Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Nature (journal) special on scientific publishing

Nature (journal) special on scientific publishing

Was recently sent this link. It's from over a month ago but a quick search didn't turn up any threads so I apologise if there is an existing thread. I haven't yet read any of the articles but I know a lot of scientists that use Google Scholar in preference over the professional (paid) searches.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Google Scholar is just an indexing machine providing links to journals, so in most cases you still need access to the journals to access the papers. That being said I do use Google Scholar a lot - Its search function is better than that of Pubmed, but Google does have a bit of expert experience in that area, or so I've heard.

And regarding the link you posted - Sham journals scamming authors is definitely a problem. They are pretty annoying also. I get emails from them once in a while.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Thanks a lot for sharing this Nature special.

Quote:
Disciplinary action
How scientists share and reuse information is driven by technology but shaped by discipline.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

Sham journals scam authors
Con artists are stealing the identities of real journals to cheat scientists out of publishing fees.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

The true cost of science publishing
Cheap open-access journals raise questions about the value publishers add for their money.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

The library reboot
As scientific publishing moves to embrace open data, libraries and researchers are trying to keep up.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

The dark side of publishing
The explosion in open-access publishing has fuelled the rise of questionable operators.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

Beyond the paper
The journal and article are being superseded by algorithms that filter, rate and disseminate scholarship as it happens, argues Jason Priem.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

A fool's errand
Objections to the Creative Commons attribution licence are straw men raised by parties who want open access to be as closed as possible, warns John Wilbanks.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

How to hasten open access
Three advocates for a universally free scholarly literature give their prescriptions for the movement’s next push, from findability to translations.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

Q&A: Knowledge liberator
Robert Darnton heads the world's largest collection of academic publications, the Harvard University Library system. He is also a driver behind the new Digital Public Library of America. Ahead of its launch in April, he talks about Google, science journals and the open-access debate.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )

Open to possibilities
Opting for open access means considering costs, journal prestige and career implications.
Nature ( 28 March 2013 )
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wow, cool!

manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'm just wondering if it's possible to download the articles as epub files?

We can download them as pdf files, but what about epub?
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF is the norm for scientific publishing (at present, at least).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh so sad no epub. Well I'll read on my computer then.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PDF is the norm for scientific publishing (at present, at least).
Pubmed actually makes quite a few PMC free articles available in epub format these days.

I do have to admit that I can't really get into reading articles with scientific figures on my kindle or Sony reader though.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I generally try and read them on my asus, but I have to confess there are times when I print them out. It's so much easier to flip back and forth between pages, particularly when diagrams are on a different page to the text discussing them.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
manfred63
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I generally try and read them on my asus, but I have to confess there are times when I print them out. It's so much easier to flip back and forth between pages, particularly when diagrams are on a different page to the text discussing them.
Maybe things get easier when A4 PDF reading deveices get cheaper and more mainstream.