Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Organizing your library

Hello.

My Sony eReader has a simple organizational method - collections. Books on the device can be added to lists, making finding a book easier than browsing a list of all of the books on the device. I wish there were more options, nesting, that kind of thing, but the basic system works well enough.

I have been looking at the Kindle and the Kobo, but cannot find any information on their options - how does one organize their books on these systems? Do they also support lists/collections?

thanks,
Andrew
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
I have been looking at the Kindle and the Kobo, but cannot find any information on their options - how does one organize their books on these systems? Do they also support lists/collections?
The Kindle has collections which are fairly similar to Sony's.

AFAIK the only organization the new Kobo has is that you can tag a book as a favorite and have it show up on a favorites list, but I don't have one so I'm not 100% sure of that.

For me the best organization I've had on a reader is on the Opus (AFAIK all readers from Bookeen can be organized the same way) where you can have actual folders with subfolders and the device can browse the actual folder structure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle uses Collections. You can build your own collections and place books in multiple colelctions. It does not allow for sub collections, which is kind of a bummer.

That said, life is a lot easier with the collections then without.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Kindle uses Collections. You can build your own collections and place books in multiple colelctions. It does not allow for sub collections, which is kind of a bummer.

That said, life is a lot easier with the collections then without.
If I had to chose between collections and folders, I'd go for folders. Unless you could make sub-collections. Now, if I want to see all books by a certain author, I need to create a collection per author. But I also want to see all books in a series, so I need a collection per series. That means I have almost too many collections to be of use...

Oh, and seeing all books in a series by a certain author isn't even possible...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If I had to chose between collections and folders, I'd go for folders. Unless you could make sub-collections. Now, if I want to see all books by a certain author, I need to create a collection per author. But I also want to see all books in a series, so I need a collection per series. That means I have almost too many collections to be of use...

Oh, and seeing all books in a series by a certain author isn't even possible...
There are pros and cons, as with so many things in life .

The benefits of folders is that they can be nested.

The benefit of collections (which are really tags, of course) is that you can apply multiple tags to the same file without having to have multiple copies of the same book on the device. Eg, you can tag a book by its author, by its genre, and so on. I might tag Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel" with "Asimov, Isaac", "Mystery", and "SF", for example, and then it would show up in all three collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
outlander78
Zealot

Exactly. In Calibre, I have books organized in series, and misc books tagged into groups for all kinds of reasons including author, genre and subseries. At this point, not supporting collections would be a deal-breaker for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
Hello.

My Sony eReader has a simple organizational method - collections. Books on the device can be added to lists, making finding a book easier than browsing a list of all of the books on the device. I wish there were more options, nesting, that kind of thing, but the basic system works well enough.

thanks,
Andrew
I've grown to really like the collections, but if you prefer folders, you can install PRS+ on your Sony reader. Among other things, it allows you to browse by folders.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
outlander78
Zealot

Thanks, Polly. I really like the collections too, and I'm too afraid to try PRS+.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The benefit of collections (which are really tags, of course) is that you can apply multiple tags to the same file without having to have multiple copies of the same book on the device. Eg, you can tag a book by its author, by its genre, and so on. I might tag Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel" with "Asimov, Isaac", "Mystery", and "SF", for example, and then it would show up in all three collections.
Very true.

Multi level tags would be the best IMO, I have no idea if such a thing is possible.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I disagree (at least for the Sony). On the Sony, Collections are references to Books. Or are you talking about Calibre's ability to generate collections for Sony?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I disagree (at least for the Sony). On the Sony, Collections are references to Books. Or are you talking about Calibre's ability to generate collections for Sony?
I'm afraid you've slightly lost me, John. Which part of what I wrote is it that you're disagreeing with?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm afraid you've slightly lost me, John. Which part of what I wrote is it that you're disagreeing with?
The "which are really tags, of course" part. Sorry for the confusion, I meant to italicize that part of your quote.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Collections are indeed tags which are applied to books. The listing of books in a collection is simply a list of all the books to which that particular tag has been attached.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I think I disagree, depending on your definition of "tag".

I'm only talking about Sonys (and the Reader Library) now. Each book has an ID. A collection is a list of book IDs.

For example, say you have two books on a Sony, b1 and b2. b1 would have ID id1 and b2 would have ID id2. b1 has tags t1, t2, and t3. Book two has tags t3, t4, and t5.

Let say I create a collection, c1, that contains books b1 and b2. The collection c1 would consists of a list of IDs id1 and id2. The tags are not in the collection list.

If you look at the media.xml on the Sonys, you will see a list of IDs for a collection, not a list of tags.

This is my understanding of Sony collections. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Books