Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
rate this thread underused

am i the only one that has found the rate this thread box in these forums?

i rated a bunch and waited for others to follow me. i must be a bad leader or a politician since nobody followed.

karma, that i can give away. thread ratings it seems nobody wants.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think you've done a lot to help revolutionize the way we think about karma. And even though most of us don't care all that much about our karma score, it still feels really great when someone takes a moment to give karma and appreciate something that you've done. Most of us won't admit it (and I'm certainly not asking for karma), but everyone likes to realize someone appreciates them.

Personally, I hadn't even noticed the thread ratings. It will be interesting to see if people will use them over time. But imagine if it became commonplace. It would be pretty neat to have the most useful threads singled out that way instead of depending on stickies and post counts.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'll give it a shot. I am sure that I did it once or twice but quickly forgot about it. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking that I noticed and did something.

Either way it seems worth an effort.

Good show Uncle Duke.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think I'd ever even noticed the Rating feature!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I think you've done a lot to help revolutionize the way we think about karma. And even though most of us don't care all that much about our karma score, it still feels really great when someone takes a moment to give karma and appreciate something that you've done. Most of us won't admit it (and I'm certainly not asking for karma), but everyone likes to realize someone appreciates them.

Personally, I hadn't even noticed the thread ratings. It will be interesting to see if people will use them over time. But imagine if it became commonplace. It would be pretty neat to have the most useful threads singled out that way instead of depending on stickies and post counts.
i always wanted to be a revolutionary and i am happy to be a catalyst for that revolution. your kind words would make me blush if you could see through the beard.

sure we count 'em, we just don't get fooled by 'em. i give a lot of karma for the sony books put on the site. you don't get any for saying nice things about me although we do reward truth so that's another reason for no karma for you on this one.

so to evetyone else GO RATE A THREAD TODAY!
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts

come on people, you're not rating threads

ok, so even i have slacked off a bit

but i will try harder, call me avis
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Duke's gonna bump this into submission... lol, just kidding! It is a good idea, though I haven't exercised my use of the rating system yet either. I think this is because I think most of the threads I read here are pretty good as-is (maybe I'm too easy to please).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What is a point?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Not that rating threads is useless, but isn't the number of 'posts' or 'views' a better indicator of popularity? For example: I don't have time to read everything so I tend to skip book titles, Irex forums and programming forums (people don't want to see me there )
Just one look at a thread title, the numbers of posts and views and sometimes who wrote last, will steer me towards or clear.

The stars usually say nothing to me because they are totally subjective to the interests of those blogging on a particular thread. If a prog thread says 5 stars I'll still keep clear because I understand nothing of it anyway.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I never pay attention to thread rating.

I am subsribed to 5 or 6 daily forum updates. They show me all the new threads as well as replies to old threads. I usually subscribe to interesting threads too.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I just abuse the new-posts search, that way I see everything, though I don't always read it all, there's just too much to do that with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I just abuse the new-posts search, that way I see everything, though I don't always read it all, there's just too much to do that with.
The same here. My life at MR got a lot easier the day I discovered that I could see all the threads that were updated in the last 24 hours. A great boon to my time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The same here. My life at MR got a lot easier the day I discovered that I could see all the threads that were updated in the last 24 hours. A great boon to my time.
Hey! It's the only way to efficatiously navigate this site. And if I have less time I'll just peek in my 'User CP' to see where my Subscribed threads are at.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote