just stuck with dealing with the independent bookstores as far as the US goes. I had no trouble at all ordering my Kobo Mini that way.

I did finally get a reply back from my email telling me that my order was pending and pre-order meant first received, first shipped, which of course, is not true at all, since I ordered the 16th and people who ordered days later not only have had there's shipped but have actually received them. Of course, a lot of those people are in Canada.

Skydog.... Did you finally get it straighten out?

Good luck everyone... my last order with Kobo direct, that's for sure

Last edited by drew2720; 04-23-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: saw answer to my question after posting
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #493
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
I'm beginning to wish that as well, though I'm not sure if any US stores have them yet, or when they will.

Just checked my tracking number again. It would appear that although it "arrived in a foreign country" (i.e., the US) early this morning, now (9.5 hrs later) it is back in Mississauga (Canada, where it started from) in the hands of Canada Post.

I guess somebody at one of those postal facilities didn't get the memo that sometimes "CA" means "California," and not "Canada," so now it's headed north again.
I got my tracking number today also and it shows the same thing, that it left Canada a couple of days ago and then it is back in Canada today. But if you take your tracking number and put it in USPS.com it will show you where it actually is. Mine left IL today and hopefully I will receive it in a couple of days.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #494
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I got my tracking number today also and it shows the same thing, that it left Canada a couple of days ago and then it is back in Canada today. But if you take your tracking number and put it in USPS.com it will show you where it actually is. Mine left IL today and hopefully I will receive it in a couple of days.
Thanks for that info, Alism! That makes me a bit more optimistic
I had noticed earlier today that USPS recognizes my tracking number. But it seems to lag behind the Canada Post tracking. (The USPS info still only shows yesterday's info about being processed at a sorting facility in Toronto. But I trust I'll gain more useful info, as you did, if I wait a bit.)
Perhaps what took a return trip to Canada is a confirmation-of-transfer receipt back to the company, or something like that.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #495
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
For those who have the Kindle Paperwhite, are you buying the Aura HD?

I've read that the built-in light can be turned off completely (unlike the Paperwhite), is this true?
I ordered yesterday. The larger screen is intriguing to me...
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote